General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol in Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Ethanol in Gasoline

I'm really getting pissed that most of the gas companies are adding ethanol. Recently the Exxon near my house starting adding 10% ethanol. I tried to find a gas station that doesn't use it. BP claims they don't but they add detergent to their premium! My last fill-up was at BP and my scoot pings when I get on it. Anyone know for sure who doesn't add that crap?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ethanol in Gasoline

I would worry more about whether or not the gas station hes a separate nozzel for each grade of gas. you could be pumping a half to a full gallon of the low grade before you get to the premium that you are paying for. Illinois has been adding 10% for as long as I can remember, And I've never had a problem. When I do make a gas stop I first look for three nozzels and If They only have 1 I look at my gage and decide if I want to find another station, I won't gas up unless I'm about empty otherwise.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preety soon , will be THE only way gas comes....and IT SUCKS!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Works fine in mine

Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most states require that gas with ethanol added be labeled as such. I know last summer you could get pure gas in Illinois. It's still readily available throughout the midwest and mountain states.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Right now, I'm pissed at the price, First, they said the price increase was lack of refinerys, then, all the states had to have their own blend, then it was China and now they say its because of the weak dollar, WTf? I now spent the same to fill up the bike that 3 years ago filled up my full size v8 truck. Talk about a monopoly.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
steverxr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could use the E85 in my 2006 Dyna. Maybe I'll find a conversion for it one day.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I've been bugging HD to come out with a map that would allow the use of E-85 in thier motorcycles. I hate to think that the bike will sit when gas is either not available, or so high priced that no one can afford it.
In Washington state, all the gasoline is "oxygenated", which means that it contains 10% ethanol. I have no problems running premium containing 10% ethanol. I would be more concerned about where I fill up rather than what I fill it with. Some stations try and pawn off regular octane as premium to boost thier profit. Other stations just have CRAP in thier tanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
eyefrgt
Cruiser

Need to be careful about notmixing anything that goes in your stomach with what goes in the tank of your vehicle. Iffarmers have the choice of raising a crop for fuel instead of for food, the oil company's will win every time. You will see more pesticides and herbicides used in corn crops because in theory the crop won't be used for human consumption. Just my .02 worth.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

ORIGINAL: eyefrgt

Need to be careful about notmixing anything that goes in your stomach with what goes in the tank of your vehicle. Iffarmers have the choice of raising a crop for fuel instead of for food, the oil company's will win every time. You will see more pesticides and herbicides used in corn crops because in theory the crop won't be used for human consumption. Just my .02 worth.
Need to be a little more knowledgeable before you make generalizations about corn production. Pesticide and herbicide use continues to drop with improved varieties and its use isn't a factor when deciding to raise the crop for food or fuel. The farmer will grow what makes him the most money. Oil companies dont particularly like messing with ethanol.

Quick Reply: Ethanol in Gasoline