General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!

Agreed.

Bought them to ride.

It will be a long time before I part with either one.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
redscout
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure see the point... It's the same with used cars right now. They're not worth crap because it's so cheap to get a new one. If it's getting cheaper to get a new Harley, it's going to be a lot cheaper to get a used one (ours).

This is only an issue if we're planning to sell or trade though, so maybe it's best if we just hang on to the ones we got. That's my plan anyway. It's not like the technology has changed so much that a new one would be better, so it's more of a status thing, isn't it? I went from a '90 to an '03, so with that tenure in mind, it'll be 2016 before I need to get a new one....

Old 02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
timbo
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Jonpaul

All I know is that I paid way more than my bike is worth.
For as much as I've spent on mine my photo ought to be next to the word "idiot" in the dictionary.[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 02-02-2006, 05:23 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, ride the hell out of it but when you need to upgrade, it's just smart business.

If all you wanted was to feel the breeze and "feel alive", then you could have done the same thing on a very good $6000 Honda, but we all know THAT'S not why you bought American and Harley and THAT'S why you laid down 15-20G's.

I am in no way knocking Jeff's sentiment's of which I totally agree and that's how I feel about it. Ride, ride, ride the damn thing but chances are (for most of us I would humbly assume) very good that I will want to resell my current Harley before it's falling apart and get something newer, flashier, more comfortable etc.
Example: I started out as an in town rider only. Bar hopping and an occasional ride through the country area's here in northern Indiana. As I have been riding for quite a few years now, I find myself riding more and more highway miles, so I assume I will eventually keep replacing as I grow older and my riding habits change. Hell, I just bought my beautiful Deuce this year already drooling over the 30 grand custom Fatboy! LOL!

Also, and I, for one, will admit this selfishness, I know that I feel alittle special riding a bike, I know, that not EVERYONE can afford. I'm sure that's like many other things in life.

I do know THIS though, if a 2006 Harley Deuce costed only $2000, THAT is what I would still be riding. So, maybe it all means nothing. All I know now is that my monthly payment is lower on my 2006 Deuce than it was on my 2000 Superglide which costed $5000 less AND that's only because I got great resale value on the Superglide which afforded me the opportunity to put more money down on the Deuce.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying a Harley as an investment is a crazy idea. You would have been much better off buy Harley stock.
ORIGINAL: SpeedsterX

I agree, ride the hell out of it but when you need to upgrade, it's just smart business.

If all you wanted was to feel the breeze and "feel alive", then you could have done the same thing on a very good $6000 Honda, but we all know THAT'S not why you bought American and Harley and THAT'S why you laid down 15-20G's.

I am in no way knocking Jeff's sentiment's of which I totally agree and that's how I feel about it. Ride, ride, ride the damn thing but chances are (for most of us I would humbly assume) very good that I will want to resell my current Harley before it's falling apart and get something newer, flashier, more comfortable etc.
Example: I started out as an in town rider only. Bar hopping and an occasional ride through the country area's here in northern Indiana. As I have been riding for quite a few years now, I find myself riding more and more highway miles, so I assume I will eventually keep replacing as I grow older and my riding habits change. Hell, I just bought my beautiful Deuce this year already drooling over the 30 grand custom Fatboy! LOL!

Also, and I, for one, will admit this selfishness, I know that I feel alittle special riding a bike, I know, that not EVERYONE can afford. I'm sure that's like many other things in life.

I do know THIS though, if a 2006 Harley Deuce costed only $2000, THAT is what I would still be riding. So, maybe it all means nothing. All I know now is that my monthly payment is lower on my 2006 Deuce than it was on my 2000 Superglide which costed $5000 less AND that's only because I got great resale value on the Superglide which afforded me the opportunity to put more money down on the Deuce.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

I yearn for the day when the dealer's have to play the car-dealer-game. Drop the prices on the new bikes, force some of the stealers out of business, and let those used bike prices drop! I never buy new, so it's a good situation for me.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
JeffD
Tourer

Will the older bikes that are exempt from the emissions BS go UP in value, as in they will be the only bikes you can still play around with.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SpeedsterX

From a discussion from another post, I would like to know how everyone else feels. I sure this has been mentioned before so forgive me for the redux.

I know everyone wants a great deal BUT remember one thing folks, when the dealerships start negotiating, resale values plummet!!! I don't care for spending 20G's on a motorcycle as much as anyone else, but that is the "love" I show for owning American Made and Harley Davidson! I would hate to think that in 3 years, I have no other choice than to lose 5 grand or more on the sale of my Harley. One of the things that takes the sting out of paying that much or it new is the comforting thought that I will (probably) get most of my money back when I want to sell and upgrade. Hearing things like "Dealerships are starting to cut prices on new bikes" or "production is up" or "New Harley plant opening" makes me alittle nervous. That's just very humble opinion but I feel strongly about it.
What do you think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4802/2C283242FDE14C2D99AD0AAF6E920E21.jpg[/IMG]
I don't want you having to negotiate either. That way, the dealerships will have more leeway to deal with my hardball style of negotiating.

You don't understand fundamental economics and, apparently the value of knowing how to negotiate and preserve assets. IMO, smart people buy motorcycles for the fun factor, not resale. If you're worried about resale, go buy a Honda really cheap and sell it really cheap. That way, you can invest the money you would have spent on a Harley and come out ahead monetarily.

Additionally, people that have to think too long whether they can afford a Harley or not....can't afford one. [8D]

Old 02-02-2006, 11:06 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind giving the dealer his profit margin.
That said, I want my visit to be everything I expect.
I want competent, timely service, and I want high quality products.
So far, I am very satisfied.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

That's toys and hobbie you pay for the enjoyment nothing else. You will always lose no matter what you do. You can keep the bike for 10 year sand ride only a 100 mile and the bike will still be worth less.

Quick Reply: I, for one, don't want dealerships negotiating on new bikes!