General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
GDaddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9iONRuBu1s

Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere that more motorcycle accidents result from riders attempting to AVOID hitting wildlife than there are from hitting them.

I have pretty much given up worrying about hitting deer. Pretty much up to them not me.
A couple of years ago I was riding between Rocky Mountain House, Alberta and Saskatchewan Crossing, Alberta and saw a deer motor across the highway a couple hundred yards ahead of me from the bush on one side of the road, across the road, and then up a VERY steep embankment on the opposite side of the highway. The embankment didn't even slow it down even ONE BIT. They can really go. I had no freakin' idea.
If you are in their way when they choose to cross the road, there is no way you're gonna avoid them, period. They are that quick. All you can hope for is that they see YOU and make a quick course correction.

A guy I work with collided with one a couple of years ago on his bike riding across the bottom of B.C. near Grand Forks. He didn't even lay his bike down. Did a bunch of damage to his bike and toasted the deer. He said he never even saw it. Never had any hope of avoiding it.
I rode that same road a few weeks later and never saw more roadkill ever, on any one stretch of road including a big MF moose and a black bear, among about a dozen or more deer, besides the usual 'garden-variety' roadkill, 'coons, marmots, porcupine, etc.
Simply put; when deer cross, it's like a road isn't even there. It's as though they are being chased though the bush. It's all the same to them from what I've seen. Road, bush, hills, whatever. The only thing I've seen more agile than deer are mountain sheep. Ever seen one of those scale a cliff? They're nothing short of 'freaks of nature'. It's a damn good thing they look where they're goin.

My only advice is to minimize your night riding best you can.

CN

Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Avoid the known deer crossings just before daybreak,or just be super vigilant that time of the morning.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:03 AM
landest
Road Warrior

+1

I agree.. there is nosilver bulletthat will make the problem go away... just another road hazard... manage the risk!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
soulfish
Cruiser

Watching that video gives me the creeps. I hit a deer 6 months ago going 60 at night. All you see is a brown flash in the headlight and bam. Five fractures and a lot of twisted ankles injury. Believe me, you don't want this to happen. All I can say is that I was lucky. Leathers and a helmet saved me from much worse. $9000 damage to the fatboy is all fixed, added some auxilliary lighting. I still feel the pain every day. Don't think there will be much night riding in my future. My advice is to keep it slow. Don't overdrive your lights and stay focused on what's out in front. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
free_rider66
6th Gear

OK, T-bone....being from Idaho, I'll bite....what the hell is a bluehair?