General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through security gates?? Military or other gates??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 AM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going through security gates?? Military or other gates??

i use a lanyard around my neck, my dod stickers on a plate on the forks...as i am pulling up, i pull my badge out from under my jacket and hold them up with my left hand, and cruise through at like 5mph, and they wave me on...since there are only about 5200 people on base, they kind of get to know most of the biker people.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Redmondp
Tourer

Here in Europe theyneed to hold your ID card/pass. They need to scan it so, the arm band thing won't work. I just reach in my windscreen bag and hand it to them. In neutral with both feet down. Sometimes I hit the kill switch, put the jiffy down and clean my windscreen.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Stay in gear until you get to the gate, shut the bike off,do your business,leave.Don't worry about anybody else.You do have a right to be there,practice makes it go easier.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bet an abaya would get you through the gates real fast. Of course after that. . . .

Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havnt been on a military base since 1996.
But I did like it better when the Marines gaurded our gates.
At least they were serious about it.
When we (the Navy) took over gaurding our own gates it became a joke.
I'm sure by now the Navy gaurds are more serious since 9/11. I hope.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM
csmlopez
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: lonewatie

Don't want to sound like I don't care about the people behind me waiting a couple seconds, but I don't care about the people behind me waiting a couple seconds; if they were on a bike they would appreciate what you have to do to get thru the gate, so screw 'em if they can't wait a couple extra seconds while you get your id put away, your gloves back on, and safely pull away. Besides, the people behind you are part of the crowd who just minutes before could have cared less about you on the bike on the open road, so why should you care about them sitting behind you for a few extra seconds. It's not like you're purposefully delaying them, anyway. By the way, I felt same way first time I went thru the gate on my bike, apologized to the gate guard, and he said no worries, take your time, I ride too.
I concur 100% with you. The gate is mine when I am talking to the Guard. As a matter of fact I turn the bike off when I get to the spot I cant give my attention to the Guard.

As far as the ID, hell I put my ID in my ACU top left cargo pocket and the post decal is on a plate bottom of the bike frame. The idea about using the ID holder $3.50 at the clothing sales is a very good one to.

Hooah!

Be safe AIRBORNE!
CSM Lopez

Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get the ICON Vest at New enough. http://www.newenough.com/protective_...lity_vest.html

I was at MacDill durring 911. They would acutally have EVERY motorcycle pull over and they would go through backpacks and saddle bags for "security" reasons since they would be able to maneuver in between the concrete barriers. Since they wanted to play that game I'd pull up turn off the bike take off gloves then helmet go into my wallet for ID after they told me to go to the checkpoint then put ID away put on helmet, gloves then start the bike. It was great listsening to the "retirees" yell at the AF SF's for them being late for their tee time. while I was being searched

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago they were pulling over every other vehicle and doing searches. Now they just search vehicles that they can't totally see everything in. I used to do the armband, but now they take the card from you, so I put it in my handlebar bag. I put her in N, push up my visor, take off a glove, get my card out of the bag...bla bla bla! And I BS with the guards cuz some of them ride, and they all know me. Their boss rides with us.

This base is on the border of Mexico. A couple of times, and this is so ironic, I have been at the gate being searched and I look over and say to the guard...hey look, a bunch of illegals coming over to say hi!!

What's wrong with this picture? The GOOD GUYS are being searched every day, while the BAD GUYS just strole on in with no problem at all!! Hey...where's THEIR ID??

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM
tacmedic
Cruiser

Take your time and don't worry about anyone else. You can always contact the department in charge of the gate to find out what their preference is. Those arm bands work real well, I also have the HD reflective military vest which has an ID holder similar to the ICON vest (works well too)