General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride2Die site

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride2Die site

A women's motorcyle site had a "reality check" link to Ride2Die.com. F%&#--I'm still sitting here stunned bythe images--eyes wet and full. I'm a newbie with under 400 miles and was definitely a bit overwhelmed by thegraphic photos of motorcycle accidents--very bad.The site was over the top for me, and more than I needed to remind me to follow my MSF rules. Hit like a brick--wish now I could suck those images out of my head. I saw a bad accident myself years ago--brought it right back. Now I want to find some statistics that demonstrate how right practices can improve my odds--hope some stats like that are out there! Be careful before you visit sites like Ride2Die. Their intention is to get your attention (supposedly to prompt the next step of following safe practices),though forme theshock value goes a bit too far.Respect is a good thing, but riding around with fear of this stuff in your head is another. Ride safe all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/FCD4A784EB424A88BE7D932CBF3B598A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Ride2Die site

Always ride as defensively as possible and be on the alert for those stupid moves cages make. Just go ahead and anticipate that every one of them will do exactly the worst thing they could do at the worst possible time and you'llrarely be surprised.

Respect the bike and it's inherent dangers but don't dwell on it. None of us get out of this life alive in the end remember...

Old 03-09-2008, 04:39 AM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Arizona

Always ride as defensively as possible and be on the alert for those stupid moves cages make. Just go ahead and anticipate that every one of them will do exactly the worst thing they could do at the worst possible time and you'llrarely be surprised.

Respect the bike and it's inherent dangers but don't dwell on it. None of us get out of this life alive in the end remember...
Very well said, and I can hardly add anything to it. I'm sure that you could find a simular site about auto accidents too. Then you wouldn't want to drive your car anywhere either. Site was probably started by someone that lost a close friend or loved one on a bike and now has an agenda. Being a pro firefighter for 28 yrs I can tell you the fatal accidents I have seen, cars vs. cycles, the cars way, way, exceed the bikes. The greatest number of bike wrecks I've seen have involved just the bike, and could be attributed to riders error. Of those I can only remember one fatality.

That said, I have been in accidents on a bike, one involving a car, one a mechanical failure at a race track. From the lessons I've learned from them, I don't think I'll get taken out from someone turning left in front of me again. You just have to ride smart and like said before, be prepared for THEM to do the dumbest things.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

That's why they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Ride Safe. Jrsess

Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

If you look for it, you can find graphic images of what can happen for any endeavor in life you chose to persue. If you let these kinds of things control your life you will never do anything. Just ride safe and to the best of your ability and enjoy what you are doing. You can't enjoy it if you are constantly worried about what could happen.

Bill

Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always smart to ride defensively and be aware of your surroundings.

that being said, I said it before, I'll say it again; "People die in their sleep, should I be afraid of my bed"?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

a 3000 to 6000 pound vehicle will squash an 800 pound vehicle EVERY time.... a little tap between cars, will cause thousands of dollars of damage, a similar tap agaist your motorcycle can kill you.... those are the facts of life.... you have a chance to survive this mis-match if you stay calm and focused. You talk about the MSF lessons..... they are a good start, take the experienced rider class as well, and it doesn't hurt to re-take after you buy a new bike..... or even after a few years. There are wonder learning aids Ride like a pro videos, and profiecient motorcycling books..... and many more..... the more you learn, the more you will be able to spot trouble BEFORE it becomes trouble.

ride safe..... ride often
Frank

Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep on practicing. I'm in the transport industry and unfortunately have had some accident investigation practice first hand.

There is an inherentrisk factor in everything you do. One of the last set of statistics I remember seeing said that 2 people a year hang/entangle their breathing passageswhile trying to install vertical blinds, ending in fatality. I am certain they never saw it coming and the pictures would be equally as graphic.

The reality is, as a motorcyclist you get more practice every time you get out on the blacktop. You learn to watch for more, you will have to swerve, you learn a defensive skillset that is probably unique to motorcycling. Pair that with just plain common sense and standard defensive driving techniques and you're actually fairly safe.

More and more bikes are hitting the road with inexperienced riders. Heck, I'm one of them. I was a newbie with 400 miles last year. Now I have over 5500 miles. Still a motorcycle infant to a lot of these guys. But each mile you ride is full of exhileration AND danger. Don't let it get to you. Practice riding in all environments so you know how to react. Chances are, someone will test you on your knowledge and reactions nearly every ride.

Nice looking sportie, by the way.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: JeepMaker

"People die in their sleep, should I be afraid of my bed"?
Good Point, and I never heard it put that way before.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say this but looks like most of those accidents were race bikes that were traveling at high speeds. I personally have been riding at or near the speed limit when a pack of race bikes pass me like I am not moving, especially on a windy twisty road. I have a saying "respect the law and the law will respect you". I am not only talking about the police but the law from the big man upstairs.

Quick Reply: Ride2Die site