General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006 | 04:04 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer
Default Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

I just ordered new Harley "Heated Gear (link)". I ordered the HD Heated Jacket Liner and the HD Heated Pants Liner.

The dealer did not have any thermostats in stock and I didn't know if I would really need one since both the pants and jackets have on off switches...

1. Is the thermostat needed or does turning them off and on individually work well?
2. Are the adapters included with the jacket and pants good enough or should I order additional adapters located on the "Heated Gear (link)" page?
3. And about the dual control thermostat... Is it just for gloves and jacket or would it be used for jacket and pants? Needed?
4. Before I hook them up to my bike does anyone have any suggestions...

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Old 01-30-2006 | 04:44 PM
Screamer
Road Captain
Default RE: Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

Move to California... Just kidding.

Old 01-30-2006 | 05:18 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: thunderbirdblue2

I just ordered new Harley "Heated Gear (link)". I ordered the HD Heated Jacket Liner and the HD Heated Pants Liner.

The dealer did not have any thermostats in stock and I didn't know if I would really need one since both the pants and jackets have on off switches...

1. Is the thermostat needed or does turning them off and on individually work well?
2. Are the adapters included with the jacket and pants good enough or should I order additional adapters located on the "Heated Gear (link)" page?
3. And about the dual control thermostat... Is it just for gloves and jacket or would it be used for jacket and pants? Needed?

I can't see where your from or ride, but if that is your Glide in your Avatar you must be in some cold area to want heated gear. My leathers and chaps keep me toasty, but then the coldest I've ridden in yet was 29 degrees. Hopefully someone can answer your questions. All I've done is bump your question back to the top.

Old 01-30-2006 | 05:30 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

ORIGINAL: thunderbirdblue2

I can't see where your from or ride, but if that is your Glide in your Avatar you must be in some cold area to want heated gear. My leathers and chaps keep me toasty, but then the coldest I've ridden in yet was 29 degrees. Hopefully someone can answer your questions. All I've done is bump your question back to the top.
SWEEEEEET RIDE!!!!!! Not that cold of a climate... I'm just a wimp... I woke up to a 25 degree ride last weekend and said, "There has to be a better way than to wear all of this clothing". The Ultra is a sweet ride and keeps the wind off... but if I'd have my druthers... I'd be in Key West, Florida.... Since I can't be there... I just want to feel like I am...

Old 01-30-2006 | 05:59 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks!

For now, my leather jacket, which has a liner in it and alllows no air through, does the job. If it drops down in the teens I may consider heated gear as I'm not gonna let cold stop me from riding.

Old 01-30-2006 | 06:05 PM
jjsanta
Tourer

I use a Gerbing's heated jacket liner - I've looked at the Harley branded ones at my dealer, and I think that they are made by Gerbing's and rebranded by Harley. Anyway, I just use a simple on/off switch. I've been using it this way for years. Basically, if you're cold you'll want the thing on, and if gets too warm you can just turn it off for a while. Also, I turn the switch off when I stop at long lights or in traffic. When the alternator is not spinning fast I don't want to risk over drawing current from my battery. You can purchase the thermostat from www.gerbing.com

Old 01-30-2006 | 06:16 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

I have Gerbing's heated jacket liner and glove liners with the dual controller. I am told they also make the heated gear for Harley. The pics on the Harley page look just like my stuff. I would go with the Gerbing's branded stuff. It'll be cheaper than the HD branded gear. It's very well made, and they will exchange sizes or refund no questions asked within 30 days.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-30-2006 | 06:20 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jjsanta

I use a Gerbing's heated jacket liner - I've looked at the Harley branded ones at my dealer, and I think that they are made by Gerbing's and rebranded by Harley. Anyway, I just use a simple on/off switch. I've been using it this way for years. Basically, if you're cold you'll want the thing on, and if gets too warm you can just turn it off for a while. Also, I turn the switch off when I stop at long lights or in traffic. When the alternator is not spinning fast I don't want to risk over drawing current from my battery. You can purchase the thermostat from www.gerbing.com
Thanks for the link and the info... Good stuff!!!!

I was lucky... My local HD Dealer gave me a 15% discount on the Jacket liner and pants liner... I paid $327.25 vs Gerbings advertised $398...

Harley's gloves look similar to Gerbings too... HD is $4 less... That may be my next investment...

HD HEATED LINER PAGE LINK

Old 01-30-2006 | 06:35 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

Thanks jjsanta for the Gerbings link... It was really helpful... TheWhy is Gerbing's Heated Clothing so Warm? page has a link for interconnects that was very informative... Answered some of my questions.

Thanks again...

Old 01-31-2006 | 12:43 AM
jjsanta
Tourer

No problem. Glad to help. Sounds like a good price on the jacket and pants. I paid $199 for the jacket liner alone. Killer quality though - I've been stuffing it into tank bags and saddle bags for almost 5 years and it still works flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for HD Electric Liners