General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Forced on bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM
DWG05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Forced on bikes???

I notice more and more cars with Tire Pressure Monitor Systems on them plus it will be mandatory in 09 for all cars and trucks. I wonder how long before they force it onto motorcycles as well. Just aside item to pass along concerning TPMS: 1) DO NOT leave the dust caps off as the cores will corrode in and not come out! My neighbor took hers off making it easier to check the tires and this winters salt bound the cores in. Cost her over $400.00 for new sensors.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Default RE: TPMS Forced on bikes???

I think it is a good idea and would gladly pay for a retro kit for my '08 if one becomes avail. Safety is something of value to me.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have TPMS on my Yukon Denali and was driving to Key West when I picked up somebodys allen wrench in my back tire on the Seven Mile Bridge. The alarm went off when the tire hit 23lbs of pressure and I was able install a temporary plug and to keep pumping air into it until I got to my hotel, unloaded the kiddies & gear and made it to Sears Auto Center in KW to get a high speed plug installed. I am still running that tire today and it is fine. So I avoided the whole flat tire on the bridge (unloading 57 suitcases & jacking a 6000lb truck) scenario plus having to buy a new tire to drive the 1400 miles home. Definitely a nice system.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not an issue of "it is a geat idea"........ It is an issue of the federal government MANDATING something that it has no business even being involved with.

Every day I feel more and more that George Orwell was right all along............................

Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ChiefGator

It is not an issue of "it is a geat idea"........ It is an issue of the federal government MANDATING something that it has no business even being involved with.

Every day I feel more and more that George Orwell was right all along............................
You are so right... it's the effect that stupid worthless people have on society. The are too many hand-wringing libs out there that believe that the chronically stupid need to be protected from themselves [sm=headbang.gif][sm=rant.gif]...

Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
the metal
Banned

run flat tires coming standard on many autos makes it mandatory for car manufacturers to fit a system where the drivers are made aware the run-flat has been damaged.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wifes car has that system on occasion the light will come on and I can never find any thing wrong I think it is where she parks her car (on a side hill) worthless light I don't need when are they going to put one in the glove box to tell us it's full or maybe the ashtray how about windshield wipers when worn out?? some people still have the sence to look at thier own car now and then..

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Hmmmm Run Flat tires........tire pressure lights............
ya know, HUMVEE's use runflats, and in all the missions I rode in, I never once saw a tire pressure light.... I don't see the connection...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They really need to use nitrogen in tires that have the sensors.

The Chrysler Crossfire I used to lease, (I miss that car) had 2 of them go bad. Dealer said what happens is with air in the tire it's subjecct to a lot of condensation inside. That causes the sensors to corrode.
Nitrogen I guess is much better in that respect.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not sure why they charged her $400, I just bought a new one for $35. The main reason the gov. is getting involved is gas mileage. A car with under inflated tire uses more fuel plus the safety factor. If Harley Davidson said "We will be putting TPMS on all our bikes" most people wouldn't care. The problem is when the would mandate is used then we get all bent. I have on car that you can check each tire with a push of a button and it tells the pressure, I have another car that has just a light that means a tire is low you figure which one. It's kind of like ABS some will like it some won't. But for now it's not mandated for bikes

Quick Reply: TPMS Forced on bikes???