General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Legion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default American Legion

anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the American Legion? anyone ride with the ALR? I'm thinking about joining and would like some feed-back.

thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: American Legion

Its really all about your local Post. Every Post is different. Some are heavily involved with the Riders, some not at all. I would recommend you visit a couple different local/nearby Posts to see what they offer and how it feels. I've been to some Posts that are all but closed, some that are just a bar and some that truly enhance the spirit of the American Legion. Join and become a part of the experience. There are many friends to meet that you do not yet know.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watch for the crowd that play politics, for some it's a lifestyle.

And unless it's changed, they do something that I aways thought was a bit strange.
You can only be a member of ALR if your time of service was during war time, by at least 90 or 180 days or something like that. If you did your hitch between wartime, you're out of luck.
However, if you were never in the service you can join the ALR with full colors somehow.
I hope that it has changed towards reasonable thinking.
I thought that was a slap in the face to the folks that signed up and made themselves available to spill blood for freedomat the first call. Not being a wartime service membercan change at any moment during ones service.

God Bless our Warriors and Their Families
chappy

ORIGINAL: aviator

anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the American Legion? anyone ride with the ALR? I'm thinking about joining and would like some feed-back.

thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have friends that are membersthat never served during war time.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: chappy

And unless it's changed, they do something that I aways thought was a bit strange.
You can only be a member of ALR if your time of service was during war time, by at least 90 or 180 days or something like that. If you did your hitch between wartime, you're out of luck.
However, if you were never in the service you can join the ALR with full colors somehow.
I thought that was a slap in the face to the folks that signed up and made themselves available to spill blood for freedomat the first call. Not being a wartime service membercan change at any moment during ones service.

chappy

[
here are their requirements copied from their web site:
Eligibility
If you have served federal active duty in the armed forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!
August 2, 1990 to today (Operation Desert Shield/Storm)
December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Operation Just Cause - Panama)
August24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)
February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
June25, 1950 to January31, 1955 (Korean War)
December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II)
April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)
U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from Dec. 7,1941 to Aug. 16, 1945.
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the USArmed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

I guess some things are still the same.

Is the non-service member still able to be a member of ALR?

God Bless Our WArriors and Their Families
chappy

ORIGINAL: aviator

ORIGINAL: chappy

chappy

[
here are their requirements copied from their web site:
Eligibility
If you have served federal active duty in the armed forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!
August 2, 1990 to today (Operation Desert Shield/Storm)
December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Operation Just Cause - Panama)
August24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)
February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
June25, 1950 to January31, 1955 (Korean War)
December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II)
April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)
U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from Dec. 7,1941 to Aug. 16, 1945.
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the USArmed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:09 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I was a Legion member but in our Post, I was the only rider.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/75F95276CC6E41EBAD0FFBABDE21774F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/3CB3EADBB4B64DDA969239AD6972401E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

I don't know if a non-service member can be a member of ALR. I'm going to one of their meeting tomorrow night - I'll ask.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

That could freak you out if nobody answered when you called rollcall!! lol

Berlin, NH has an active ALR group, not sure about other Posts in the area though.
chappy

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

I was a Legion member but in our Post, I was the only rider.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/75F95276CC6E41EBAD0FFBABDE21774F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/3CB3EADBB4B64DDA969239AD6972401E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
DynaDan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined when I was down in Alabama because the commander of our post was in the MSF course with me and invited me. I also joined the ALR. Our ALR group met at the Post once a month and participated in different functions. I was not as active as I would have liked to be because I still have young kids and a working wife. We did participate in a couple of PGR missions and do some group rides such as veterans home visits and visits to other Posts.

I have since moved to VA, and moved my membership to the local Legion Post. Unfortunately, I have only been up there once, due to the same reason above. I was by far the youngest of the group (37). It would be nice to get some young blood into the Legion, because we are losing so many of our older Vets. I still enjoyed going up to the Post and drinking cheap beer and telling lies with the older guys. It can be a fun place to go and BS with fellow vets on a Friday or Sat. night. I think you especially, being a Vietnam vet, will find some good camradere. I was only in '94-'98 and did a year in Korea. No war stories to tell, so I just sit back and listen

Ask around about the ALR groups in your area. I know the one in the town next to us was much more active than my group. We did alot of stuff with them though. I would join the post with the more active ALR group. Once you join though, you are welcome at any Legion Post in the world.

I think the Legion is a good organization that supports some good causes, so I say go down and join up!

Quick Reply: American Legion