General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Place to retire and ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Best Place to retire and ride?

ORIGINAL: fishheadsaid

ORIGINAL: Cigar Aggie

You mean Hurricanes, Blue Hairs and Spring Breakers.......

ORIGINAL: hot77vette

well thats a no brainer the winner is florida .in north central florida we still have a lot of country roads .we ride 12 months out of the year the only thing that stops us is hurricanes !!!!!!!!!!
Not to mention, alligators, crocodiles, bears, rabid racoons, eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, sharks, sea urchins, stingrays, fire coral, black widow spiders, brown recluse, scorpions, centipedes
and mean *** redneck womens.

Humidity, Humidity, Humidity,Humidity...

S.W. or West...

Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MetalSpike

Florida keys.
riding down there is to dangerous....besides you would have to have a rainbow bike....

Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DO NOT COME TO BELGIUM!!!!!

It's crowded enough as it is, pavement is a complete disaster, Bike and fuell prices are WAY to high and taxes are near illegal.

Have a good day

Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer

I vote for North Georgia. We have 6 acres there in a small town of 900 people and I can't wait to build a house and move there in 5 years when I retire for good. The roads are great and the people are friendly along with a low cost of living. You can also be in North Carolina and the BRP in a couple of hours as well. We do a week long riding trip there once a year the rides are just amazing compared to Florida.

Will

Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Rev. BigBlock
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valuable feedback from everybody. The older I get, there are things that I CAN'T and WON'T tolerate any more -[/align][/align]1) Dark days, freezing cold, high winds, break-your-neck ice, and slippery roads - depressing and dangerous. Also, if your bike or car breaks down under these conditions on many roads, you can DIE if you don't get help SOON, especially at night.

2) High heat and humidity - they make you MISERABLE, especially HUMIDITY - depressed, lethargic, and irritable. They increase violence and road rage here in south Florida SUBSTANTIALLY.

3) Hurricanes (terrifying when they hit your area), tornadoes (they level homesand flip cars around like toys), lightning (kills people all the time), monsoon rains (car wipers don't allow you to continue driving - you have to pull over and wait till it's over), floods (if you happen to buy or rent in a low area, you'll be wiped out), bugs of all kinds that appear in your home AND CAR), and mold (in addition to looking disgusting, it makes yousick).

4) Punks, thugs,alcoholics, drug addicts, con artists, criminals, illegals, non-English speakers, etc. Cities and urban areas are FULL of them.

5) Traffic - it's a NIGHTMARE in the cities and urban areas today, AND people have become MONSTERS FROM HELL. Take a drive on any major roads, especially freeways. Here in south Florida, psychos are driving 80-90 in 65mph zones, and they TRY to kill you. I've driven all over America and the world for 50 years, and I've never seen anything like the insanity and violence in America today. Frankly, we need MARTIAL LAW for a while to stop the violent psychos.

If you don't want to escape to a more mellow, affordable country (you can live well in Mexico for $1,000/month, yourSocial Security payments can be legally transferred to your local bank there, AND you can get good, cheap health care there), there are good areas in America with reasonable climates and higher percentages of friendly people. Parts of California, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Georgia, Arkansas, and Alabama are examples. See you there!

Best wishes![/align][/align]

Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lived in Las Cruces, NM since 81, spent many yrs in the military and lived many places, no doubt this is a great place to live and ride. Cost of living is higher than most in the southwest. When the wind gets up, go somewhere for a few weeks. Usually ride 300+ days a yr. Rode to El Paso, TX today. When it's hot take the lowers off the ultra, and stay away from the redlights and heavy traffic.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

i just moved to southern california thinkn the ocean and warm weather and riding all year would be a dream and those things are. the things that sUCK are the people , the cops , the cost , the arrogance. mind you i came from Detroit so my standards are pretty low but i really wanna get the *** outa here before i explode. AZ is one place i here great things about continuesly , on my way out i passed through flagstaff and stayed 3 days to rest cus i fell so comfortable there.

