Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help deciding a bike!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM
airdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help deciding a bike!

The heritage classic is a nice bike, my bro-in-law has one and he sits lower stock than I do on my RKC. any of the bikes you list are great thought, so it gets down to whats comfortable to you out of the box.

I thought a Fat Boy was a softtail, though. don't mean to offend any FB riders.

don't discount the Road King - its a bike that fits all of your desires too. I'm 5'10 with 14 inch legs (j/k) and your legs are probably longer than mine. IT is a truly wonderful bike.

airdog

Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
hdtwice
Road Master

ORIGINAL: roadkill0000

whats the real difference between the dyna and softail? the dyna is considerably cheaper. Im not fully understanding what makes them different.
Suspension is one big diff.Look at the dyna and notice the rear shocks, now look at a softail and you won't see them. Softails have a different system with the shocks underside. The ride between the two are going to be different......not that that's a bad thing, but you really need to rent one of each for a day and then decide. I cannot say this enough...RENT before BUY!

Sitting on a bike in the dealer means nothing in real world rideing....good luck and keep us informed.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
hdtwice
Road Master

Damn I gotta get faster at typing

Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different frames on the Dyna and Softail. I would suggest you go to the dealership on the open house demo day. Sit on the bikes you like. Narrow it down and then test ride some of the bikes. I had the same problem with my last bike. Couldn't make up which model to buy 'cause I prettymuch like them all.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
JakeSabre
Cruiser

Star Raider, from the factory, 105 ft/lbs torque, a fat, 120 x 21 tire up front, dual discs up front, air cooled, belt drive, for $13,999

ORIGINAL: carpetride

Star (yamahama) raider S......Giddy up! [8D]

Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain

ok I am going to address what you said in your post. I am 5'9 165lbs as well. I thought like you in the beginning. I now own a bagger.

Ask yourself do you ever foresee yourself joining friends riding on long trips with 2 people on the bike? If yes then at least a softail, if yes frequently get a bagger. Do you ever think you may start riding your bike as your daily driver due to $4/gallon? If yes? get a bagger. Because of your height and size look into a bike that is factory lowered like a Deluxe (softail) or Streetglide(bagger). All these bikes are comfortable to ride because of how well they are balanced, the bigger bike isnt really much in the way of bigger because of this.

I originally bought a deluxe, which is still in my sig, and loved that bike until I started riding every day instead of as a fun hobby. Also when I decided I wanted to make a couple longer rides each year the seat just wasnt comfortable enough for my wife nor could we carry anything of any substance with us. Btw the wife loves the bags and I love that her purse (cringes) isnt stabbing me in the back.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: JakeSabre

Star Raider, from the factory, 105 ft/lbs torque, a fat, 120 x 21 tire up front, dual discs up front, air cooled, belt drive, for $13,999

ORIGINAL: carpetride

Star (yamahama) raider S......Giddy up! [8D]
I know....It seems to meet the posters criteria

Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Nightster 13
Tourer

dyna in my opinion for what you are wanting. Make an appointment to test ride all of them and see which one you like the best.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
roadkill0000
Cruiser

wow, im already in love with the forum. Ive been on so many in the past. Its probobly cause your all older and experianced and also the high traffic on this site. im not used to seeing more then 5 posts without being dissed out or something. thanks for the positive feedback.

...ok so far from what ive learned im leaning towards a Dyna.

it has the muscle im looking for
It has 2 person capability
It has the exposed shocks which I like so far

I do plan on using the bike ALOT. But not over extremely long distances. Im always around the city and such, theres no farms where I live.

QUESTION #2. Whats the real difference between the dyna glide and the dyna custom? its 1g more, and all I can tell thats for is a 2 tone paint job, and a 2 person seat. is there more?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Difference on the sg and the sgc chrome, seat, tank.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52705/5D94DD95FB7D4D1487C98FC7DBC2CC91.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Need help deciding a bike!