General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Legion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
johndeere58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Legion

The education that you receive talking to a WWII veteran is one you will soon not be able to ever enjoy again.

Please consider it.
[/quote]

Amen.....I have learned alot from these fellas......My post doesnt have a ALR and theres not enough of us that ride to warrant it but the Legion is awsome....Been going there since I was 14..........

Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aviator

thanks for all replies.

DynaDad & st john - I plan to check them out, and get involved. I'm really not the kind to listen too much to "gloom & doom".
All I can say is;

chappy

Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can join the Sons of the Legion if your father or grandfather was a member or would have been eligible to become a member.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hi HDlowryder,

Idid a quick searchfor NH ALR tonight also.
I didn't find anything on Berlin, but,
Idid findinfo on a NH ALR Chapter in Woodville.
That's just north of Lincoln, NH.
Still a long hike for meetings!

I heard a while back that a new ALR Chapter was going to form in the NH Seacoast area,
but never heard any more about it.

There is afew very active Veterans Riding groups in your area.
They're a bunch of Great Guys too and very dedicated to Veterans causes!

Rolling Thunder
Nam Knights
US Marine Riders
Combat Veterans

hope this helps
God Bless Our Warriors and Their Families
chappy

ORIGINAL: hdlowryder

Does anyone know of a post that has the ALR in southern NH, in the area ofManchester, Nashua, Hudson, Derry, Londonderry? Berlin is to far for me to commit to and I have been striking out searching the local post web sites for post that support ALR.
Thanks in advance for any info you can supply me with.

Mark

Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Dad was a Life Member of the Legion, out home. So when I got out of the sevice, just figured I would, too. When I moved to N. Branch, the "politics" that Chappy talked about, sucked. They always had a disdain for Viet Vets there. And knew other guys in other areas said that, also. So there were a very few Viet Vet Clubs that opened for a while. Has always left a "bad" taste in my mouth. I still do their parades, present colors, etc., but I am not a card carrying Legion member anymore.I do ride with the Viet Vet MC occassionally, and PGR, and I have been known to stop at VFW's on the road. The Legion club in town here, just closed about a year ago or so. It's now a bar and grill/supper club.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hi SA315B,

Thanks for the confirmation on that. It seems to still be pretty much how I thought it was.

Still bugs me that Veterans that volunteered their service andtime that put themselves on the line if needed to fight for freedom and yet served their full enlistmentduring peace time and not war time cannot join the American Legion, but a son or grandson that never served a day, can join. I'm not saying kick the non-vets out, I'm asking why keep those that served even in peace time from joining.

As I said before, I'm an eligibleand current member of American Legion National and State because Iserved in wartime. I'm also a member of the DAV. Those dates are important for historians, but the signature of enlistmentwas from a brave American Volunteer willing to lay his/her life down for freedom even if war started the next day or 4 years later.

That's all I was trying to say from my first post.
I never intended to come across as Gloom & Doom.
I wasn't trying to get anyone to plug their ears.
I was merely answering a question in the opening post thatasked;
"What's your experience, good or bad?"
maybe itshould've read; "What's your experience, good only?"

but what do I know, I'm just a gloom & doomer!
chappy

ORIGINAL: SA315B

You can join the Sons of the Legion if your father or grandfather was a member or would have been eligible to become a member.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hey Gumpster,

You sure are prettier than I pictured you in my head!! lol
Sorry about my rant, it just bugs me!

I'm not saying the non-vets should leave,
I wondering why all veterans aren't eligible to join.
I hate closed doors to brothers because a politician set a date.

God Bless Our Warriors and Their Families is what I say
Leave no Veteran behind is what I mean!

chappy

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

My Dad was a Life Member of the Legion, out home. So when I got out of the sevice, just figured I would, too. When I moved to N. Branch, the "politics" that Chappy talked about, sucked. They always had a disdain for Viet Vets there. And knew other guys in other areas said that, also. So there were a very few Viet Vet Clubs that opened for a while. Has always left a "bad" taste in my mouth. I still do their parades, present colors, etc., but I am not a card carrying Legion member anymore.I do ride with the Viet Vet MC occassionally, and PGR, and I have been known to stop at VFW's on the road. The Legion club in town here, just closed about a year ago or so. It's now a bar and grill/supper club.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I keep getting mail from them to join, but I'm one of those Cold War Warriors that served during peace time. Like dangling a steak in front of me.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: johndeere58

The education that you receive talking to a WWII veteran is one you will soon not be able to ever enjoy again.

Please consider it.
Amen.....I have learned alot from these fellas......My post doesnt have a ALR and theres not enough of us that ride to warrant it but the Legion is awsome....Been going there since I was 14..........
[/quote]

How very true.
Yesterday I was speaking with a WWII Navy Vet who recalled some of his exploits aboard the USS Lajune; AP 73, I think. Great story. An old family friend, now deceased won the Silver Star for action against the enemy in The Battle of the Buldge. What a great story that was. These guys are leaving us and taking their stories with them. Talk to them and learn from them.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: roadgeek

I am a past post commander and past district officer. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

As it has been said before it depends on the post. Each one is different. I was 29 when I became commander. Most of the legionaries were the ages of 60-90, I loved to share stories of the past. The education that you receive talking to a WWII veteran is one you will soon not be able to ever enjoy again.

Please consider it.
Last I checked, (this winter) we are losing them at the rate of over 1400 a day. That is an amazing #.
Lost my Dad in '97. He "never" talked about WW2 til I came home from the service. THEN, we would sit in the basement, Dad drinking out of his "fruit" jar, (God, I loved that ) and exchange stories of back in the "BIG" one and the "conflict" [:'(]

Quick Reply: American Legion