Ive been here three months and ive harrassed by the police for something or another on my bike 3 times , fuking bored dik cops have nothing better to do. only this last time i was actually ticketed two days ago for my pipes , a fix it ticket. i wanted to give the cop a *** you ticket. shoulda heard this a$$hole try to make conversation with me after he fuked me with a ticket, he asked me if used my front brake much and warned me of a new light near cooks corner that all the bikers seem to crash at because they dont know how to use their front brake! i wanted to run him over , i couldnt believe the other dumb **** he was talkn to me about it only got worse an the cop was prolly early 50s not a young dude, but a fuking flake, im suprised he could ride the bike he was on , dumb ***.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

"Only 13% of the land in Arizona is privately owned. The rest is all state and or federal."

True... But I've got 55 acres of that beautiful country in the mtns east of Kingman, AZ... I retire in 5 years and thats where I plan to be...

Now as to the poster's question? I'd say the desert southwest is hard to beat - low humidity = no bugs, year around riding and endless miles of back country roads to explore and enjoy.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How about Chapala in Mexico... The world's largest congregation of US citizens outside the US (most retired)...

http://www.mexretire.com/location/lake_chapala_ajijic

or try San Miguel de Allende...

http://www.miradorhomes.com/retiring...san-miguel.php

Mimo.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 AM
csmlopez
Cruiser

Brother I hope this is what you are looking for. I know it is a bit much, but hey! I am reireing too and I think you are serious when you ask Best place to retire and ride.

I think anywhere in this country we take so much for granted would be a great place to work live and grow old and ride till the wheels fall off.

Now back on track. I have traveled much of the U.S.and my personal choice is the satate I chose to retire in, North Carolina. Because I am a soldier and stationed at Fort Bragg I have had the oportunity to live here for 17 years straight. During that 17 years I have growned to love this state. The location of Fayetteville is along the I 95 and it is about 11 hrs to Miami, Fl., but only a skip and a hop to the FL. state line if you and your buds just want to go on a Orange Juice run.

You are 7 hrs from PA, 5 hrs from DC. "The Rolling Thunder"

As far as bike riding goes you have some of the preatties country roads I have seen andthere so manny bed and breakfast to stay at. You can ride along the coast of N.C. for ever and catch some beautiful scenery of the beach houses, Cape Hattaras (Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, which at 208 feet is the tallest brick lighthouse in the nation) and small towns, some who host bike rallies thruout the year.

You also can head out west of NC to the highlands and part of the Appalachian mountains. One popular place is Deals Gap "The Dragon's Tail" 318 turns in 11 miles; WARNING do not donate to the tree of shame.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

North Carolina Mountains
The Appalachian mountain chain runs through the western part of the state. The Great Smoky Mountains in southwestern North Carolina are one of the country's top natural destinations, and visitors can enjoy 250 miles of the world-famous Blue Ridge Parkway winding through North Carolina's mountains. Mount Mitchell is the highest peak in the state, and at 6,684 feet, it is also the tallest mountain in the eastern United States.

North Carolina Piedmont
Covering nearly one half of North Carolina in the central part of the state, the Piedmont is an area of gently rolling foothills. Although the area enjoys four distinct seasons, temperatures are mild year round. The average wintertime temperature is about 42 degrees. In summer, it's 77 degrees. The area also enjoys sunshine for about 210 days a year.

North Carolina Coast
Warmed by the Gulf Stream, the North Carolina Coast is a sunny place filled with pristine beaches, giant sand dunes (including Jockey's Ridge, the highest along the East Coast) and wetlands filled with wildlife and a variety of plants. The defining characteristic of the area is the Outer Banks, a chain of fragile barrier islands - 130 miles of unspoiled coastline surrounded by 900 square miles of water.

Some of the Biker events:

[align=center]2008 Motorcycle Events[/align]

Mar 15
Bike Show & Chili Cookoff
Durham
NC

Apr 12
Ride for Hospice of Burke County
Morgantown
NC

Apr 18-19
Spring Open House
Raleigh
NC

Apr 24-Apr 27
Outer Banks Bike Week
Outer Banks
NC

Apr 25-27
[URL=http://motorcyclemonster.com/Events/description_pages/04-25-27-08-maggie-valley-nc.htm][color=#000000][u]Thunder in the S

Quick Reply: Best Place to retire and ride?