Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!

From a discussion from another post, I would like to know how everyone else feels. I sure this has been mentioned before so forgive me for the redux.

I know everyone wants a great deal BUT remember one thing folks, when the dealerships start negotiating, resale values plummet!!! I don't care for spending 20G's on a motorcycle as much as anyone else, but that is the "love" I show for owning American Made and Harley Davidson! I would hate to think that in 3 years, I have no other choice than to lose 5 grand or more on the sale of my Harley. One of the things that takes the sting out of paying that much or it new is the comforting thought that I will (probably) get most of my money back when I want to sell and upgrade. Hearing things like "Dealerships are starting to cut prices on new bikes" or "production is up" or "New Harley plant opening" makes me alittle nervous. That's just very humble opinion but I feel strongly about it.
What do you think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4802/2C283242FDE14C2D99AD0AAF6E920E21.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
timbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!

I think factory supply and customer demand has more to do with how the dealer handles it's sales practices than any one dealer has control over. It's kind of how the car manufacturers are now. GM is giving heavy discounts on SUV and the other cars they offer because the market is super slow for most of their models. Now, if they gave a big discount on the Vettes everyone would be in line to pony up for one including me. And of course you know it won't ever come to that so the prices for Vettes remain the same, high with a steady demand.

IMO, to control HD's prices it's pretty much out of the dealers hands. All the factory has to do is trim production. But we've already opened pandora's box ever since making the stock publicly traded. They now have investors and numbers to meet which causes a whole windfall of tough calls and checks and balances to be made to sustain business as well as the investor pool. Going public was a catch 22. They can't just do whatever they feel like anymore without pissing off both sides. But it's nice having the extra fundage.

I'm no business analyst by any stretch. But that's just my take on it.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Loch
Tourer

Is there a difference between these two?

Buy new for $20k and sell a few years later for $17k
Or
Buy new for $18k and sell a few years later for $15k

Now if you bought for $20k and now the market allows negotiation and you can only sell your used bike for $15k well then you’re the victim of market timing.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Jonpaul
Cruiser

All I know is that I paid way more than my bike is worth.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

JonPaul

If you bought yours based on perceived value, go ahead and sell it before you take a loss. But if you bought it to ride, to have your knees in the breeze, your face in the wind, to feel like the dog with his head out the window, for the sheer enjoyment of the feeling of flying, to smell the flowers as you motor past, to hear the sound of cows, and dogs and horses, kids playing, birds chirping, to feel alive......then I'd say you got yours at a bargain !

I did

Bubba

Old 02-02-2006, 04:46 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost every motor vehicle dealer has a need to turn their inventory.

Winter in the Northern areas is a good time to negotiate on a new bike. Dealers seem to be more willing to take less profit to keep their capital churning.

Fixing the price universally strikes me as similar to how DeBeers manipulates the price of diamonds. And not something that is needed in the Harley market.

The MOCO just needs to balance supply and demand. The dealers need to learn that having the HD logo over the door is not in itself a license to steal.

Ultimately it comes down to the consumer. If we would all take a step back when drooling over that new bike or add-on and remember that there is a difference between "want" and "need" we will all be better off.

During the Anniversary year the MOCO stepped up production but people were standing in line to get a Harley, any Harley. More than a few were purchased just for investment and have never been on the road.

I started looking for a new HD in the Spring of 03 and thought I was going to have to b-tch slap the sales weasels. The sale would not have been completed if I had not pushed it along. They flat did not care. If I did not buy it, well someone else would be right along who would and pay any kind of price.

Just my 2¢

Old 02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
JeffD
Tourer

I'm hoping mine is worn out from riding, and not worth ****. It will mean I got my money's worth out of it.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jeff, That's how I see it too. I bought it to ride.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 PM
FLHR143
Cruiser

Amen, Bubba!

Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

yea i paid alot for my scoot and i dont really think about it . i bought to ride and i will ride the wheels off if i can . but if the e.p.a. has there way i would rather just buy a new motor or keep rebuilding it so i can have what i do now .

Quick Reply: I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!