General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride2Die site

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ride2Die site

Someone on another site sent me that link, and my feelings about it are still the same...I don't need to look at blood & guts...
accidents happen, and we all need to be careful and aware, but sites like that serve no useful purpose other than shock value...
same thing as being on the street every day, and an accident occurs...some people want to slow down, rubberneck, and see if they can spot body parts...I'm not one of them...that siteis the online equivalent...each to their own, but I'll pass...

Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
ibhsffo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. Not really a bad site. First let me say that I've been riding motorcycles for 40+ years, and have been a motor cop for 10+ years. Are motorcycles dangerous? Heck yes! There are a lot of things that are dangerous. When we finished Police motor training, we had to sit down a watch a 1+ hour video of nothing but motorcycle crashes before we took our final ride. A real eye opener. I think the best thing on that site are the pictures of people that were wearing little or no protective clothing (i.e. wife beater shirts, cargo pants and flipflops)and the road rash that resulted. I hope this reminds folks just how painful black top or concrete can be. In my experience (and this is my opinion only - I have not gone through the data) the vast majority of motorcycle crashes fall into 2 catagories. 1.) Motorcycle riders that were riding well above their "experience" level. 2.) Idiot cagers that just don't pay attention!

Thanks again for the link, I'll brobably go back now and again just for a little "reality check".

Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arizona

Always ride as defensively as possible and be on the alert for those stupid moves cages make. Just go ahead and anticipate that every one of them will do exactly the worst thing they could do at the worst possible time and you'llrarely be surprised.

Respect the bike and it's inherent dangers but don't dwell on it. None of us get out of this life alive in the end remember...
It's not just cars and trucks that make the stupid moves. I've seen many bikers - of ALL flavors - make dumb moves that either endanger themselves or cause cars to have to react and create a dangerous situation.

Let's rephrase your sentence then: "Always ride as defensively as possible and be alert for stupid moves by everyone."

I follow that advice no matter what type of vehicle I'm operating; car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, airplane, snowmobile etc.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That site sounds more like they're anti-motorcycle than pro-safety.

Don't let it get to you. Be smart, ride safe, and enjoy yourself.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:29 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

Lots of very good advice here.

My father, rest his soul, never really rode. He took one of mine down the block a time or two. But he did give me some good advice, "the day you think you have mastered that SOB is the day it will kill you". A lot of truth there. Always respect your bike and remember it's limitations.

[/align]

Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Fear mongers. I've seen just as bad with car/truck accidents.
Sure it's hard for a car to see you when you are going 150mph.

Anyhow, yes it's a risk but that site has one purpose in mind regardless of what they are saying.
Every post they show talks about people selling their bikes after an accident, not riding because of their site or how motorcycles are unsafe and should be outlawed.

Your womens site has done you a disservice. You can not be a safe rider if you are constantly afraid. People die every day from a number of means. When you are on the road whether walking, riding, driving or riding a bicycle you are at risk.

Maybe we should just outlaw cages. Without cars and trucks on the road we would have much less fatalities of drivers, walkers, riders, skateboarders, hanggliders, and crawlers.[:@]

Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
njdiver
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rickoshay45

Lots of very good advice here.

My father, rest his soul, never really rode. He took one of mine down the block a time or two. But he did give me some good advice, "the day you think you have mastered that SOB is the day it will kill you". A lot of truth there. Always respect your bike and remember it's limitations.

[/align]
Well put, Just respect your ride and enjoy it, there's nothing like the feel of the wind and the open road!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not impressed with that site. Death comes to everyone--sooner or later. I refuse to live my life fearing my own death. Everything I do has a risk factor. There is no safe just safer. There is an old joke about the how unhealthy Cajun cooking is. Quit eating Cajun food live an extra ten years. Cajun wants to know what for--tens years with bland food is not living. The person that runs that site shouldn't ride if he feels that way. I don't care if someone rides or doesn't ride---thats a personal choice----- same as the helmet issue--he also should never try to tell me how to ride or what to ride. Thats my choice. When someone tries to make my choice for me---I want to return the favor and make a few choices for them.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Powerful site I must admit. I noticed that a lot of the accidents are either from driving stupid or town driving. Everyone knows stupid gets hurt and town/city driving is dangerous no matter what. City driving gives the cages to many distractions and its dog eat dog so their mentality isnt towards safety its towards getting some where they feel is important enough to risk your life not theirs in the cage.

My thoughts are this. Obey the laws of the land when driving, do not tempt God through driving stupid, and if its your time God will call your name on the bike or in your bed. If your a biker you must ride its in your soul. If your not abiker this site may stop you from riding. Bikers know their consequences of their actions and of riding a bike. We accept them and proof of it is we still ride dont we. NOW lets see a sight where heads are cut off from a trucker accident that was crying logs on it.

Friends drive safe, obey the laws, and LETS HAVE SOME FUN!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/28434/249872A79CF8489ABAB7A021897BE40F.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

If you look for it, you can find graphic images of what can happen for any endeavor in life you chose to persue. If you let these kinds of things control your life you will never do anything. Just ride safe and to the best of your ability and enjoy what you are doing. You can't enjoy it if you are constantly worried about what could happen.

Bill
Well said Bill. If I lived life worried about the "what if's" I would never leave my house. Educate yourself, ride defensively and ENJOY THE RIDE!

Quick Reply: Ride2Die site