General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Bike Repairs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 PM
bragz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Bike Repairs.

Greetings all,
Looks like Im FINALLY gonna get a Harley in the middle of Feb. Closing on the sale of my home and gonna pull the trigger. My question is this. I would really like to learn how to do most of my own mechanical work. I do not have much experience. Messed around with my yz250 years ago. The bike I am getting is a 94 heritage classic. I was thinking of going to the local salvage yard and picking up a wrecked bike for the sole purpose of taking apart and rebuilding various components along with a repair manual trying to teach myself. I have worked with rebuilding various machine parts before just never on any type of vehicle. Do you mechanics out there think I can actually learn enough this way to be able to do repairs or should I just not worry about it and leave it to the pros? THX

Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Haji4
Tourer
Default RE: Question on Bike Repairs.

I have never don anr work on bikes and I was given a 1980 Sportser rolling Chasis and 5 boxes of parts. I got a owners manual and A parts guide and put it together. The best part is when you start it up and ride it for the first time. The bike belongs to my Brother-in-Law and he let me use it if I put it together. Now I just tore apart my 84 Custom Sporty and I am going to do it again. I have an 89 Stock 1200 Sportster that I ride and work on. You will have no problems if you like doing that kind of stuff. And you must have the shop space and the tools to do the job. Have fun which ever way you choose to go and enjoy the ride.

Penny

[IMG]local://upfiles/4130/72C42FBB60054DCBB4A9A7556198FCB5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4130/CCC813CCBD2B4CFA8A64AF09D9BFE1A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not me I don't like to get my hands dirty. I let the professional do thier jobs. I did just buy the service manual for my bike just in case I need it.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything is possible with the right tools, info and desire. Have you considered a course at a community college to get your feet wet?

Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer

If your not afraid to learn, I say go ahead and do it. The regular maintenance is very straight forward and you will gain an appreciation for how your bike works. If it is a bigger job, there are professionals who do it all the time. Check out the diy section here on the forum, there great tutorials for hundreds of different tasks. I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life, so I approach it from the other side, I don't want anyone to touch my bike, I'll do it myself. (with manual obviously) However, I realize I can't do it all and will get help when I need it.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:22 PM
gsparesa
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bragz
I was thinking of going to the local salvage yard and picking up a wrecked bike for the sole purpose of taking apart and rebuilding various components along ...
What is cheap to you? How cheap can you get a wrecked bike? We have a cycle salvage here in Fremont, CA and the wrecked HD bikes are not cheap.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
bragz
Advanced

For the sole purpose of teaching myself Im not sure. Ive seen low to mid 90's softails salvage in the range of 5k that actually run. Just have bent frames and some metal damage. I figured I could mess with it for a year or 2 then part it out or sumptin once Im comfortable or even try to restore it. Im still in the beginning phase so not sure.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:27 PM
superdog48
Tourer

I agree with most of the others there are somethings that you can do , but some of the things special tools, presses and pullers are needed.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
JeffD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: superdog48

I agree with most of the others there are somethings that you can do , but some of the things special tools, presses and pullers are needed.
That's what hammers are for.

Bolts can be tightened or loosened. I don't see why everyone on here seems to be so afraid of doing a little work on their bike. Harley's are one of the most simple mechanical things you can get your hands on. It's not rocket science. Besides working on the bike gets you familiar with it IF anything should happen while out on the road. It can also be a lot of FUN working on it.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am unfortunately EXTREMELY biased...but I cant help it....it's in my blood. I have been wrenching on cars ( and bikes ) since a VERY young age. I am an ASE master tech and GM master tech. My opinion is probably worthless to 95% of average people. I work on 50-80,000 dollar Cadillacs....so.....when it comes to working on a Harley....it is so painfully simple. If you have a service manual...some basic hand tools and a little time on yer hands.....you can do anything 'cept major repairs. Regular maintenance and service is a snap. I just cannot imagine a full grown man that can't unscrew a bolt and drain/refill 3 holes on a bike. It amazes me.....but like I said.....this stuff is second nature to me...

nogood o~`o

Quick Reply: Question on Bike Repairs.