General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid

Yup, That stretch on I-84 from the Hudson River to Port Jervis I couldn't begin to tell you how many deer I've seen there. Olong rte 209 in PA as well.
chappy

ORIGINAL: Walkonwater

We have 80-100 deer per square mile in some areas of down-state New York and they have no fear..It is dangerous..
What can we do to avoid them? I suppose just be alert and maintain a safe speed. What gets me about the little bastards is one or two will cross the road and I compensate for them, then another or more come out right in my new path of travel.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Iguess u can try one of those deer whistles. Or take slow, but u never know when

Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in western NY we are over run by deer. They can be seen grazing right along side the I-90 thruway during the middle of the afternoon any day of the week. They are so used to traffic they dont even raise their head when you pass by. If one decides to run across4 lanes of traffic they will all follow and get blasted most times by tractor trailers who just keep on truckin unless they get caught up under in the air lines or punch a hole in the radiator. The old idea that you only see deer between dusk and dawn is just not true in these parts. More deer are killed around here by vehicles than by hunters. I'm all for extending the hunting season. Most of my neighbors who are farmers have obtained Nuisance permits because the deer are ruining their crops. That way they can hunt them all year long. My only advice is to stay alert and expect that at anytime day or night one or more can jump out in front of you. If you see one up ahead crossing the road you can almost bet there will be more following . If I'm in my car or truck I willtry and avoid a deer collision but I will not run off the road andrisk the chance of hitting a tree or rolling my vehicle and killing myself. I've had one close call on my bike when 3 came out of a corn field and ran across in front of me. Locked up front and rear brakes and missed the last one by a few feet....................BG

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 PM
ratcat
Tourer

And I thought the "Pestky Varmits" where a local problem to me, I can see just about every one here has issues with these four legged road kills.
You would think the Insurance companys would put some effort into helping with this.
Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions, Short of a kangero rack, or a cattle catcher, we need someone to invent something to keep the path clear in front of our bikes.

Ride Safe, stay frosty...

Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow more for me, I made one of my deer from last year into Jerkey, yes the entire deer, I also made a bunch of BBQ meat ***** with 1/4 beef mixed in, The family, and I have eaten about 8 lbs. of that, I use KC BBQ sause, and a hint of chili powder in it.
I used to work in a body shop, and I never saw a car with whistles on it in the shop that had been hit by a deer.

ORIGINAL: pete913

Poison 'em, poison 'em all. I'd rather eat dog food than deer meat, and that's all deer meat is anyway, and for those of you that say " oh you've never eaten it the way I make it , I can assure you I've eaten it every way it could possibly be prepared by humans, and I'd take a can of Spam over venison or deer sausageany day.

Round these parts, deer are just about like flies, and just about as hard to hunt. Killing one is a non event.I'm surprised the car insurance companies haven't sued the game and fish dept over the overpopulation their mismanagement has caused. Deer whistles are a sick joke played upon unsuspecting suckers. Awhile back, some university , I think in Chicago, did an extensive test on 'em and proved they had no effect whatsoever.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM
risgdude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chappy your right about 209 I saw one try to take on a van 20 feet in front of me two years ago. A few seconds earlier i would have got it.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When we was riding this past sunday 4 ran across the rode in front of us I laid on the horn. If they git in front of me I know I will nail em when running 70 mph. Probaly mess my bike up.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Some things you can do I live in Wisconsin there are 16 of the darn things in my yard now
My son hit 3 at one time 100 feet fromn the driveway this year
1. support hunting
2.avoid driving during both ruts around sunset
3. Slow down in early morning and evening
4. those funny signs with the deer jumping are not a joke
5. support hunting
6.when you see one deer BRAKE there are 15 more following that one
7. do not over drive you head lights.
8. support hunting
9. None of those deerwhistles you mount on you car or bike work.
10. Buy a friend a deer hunting lic.

DEER WHISTLES DO NOT DO A DARN THING BUT SELL YOUR CASH!
do your home work on them they are a scam

Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Support hunting - For ever $11 dollars you send me I will kill one Iowa deer.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Move to Louisiana. We see very few deer on the road or road killed deer. We shoot the crap out of them from September to February with every day a doe day and a limit of six per season on public property and 1 a day on private property enrolled in deer management programs. You can hunt for days without seeing a deer in a lot of places. I'm more worried about bluehairs than deer. One almost got me Wednesday. Stopped, pulled right out. I never saw her head swivel to look in either direction. It was a thrill to slide by her fishtailing from the locked rear. I hope she dirtied her oversize drawers.

Quick Reply: Deer collisions, what can we do to avoid