General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overdoing it

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 PM
oldbiker771
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a magnetic sign, cut it to fit on the light bracket on the left side, and glued the sticker to it. Not by reg but Im not sticking things to my $150 windshield either. My big opposition to this program is this: Since we are required to wear a helmet because most motorcycle fatalities are caused by head injury, logic must apply. Most fatalities in motorvehicle accidents are caused by head injuries. Most pedestrian vs car deaths are caused by head injuries. Most deaths by falls in the home are caused by head injuries. But I have yet to see the regulations requiring these people to wear helmets to prevent their deaths. And dont tell me "Well, cars give you extra protection". This is a non-sequitur. Regardless of the level of protection, if the deaths are caused by head injury this extra protection is moot. Yet if you ride a bike, your second class citien status and minority vote allows them to impose their "common sense" rules on us. Read the Goldstein and Cooter studies, they de-bunk alot of these worthless rules. Training courses are invaluable. Ive been on 2 wheels all my life, and I still take one periodically to bone up. And finally, if you think [insert here" helmets, vegetarianism, gay sex, religion, etc."] is a good idea, you go ahead and do it, but dont tell me what I have to do.

Last edited by oldbiker771; 04-02-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by conroskie
You are government property, Your first priority is the military
Protecting their investment.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
trippy57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retired Army here, and now work on post. It's overkill in my opinion, but, that being said, if I want to go on base I wear the PSE as required. I refer to my reflective belt as my: "Slow kid's belt". Better to see some humor in it and be about your business. JMHO.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lord am I happy i got out when i did '76.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbiker771
I bought a magnetic sign, cut it to fit on the light bracket on the left side, and glued the sticker to it. Not by reg but Im not sticking things to my $150 windshield either. My big opposition to this program is this: Since we are required to wear a helmet because most motorcycle fatalities are caused by head injury, logic must apply. Most fatalities in motorvehicle accidents are caused by head injuries. Most pedestrian vs car deaths are caused by head injuries. Most deaths by falls in the home are caused by head injuries. But I have yet to see the regulations requiring these people to wear helmets to prevent their deaths. And dont tell me "Well, cars give you extra protection". This is a non-sequitur. Regardless of the level of protection, if the deaths are caused by head injury this extra protection is moot. Yet if you ride a bike, your second class citien status and minority vote allows them to impose their "common sense" rules on us. Read the Goldstein and Cooter studies, they de-bunk alot of these worthless rules. Training courses are invaluable. Ive been on 2 wheels all my life, and I still take one periodically to bone up. And finally, if you think [insert here" helmets, vegetarianism, gay sex, religion, etc."] is a good idea, you go ahead and do it, but dont tell me what I have to do.
I believe IT's called, " Do as I say, not as I do"!