General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more reason HD dealers piss me off...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
barkster99
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more reason HD dealers **** me off...

Looking for new tiresfor my RK, Metzs or Avons. Local HD dealer wants full MSRP plus 2 hours labor. Another HD dealer nearby wants full MSRP plus 2-3 hourslabor. Looking at $500 easy. Neither dealer will have anything todo with parts that I buy somewhere else.

Just for kicks, I stop at local metric dealer. Really wasn't sure if they were even interested. Quotes me about 20% under MSRP and, his idea, says he'll match any price I find online. They're happy to do thework if I buy the tires somewhere else. $20/tire if I want to just bring in wheels and tires. Nice, friendly folks. I'm going to take his first quote, just to keep my money local and thank him for being around.

Could be looking at metric formy next bike??? Well, that's pushing it but...

Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 AM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Default RE: One more reason HD dealers **** me off...

Doesn't hurt to shop around for a better deal. The reason the dealership won't put on what you buy is because they can't warranty them and if they do go bad and they do the work it will be on them. Just be careful of what you buy. Sometimes cheap isn't a good deal.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: barkster99

Looking for new tiresfor my RK, Metzs or Avons. Local HD dealer wants full MSRP plus 2 hours labor. Another HD dealer nearby wants full MSRP plus 2-3 hourslabor. Looking at $500 easy. Neither dealer will have anything todo with parts that I buy somewhere else.

Just for kicks, I stop at local metric dealer. Really wasn't sure if they were even interested. Quotes me about 20% under MSRP and, his idea, says he'll match any price I find online. They're happy to do thework if I buy the tires somewhere else. $20/tire if I want to just bring in wheels and tires. Nice, friendly folks. I'm going to take his first quote, just to keep my money local and thank him for being around.

Could be looking at metric formy next bike??? Well, that's pushing it but...
Just as a word of caution, make sure that the 'metric' shop is going to do a spin balance...
The Avons (Venoms) are great tires... I put those on my RK - along with the 'heavy' fork oil... My King handles WAY better than my buddies stock set-up.

On a side note...
The Harley quotesseem way outta line - but, hey, they gotta pay for those big fancy T-shirt showrooms. Also, those display ranks for H-D dog toys get expensive too.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there some new trick that's developed in the last 20 years? I used to change tires and tubes with no problems using a couple of screwdrivers back in the day. There's no way I'd pay a dealership even an hour's labor for 30 minutes of work (and that's with the screwdrivers!). I could maybe understand if it was a radial on cast wheels and had no tube. But that would only be because I don't have a compressor powerful enough to re-seat the bead.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found an independant motorcycle shop that charges half the dealerships prices for just about any service. I only take my bike to the dealership for warranty work.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dealer will do any work I want whether I buy parts form them or bring in my own. They don't care as long as the parts are quality stuff. One thing they do stress is to make sure you have ALL the parts you need in hand before you come in. When I did my stage 1 I bought all my stuff from Zanotti's and brought it all with me. They didn't say a word. I would keep shopping.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 AM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would never even think i could get a reaonable deal on tires from a vehicle dealer- car, bike, whatever.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't take my truck to the Dodge dealer for tires... why would I take my bike to a dealer?

Then again, I use an indy for everything I cannot do myself. (Redline Total Cycle Performance, Pensacola FL)

Old 03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

I took my Dodge truck to a Ford dealer for tires and got the best deal on name brand tires and have sent my buddy with his Caddy there and he could't believe the deals on new tires. Just mabe some dealers are starting to get it.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My indy is great. I bring him the tire I get on a discount at my local metric shop where a buddy works - metric shop won't do Harleys -and hemounts/balancesit for an hour labor charge.

Quick Reply: One more reason HD dealers piss me off...