General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more reason HD dealers piss me off...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: One more reason HD dealers **** me off...

i take my wheels and new tires to a loval metric shop $20.00 each mount & balance

Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been fortunate enough to find an authorized private shop that deals strictly in hd. The mechanic named rafeal (a perfectionist)is one of the best around and the owner of the shop is a computer wiz so he has access to see if parts are availablefromhd and aftermarket manufacturers. Their shop rate is a little lower than hd but when things are done...there done right. Their prices are competitive on all parts and accessories. It's true personal service from a couple of guys who care. If anyone needs great service when you're riding thru Toronto, Ontario, Canada area look these guys up. Bikers Dream in Mississauga.

http://www.bikersdream.ca ask for Frank and tell him Cliffy sent ya!!

Life is Great....We all Ride!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/9A211651C57C4D6FA84C6D9477DDF7B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Georgia Rider
Cruiser

My indy charged me $50 to mount a Metzler on the rear that I bought at a local cycle tire store.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only bought my tires from the HD dealer due to a special they had in January. They had 2 for 1 deal so I got them for 360 bucks out the door. I had called them in December and they wanted 598 bucks for the same set. That said, I called a real good place here that deals with all makes and models and they're normal price was 400 bucks mounted and installed!! So technically, if not for the 2-1 deal at the HD dealer, they were 200 bucks cheaper!!! I avoid the dealer as much as possible...although, I admit I do love their FREE pickup and delivery during July and August when it's hot as hell here....

Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

I only bought my tires from the HD dealer due to a special they had in January. They had 2 for 1 deal so I got them for 360 bucks out the door. I had called them in December and they wanted 598 bucks for the same set. That said, I called a real good place here that deals with all makes and models and they're normal price was 400 bucks mounted and installed!! So technically, if not for the 2-1 deal at the HD dealer, they were 200 bucks cheaper!!! I avoid the dealer as much as possible...although, I admit I do love their FREE pickup and delivery during July and August when it's hot as hell here....
Wuss.....just a little heat!

I have had my wheels done at a place down on Washington Ave in downtown Phoenix (more or less) called The Wheel Shop. Prices matched thedeals I found online for the tires I wanted (Avon's in this case), and they charged something like $20/wheel. That was for my Buell, and they did the same thing for my Lowrider about a year later. When I had 18" wheels put on my EG, Bikers Bay did the work (including ordering the tires, they'll even order them from where you found the best deal, or match the price!), and couldn't be happier. It was about $350 for the tires and install.

I went to Chandler HD for tires for my Buell (where I bought it from), and they wanted full price. I told them Chosa's (now Chester's) was doing a special, free mounting and install, and they basically told me "That's Chosa's". I proceeded to tell them they'd never get service from me ever again, including any bike purchases. Their loss.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:52 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the balance machine at the local indi much better than the one they use at the local HD Dealer. Whenever I need new tires for my bike, I just bring in the tire and wheel to the indi shop, and have them mount and balance it for me. The HD dealer would do exactly the same job for just a few bucks more, but they are using some sort of el cheapo balancer.

You just need to shop around for a HD dealer that will do the right thing.....or just be a bit more persuasive at your local dealer. Go on to tell them about how much money you spend there....and yada-yada.....I want to talk with the owner yada yada......you know that works once in a while.
Either that or just find a HD dealer where you like their parts/service policies. No need to switch from your choice of ride......but if you got to go metric......see ya.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Just left the dealer today with 2 WWW's for my SG. $356 out the door. No specials, no deals, just the normal 10% you get for being a HOG member.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Front and rearDunlop D402s from American Moto Tire--$202 including shipping. Mount them myself with C clamps to break the old bead and tire irons/rimprotectorsto mount the new.

Balance by setting axle across two kitchen chairs, spinning several times and marking the spots it comes to rest with chalk. If the chalk marks are randomly distributed, it's balanced. If not, add a weight across from the heavy spot and do it again.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

my Indy says give him first crack at price tires of choiceof tiresmounted and balanced and said if can beat his price take off changedmounted and balanced will mount and balance them free...

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
LimeNine9r
Tourer

I bought mine (240mm x18 rear and 21"front) for something like $263.
me and a buddy installed 'em with the homemade tire changer
Here's a picture of the new tire - thinking I should've went
with Metzler again, just don't know if I like the tread pattern
on this Harley Dunlop

Quick Reply: One more reason HD dealers piss me off...