General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Hilton Head, SC Riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for Hilton Head, SC Riders

We've vacationed here for many years and since I got back into motorcycling a year ago a question has come to mind. I see bikes all the time out in the main, public areas of the island but I can't recall ever seeing one inside the plantations. We've stayed in Sea Pines, Shipyard, and Palmetto Dunes. I'm currently renting a condo for the week in Shipyard and the rental agreement specifically stated no motorcycles allowed! Is this just a rule with this rental company or is it an island law that motorcycles are not permitted through the gates into the plantations? What if you're an owner vs. a renter? Same rule?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question for Hilton Head, SC Riders

OK, sorry. I posted my question before I went to the search function and found several threads about this. They were all pretty old, though. If anyone has any recent info on actual laws on the island (I guess plantation bylaws, homeowner's assoc. rules, etc count as laws) or any challenges or pending changes I'd love to hear about them. We were actually thinking of buying something on the island with the market the way it is but now I'm not so sure.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

No muttersickles allowed. One guy wasn't even allowed to trailer his bike into his own condo. We used to catch crap from the rent-a-pigs 'cause we were riding bikes on the public (state) highways going to the public beach.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

besides, you wouldnt look cool riding your bike in golf/tennis shoes!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:51 AM
johnnyhonda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister lives in Harbor Town, no bikes allowed. I think you can trailer one to your house if you live there. You can thank loud pipes for such restrictions.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Homeowners assn. rules prevail. They vary from plantation to plantation, including no bikesat all, rolling or trailered. I know of some folks that keep theirs off site in storage and take the car to get the bikes, then back in the car to go home. Besides noise, some folks don't care for the lifestyle and company kept. BIG bucks at those plantations. Descrimination? You bet. Private Property.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: e6fmf

Homeowners assn. rules prevail. They vary from plantation to plantation, including no bikesat all, rolling or trailered. I know of some folks that keep theirs off site in storage and take the car to get the bikes, then back in the car to go home. Besides noise, some folks don't care for the lifestyle and company kept. BIG bucks at those plantations. Descrimination? You bet. Private Property.
And they call that "living"? Geez, I call it Gestapo. Nuff said concerning that "chit".