General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating new bikers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating new bikers

Yesterday some friends asked me to help them out with a film they were making, and one character is the father of another that is a biker. There were only a couple lines in it, but they tossed the character in since they knew I was a motorcycle nut, and they figured it would be a cool thing to have in their film.

So, with my wife on the back, I followed them on a 90 mile trek out to some property one of their fathers owns. We stopped at a Dairy Queen on the way and over half the people in the group started saying that they were seriously thinking about getting motorcycles (with one guy pointing out that he wants a Harley now). What might have also helped is that I suggested an alternate route for their trip out there. They were set to follow the route the guy that owns the property suggested, which was all interstates. I steered them up to the more rural highways I use to get out to that neck of the woods, so they saw all the other bikers out taking advantage of a pretty nice day for riding. I think they sort dug it.

On aside note, I got my first run on the Sportster riding down a dirt road for about a mile or so to their property. I'd ridden on dirt with an enduro motorcycle before, but I wasn't sure what to expect riding dirt with street tires. It wasn't that bad (though I did take it easy and kept it pretty slow).

Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior
Default RE: Creating new bikers

so where did you shoot at ? if you are in Plano it could be several different places
90 miles south down by Fairfield
90miles east greenville / Tyler / Palestine basic east texas
south to Hillsboro
west to the falls

who did you shoot with might be some I know
as I bought my shovel off an actor from Walker

Old 03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz
We stopped at a Dairy Queen on the way and over half the people in the group started saying that they were seriously thinking about getting motorcycles (with one guy pointing out that he wants a Harley now).
Not trying to suck the air out of your story, but that reminds me of a time I was at a gathering of cars/bikes with some friends (mostly car guys).A couple of guysmade comments about getting bikes,and I was relaying that to a buddy of mine. He said sarcastically, "everyone's always getting a bike." Another friend remarked how all the older guys he knew "used to have a bike." I'm not sure what my point is, but I guess it's kinda like that Harley commercial where the guy at the gas station tells the HD rider he almost bought a Harley, but opted for a killer dinette set. Don't get me wrong, I tell everyone who'll listen how great riding is; and I wish more of my friends had bikes. But over the years I've known quite a few folks who talked big about getting a bike, I tell them to let me know when they do and we'll go riding, but they still haven't called.

Anyway, good luck with the movie. Let us know when it comes out.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its gonna be a azz kickin movie I bet!!!

Ice cream eatin bikers, venture off the interstate!!!

Ohhh the thrills,, the spills,,,, the chills....

wheres my pills!!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

The property we were using was about 25 miles south of Paris. I basically steered them away from going down to 635 and over on 30 to instead going up to 380, through Greenville, and up 24. It is pretty much a simple amature short film these guys are doing, so nothing too fancy, but still fun to do (plus it never hurts to have a destination for a ride on the weekend).

But over the years I've known quite a few folks who talked big about getting a bike, I tell them to let me know when they do and we'll go riding, but they still haven't called.
As for any of these guys getting a motorcycle, well, I doubt most of them will. There is one guy in the group that seems the type, but it's like you said, most of the time it doesn't happen. I definately "spread the word" amongst friends and people at the office, and I have 3 guys here that have mentioned wanting to buy my Sportster if I sell it at some point.

I just figure it's always a positive for people to say they are interested as opposed to what half my family and some people I know say, which is "I would never ride one of those deathtraps".