General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overdoing it

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:57 PM
csmlopez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: overdoing it

32 + years active duty and still going. I don't have a problem complying with policies set by the post commanders. Actually, it is my duty to enforce it! Do I like it? You will never know. I have notice that since they started this policy I see many who ride to work wear it from the time they leave their home as they ride to work. So yeah, if I see you then all the cagers see you too.

We started loosing to many young soldiers who where returning from deployments with some pocket change, buying sport bike and letting their hair down after a year deployment. The Army center for safety has collected much data that supports these policies and because of it numbers are declining.

You can create all the rules you want in the Military or Civilian community, some folks will do what they want to do and become a statistic.

Be safe and ride hard!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Rusty914
Tourer

Generally unimpressed with the thread, except for JSS's comments - insightful and well written.

Yes, Commanders frequently go off the deep end to "set new standards" in safety and everything else. That's just how the RLOs (real live officers) are inbred - they can't help it. The motorcycle rules are what they are. Challenge the rulesrespectfully, if they're stupid. Then, follow them or take off the uniform.

ORIGINAL: smitty901

Maj Franklin,

I would find it intresting if after reading all of the replys from both past and present members of the armed service are there any of them you would like to have along if you were an infantry leader about to step out on a mission. Also if there are a few you might want to make sure were not with you.
Animal 6 over
1SG(R),

6? During my career, "6" has always been a Commander's designation.Maybe "7"?

CW4 B.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DoD discourages motorcycle riding--under the guise of safety regulations--because motorcycling is dangerous. It just is. If anything goes wrong, you're screwed. The DoD invests a lot of money in their soldiers, and it wants to get a return from that investment. So, I understand it for Military personnel.

What irks me is that I'm not on active duty anymore. I'm not even a DoD employee. I'm a civilian contractor that just happens to work on base. But I have to go through all the same crap, including taking and retaking the MSF course--at my own expense, unlike DoD personnel.

That really sucks.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sniper

I am the father of an 18 year old US Army Medic. My son graduated high school at 16, and when he turned 17, immediately joined the Army to serve his country in Iraq. When he finished basic, AIT and then Airborne school, he volunteered the first time for Iraq just after he turned 18 (wasn't able to go until he was 18). After his third time voluteering to go to Iraq failed, he decided to buy a motorcycle. Paid cash for a 2003 Honda Shadow because he didn't want to finance anything. He is a good kid, very responsible (as you might expect from the background I shared), has a good head on his shoulders, and raced Pro on dirtbikes until he joined the Army, so I know he knows how to ride. HOWEVER, as a father, I am thrilled that they watch them like a hawk on motorcycles, as these young solders need time to let their brains catch up to their bodies. We have lost too many in Iraq, and don't need to lose even one more on a motorcycle due to carelessness.

Oh yes, he finally got his wish, and is headed for Iraq in April. His mom is not very happy, but is very proud. When he returns from Iraq, he will have the money to pay cash for his first Harley...like dad.
Sniper, I bet you are proud. Your son sounds like one stand up guy. Please thank him for us here.
And for the rest of you serving/past-time serving - Thank you. My father is a retired Coast Guardsman. Not quite the same as some of the other forces we emply for our safety but a very big necessity. My brother served in the navy. I am pretty much the only clown in the family who never had the common sense enough to do a stint in the military.
My father and brother are taking the same MSF course the 5th and 6th of April and neither one of them are overly worried about current regs for on base riding.

Personally, I just want them to live. If it means playing dress up from time to time, so be it. I'm civilian and at times lash a lime safety vest over my leathers, or sissybar, or whatever. Other drivers suck and extra visibility really can't hurt.
Again, thanks to all of you.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Rusty914
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

<snip>

What irks me is that I'm not on active duty anymore. I'm not even a DoD employee. I'm a civilian contractor that just happens to work on base. But I have to go through all the same crap, including taking and retaking the MSF course--at my own expense, unlike DoD personnel.

That really sucks.
That surprises me, Dale. Redstone Arsenal Safety Office offers the ERC at no charge to military, DAC and civilian contractors. There are 4-5 classes a month, 6 slots per class.

-Rusty

Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 PM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: csmlopez

32 + years active duty and still going. I don't have a problem complying with policies set by the post commanders. Actually, it is my duty to enforce it! Do I like it? You will never know. I have notice that since they started this policy I see many who ride to work wear it from the time they leave their home as they ride to work. So yeah, if I see you then all the cagers see you too.

We started loosing to many young soldiers who where returning from deployments with some pocket change, buying sport bike and letting their hair down after a year deployment. The Army center for safety has collected much data that supports these policies and because of it numbers are declining.

You can create all the rules you want in the Military or Civilian community, some folks will do what they want to do and become a statistic.

Be safe and ride hard!
Key point there, CSM... one leaders need to take to heart, including field grade officers.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
oldbiker771
Tourer

Gentlemen, it is not so much about safety as it is the appearance of safety. The Hurt report was poorly done and not mathematically sound, and it covered an era and type of bike and rider we no longer really have. The DODI is based on that report. But the command structure is under pressure to do something, and so since they must have a quantifiable metric to report, we have these ridiculous clothing requirements. The training is of great value, but the vests and long sleeves and such are gibberish. I direct your attention to two new studies, one by Dr Goldstein here, and Dr Cooter in Australia. Both have sufficiently large statistical universes to be able to draw significant conclusions. It seems that there are only two actual contributing factors to deaths in motorcycle crashes: Velocity and blood alcohol content. Thats it. All the armored clothing in the world doesnt help. That's where the command structures fail. They treat motorcycling like a "juvenile sport" such as skateboarding. For some of us, it's how we get around. I don't have a car. By embracing motorcycling as a legitimate form of transportation and recreation, and making it less painful rather than more so to be a military rider, they would get better participation in safety clases, and better education makes for better judgement. When my new Bde Cdr gave his first safety speech after he took command 2 years ago, (he's gone now, thankfully) the first words out of his mouth, and this is a direct quote, were :"Anyone who rides a motorcycle is an idiot and doesnt love their family!" How he expected this attitude to contribute to safety is anyones guess. I have tried working with the safety people at Ft Rucker, both of whom ride, and there has been some interest in better training as opposed to shiny clothes. Ft Rucker has a Rider Mentorship Program to help the young guys learn survival tricks from us old folk with 100k miles of "school of hard knocks" training. But DOD probably won't respond well. It is hard to make someone have a good safe attitude, but easy to make them dress a certain way, carry their little cards around, and wear funny hats. Attitude is everything if you want to survive on 2 wheels, but man is it hard to teach, especially to tough young invulnerable troopers. It is up to us old guys to keep trying.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first things that happens when a soldier dies in an accident is the questions from the parents/spouse. Having been down this road, I can tell you that having no answer when they ask what you did to watch out for their son is a bad place to be. Understand that scenario and you understand why commanders get **** about these measures. They may not do anything effective but they are the only tools available.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, you complain about nanny states and in the same breath you roll over and let the goverment edicts run rampet. Make up your mind.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Chit just fire them... and ride how U wants to....

Quick Reply: overdoing it