General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a question on paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question on paint

I hope someone who knows paint can answer this for me

I saw a blue paint job the other day (if I could have asked the guy what it was I would have) it had a metallic finish to it and from a distance it really reached out and grabbed you by the short and curlies. I can only describe it as a neon laser metallic blue.(or something to that effect)

depending on how the sun hit the tank and the lines of the fender it seemed to jump out at you. when your in close it's almost like you can reach right into the paint with the metallic sheen just sparkling

I've never seen a blue paint job like it before it was incredible

I've asked a couple body shops around here but no one seems to have any clue what I'm talking about.

does this kind of colour strike a chord with anyone?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: a question on paint

There are soooo many colors out there now, it would be near impossible to guess the name of that paint. If you're really interested in finding out, go to your local auto paint supplier and ask them to look at the color samples they have. I'm sure there will be volumes of colors you will see. In fact there will be so many, you will be confused after a couple of hours. Thats about the best way to find out, or at least come close.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 AM
edtexas
Cruiser

go to web, type in "pics of thunderbird blue 2002'. This is an
extremely bright blue with great metallic reflections in bright
sunlight. You can find dozens of pictures of this colorunder this heading in a variety of lighting conditions.
I plan to paint my Road king w/stretched bags & fat fender in this color this summer. Chrome looks awesome against this color. It's called thunderbird blue and I have the color code for it if you want it, you can pm me. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's made by Dupont, I've seen several Corvettes painted with it, it kinda changes colors when you move, sorry I forgot it's trade name, but is probably named "real expensive".

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bowtieman31

There are soooo many colors out there now, it would be near impossible to guess the name of that paint. If you're really interested in finding out, go to your local auto paint supplier and ask them to look at the color samples they have. I'm sure there will be volumes of colors you will see. In fact there will be so many, you will be confused after a couple of hours. Thats about the best way to find out, or at least come close.
great idea.....I'm going to do that this week. I'm not too sure about that 'thunderbird' blue though, but it is hard to decide from a photo.

thanks guys for your input