General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yup, another jacket question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Operator
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yup, another jacket question

I need some advice on what jacket to buy. I was at the dealer and it was a toss up between the foresaken textile, or the nightfall leather. This will be my first mc jacket so I need a lil help. Need to know about warmth, fit, safety, things like that. I like em both the same so I need your help deciding. I'll be riding in the midwest on an 08 ultra.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM
corgi
Road Master
Default RE: yup, another jacket question

If you only want one jacket to do everything. I would go textile. I have one that has panels that can be removed, making it a mesh jacket with the armor still in place. with the panels, and the liner on. I can use it in 30 degree weather.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

I agree with the textile jacket as an all-around choice.... with my liner in.... it's fine for much of the year.... with the liner out, all that open weave creates tiny vortices which act to cool you in the heat of the summer..... but from what I've read.... go down wearing mesh, and you'll need a new one...... Thankfully, I haven't had to prove/disprove THAT...

Truth is... like everything else on a bike, you'll soon have more jackets.... LOL I have a leather jacket for winter, a mesh jacket for summer, and I picked up a denim Cortech jacket for in-between... the cortech has a zip out liner, as well as padding for back, elbows, and shoulders

Frank

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you get one with fringe. Very Important.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 AM
BULLDOG88
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about the textile jacket with the armor in outside pockets, I voted with my wallet.
It fit. (I had another thead about sizing)
There was room for man sized arms and chest, and it had a velcro & mini bungie system to draw the bottom into a "V" shape. By placing the armor pockets on the outside, the space for your arms wasn't already filled.
The only suprise was the back armor was not included. It is another $15. I'm going to buy a lobster back instead.
It is machine washable.
Plus, getting textile altered is alot easier than Leather.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the textile comments. I have one decent leather jacket and 3 textile ones. One, a Joe Rocket Phoenix II, was really cheap and hard to pass up. It's reasonably comfortable in the summer. Of the other two, one is an Aerostich Darien Light and the other is an older H-D FXRG textile jacket without armor, the FXRG has a snap in/out liner and two zippers in the front and rear for ventilation. You can occasionally find them on e-bay at a pretty good price. As for the Aerostich, the workmanship is top notch, they're sturdy and will last a long time, have tons of pockets and removable armor. If I were to take a single jacket on a ride, regardless of time of year, it'd probably be the FXRG because of its flexibility.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sureit doesn't make your *** look fat.[8D]

Textile has more options; leather is, well, more the cool factor.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
captain m
Road Master

I 'm partial to leather, got a H.D. jacket 2 yrs ago,it has a zip out liner ,protection in the elbow and shoulder areas,and zip up vents on the front and back.I've been in temps from lower 30's to 98+(just don't stop),and it works well for me.
First jacket was a $100 police type jacket,it lasted about 10 yrs. then shrank !!!!!LOL......good luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Operator
Advanced

I have no issue buying a new one if I go down. If I am alive to do that I will be happy. Will the textile protect me as well as a leather or more?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
captain m
Road Master

I've been down twice in leather,broke a few ribs but my jacket wasn't hurt at all.I don't know too much about textile jackets,I'm sure they will offer a lot of protection,warmth,etc.
Best advice I can give is: think it through.Good luck.

Quick Reply: yup, another jacket question