General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheepskin Cover for Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:42 AM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...H-D's geniune sheepskin cover (#52060-98) is actually made by Mustang. Worth every penny! Especially with my 20% discount. Tailor made to the touring saddle with form fittin elastic to keep things snug. For 2-up travel it keeps Mama happy and outta my ear. Mine has never been washed (2yrs, 25k) and doesn't smell.

While it's not waterproof, it beads up very well. For overnight parking, I still use the rainproof cover to keep the morning dew off.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We love our sheep skin, it saves us from burning our butte on hot-in-the-sun seats, warm in our fall runs, dry when it rains, (dh lifts it up and covers the 'boys'). Ours is a sheep skin, as in skin from a sheep, like you would lay out in front of a fireplace. We toss it on the bike, tuck it under the passenger hand grips, done in 10 seconds. Its the 'saddle blanket' for our 'iron horse'. Pull it off at night, toss it over a chair, it drys well, no smell. Black on our Black Pearl. Win win.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

+1 for Alaska Leather. I've gotten mine wet and used the instructions to dry it out. I live in the deep south and needless to say you sweat like a pig in the summer on a harley, with all that I've never had a problem with the pad stinking. I also bought a couple of battery tender juniors from AL; great products, great service.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Bee_Kate
Advanced

The smell spoken of in earlier posts is not because they are dirty...unless they get really disgusting I suppose and then it won't be because of the hide. lol
It is that the wool has a naturally strong smell when it gets washed (like a big ol' wet dog) and when it dries, it goes away. If someone doesn't know that about wool, they might mistake it for being horribly dirty.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Some of them are not as good and i have been told that the fur sheds easier...I bought mine at a rally and have had it for 40k miles? kepps butt cooler butt the best thing i have done now is to buy compression shorts like Under Armour boxer jox. Combination is awesome.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
08UC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bee_Kate
I just used the search tool to find talk of washing the sheepskin.

I washed mine in the tub this week, using a regular shampoo/hair conditioner. Gave it a good brushing before I got it wet to try to get the mats out as best as possible. Got it good and wet, massaged the shampoo through and rinsed the crap out of afterward. put it on a rack to dry, brushed it again and it is as good as new. I am quite thrilled at the outcome.

In regard to the smell that wool has when it is wet, yes.... it does have a particular odor. Kind of like a big old wet dog. It has nothing to do with being rotten or anything, it is just how it is. When it is dry, it goes away.

lmao

oh wait
sheepskin
lol
hi bee
i don't think i have ever washed my 'sheepskin' i just leave it on when it rains, most of the time. and give it (sheepskin) a good shake now and then.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Bee_Kate
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08UC
lmao

oh wait
sheepskin
lol
hi bee
i don't think i have ever washed my 'sheepskin' i just leave it on when it rains, most of the time. and give it (sheepskin) a good shake now and then.
I see you behind your sofa!!

I was caught in a couple of giant rain/hail storms a couple of years ago and the fur matted up a bit. A brushing and a washing got it fat...I mean fluffy again. lol

Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 AM
minordl
Novice
Talking Its all about the underwear!

Have used both the alaskan leather & cover from Harley and they both work great. That being said, the best buy you will ever make is under armour underwear.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

I bought mine for about $60.00 at Myrtle Beach http://www.mistymountainsheepskin.com/ during a rally a couple years ago and it works pretty good.. i did find the link. The HD one is really nice also.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

This is what I have on my bike, works preety good-

http://www.sheepyhollow.com/

Bob
97 Heritage

Quick Reply: Sheepskin Cover for Seat