General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Cruise Control for H-D?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Cruise Control for H-D?

On my previous bike, Honda Shadow 1100 (yeah I know, but it was at least an American Honda...) I had a Vista Cruise Control and liked the possibility to let my right hand rest awhile from time to time.

When searching the net for something to my new 06 Deluxe (yet to be delivered...) I can't find any.

Anybody have a solution for this? There is a screw under the handle that apparently can be used to lock the gas handle.
But this seems to be a very awkward (sorry for my abuse of your language, but hopefully some of you can understand me...) way to do it.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
zzrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual Cruise Control for H-D?

I use the thumb screw for a throttle lock...it works fine...you can set it where there is just a littel friction and it will let you adjust with out tightening or loosening it. After awhile you can learn to set it or let it all the way off with just your thumb as you ride. I really like using it. I have rode 1000's of miles using it or just set it for a few minuits so the numbness can go out of my fingers. And its cheaper than Harleys $700 cruise control.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
pointswhat
Road Captain

While the set crew can be used to hold the throttle I never liked doing it. If the car in front of you would slam on the brakes you have no way of quickly disengaging it. A throttle boss might work for you, it basically lets you relax your grip and use your palm to control the throttle. The can be found as rubber straps that wrap around your grip up to the chrome versions that mount on the end of your grip. I know there are a few threads about them right now if you care to look.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:42 PM
hddeluxe
Road Captain

I've seen the Throttle Boss, but I need to let go of the bar and hang my arm down and shake it loose on long trips. Feel a bit cramped sometime. Thats why I liked the Vista on the Honda. Guess I'll have to learn to use the 'Thumb Screw'... Really happy it's not the middle ages Thumb Screw!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

You only set the set screw enough to hold the trottle in place it doens't take much. You can easily shut the trottle down without loosening the screw in an emergency. Try it with the motor off a couple of times, you will see what I mean.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Just learned of a product called Throttle Mate which you attach to the "thumb screw". It's like a little lever extension to flick on and off.

You shouldn't obviously use it in traffic, but if you are riding along with some space between you and the other vehicles on the road, it might come in handy to shake that hand to life.

edit: here's the URL http://www.throttlemate.com/

I have no affilation to these guys, i just ordered a couple and will let you all know what i think about it after trying.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: alexcue

Just learned of a product called Throttle Mate which you attach to the "thumb screw". It's like a little lever extension to flick on and off.

........ i just ordered a couple and will let you all know what i think about it after trying.
Keep us posted, put your thoughts on it in the Product Review section.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Will do, my only "concern" from the pictures is it might interfere with my grip so to speak. Should arrive in a few days, hope to demo it this weekend riding up the coast, hopefully with little or no traffic,

Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Toytech
Tourer

This is the topic I like. In the product review section there is a thread on a thing called "Throttlemate. They have a web site and you should check it out. I have not seen such a simple and practical item in a long time.

Joe

Old 02-02-2006, 12:49 AM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

ORIGINAL: hddeluxe

On my previous bike, Honda Shadow 1100 (yeah I know, but it was at least an American Honda...) I had a Vista Cruise Control and liked the possibility to let my right hand rest awhile from time to time.

When searching the net for something to my new 06 Deluxe (yet to be delivered...) I can't find any.

Anybody have a solution for this? There is a screw under the handle that apparently can be used to lock the gas handle.
But this seems to be a very awkward (sorry for my abuse of your language, but hopefully some of you can understand me...) way to do it.
I recall in the last 2 years seeing a copy of V-twin or some other magazine that advertised a "new" assembly to use as a throttle control. It consisted of a collar that fit on the throttle grip and another on the mount, and a method for click-locking the grip. It had position settings around the entire grip, so an unlimited number of stops.

Hell, here it is.... Throttle Management System

ADDED: sorry, it's around $400...hardly qualifies as a cheap solution.

Quick Reply: Manual Cruise Control for H-D?