General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006 | 02:22 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer
Default RE: Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

ORIGINAL: Clammy

One thing you have to be careful of is making sure the total power draw of all the heated gear doesn't exceed the bike's electrical output (including all the bike's electrical items). Usually you're good to go with any 2 items, but 3 is pushing it.

Personally, as I said, I went with the jacket liner and glove liners. I find that chaps and a pair of thermal underwear are enoguh for my legs,a nd a good pair of thermal socks for my feet.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Thanks for that info... My hands get alot colder than my legs or toes... I have a pair of ski socks I wear and they keep my toes toasty so I don't need electric socks... It was in the 20s last weekend and my legs stayed warm wearing two pairs of long john bottoms (that bulk didn't bother me)... I just didn't like the bulk on top (3 jackets)... It just makes more sense using the heated gloves and heated jacket liner... Thanks for your comment about only using two items... I sure don't want to draw to much power off the battery and end up with my bike dead in an isolated spot...

Old 02-01-2006 | 02:35 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: thunderbirdblue2

Thanks for that info... My hands get alot colder than my legs or toes... I have a pair of ski socks I wear and they keep my toes toasty so I don't need electric socks... It was in the 20s last weekend and my legs stayed warm wearing two pairs of long john bottoms (that bulk didn't bother me)... I just didn't like the bulk on top (3 jackets)... It just makes more sense using the heated gloves and heated jacket liner... Thanks for your comment about only using two items... I sure don't want to draw to much power off the battery and end up with my bike dead in an isolated spot...
Glad to help out. If you go to Gerbing's website, they list the draw in watts of each item, so you can add them up, and check the total against the output of your ride's alternator - the draw of the electrical items.

I've ridden with the jacket liner and glove liners in the 20s and even though my Night Train doesn't have a fairing or windshield, and I'm always directly in the wind, I was nice and toasty. You may want to consider the dual temp controller too, as I found that I usually had the gloves on full, but I would adjust the jacket. And since you have an Electra-Glide, your hands will be shielded from direct wind, so you may want to turn the heat down on the glove liners too.

Cheers!

Old 02-01-2006 | 03:48 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

<<<<<<snip>>>>>&g t;

That means that they were $100 more expensive than my HD set... hope not

I didn't think anything was more expensive than the dealer

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:15 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

CAUTION...

I just found out that some Gerbings jacket liners have a single controller where the gloves plug into the jacket liner and are controlled by a single electrical plug from the battery. You cannot use a dual controller for the jacket liner and gloves with this type unless you have extra external wires running down each sleeve. You can plug the gloves into this jacket liner but the jacket liner turns off at the same time the gloves turn off.

The newer Gerbings jacket liners have dual input electrical plugs that will allow you to use the dual controller for the jacket liners and the gloves... The jacket liner can turn off and the gloves can remain on...

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:56 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Bought the jacket liners for wife and I. We were very lucky, stopped at a Harley dealer on the way home from a ride along the coast. They were having a close-out sale. Bought both liners for $89.00 a piece. Since we live in So. Cal it doesn't get that cold anytime, you just don't have to wear a heavy jacket. We also just use the on/off switch. The thermostat was about $70.00 as I recall.

Old 02-01-2006 | 11:28 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

One thing you have to be careful of is making sure the total power draw of all the heated gear doesn't exceed the bike's electrical output (including all the bike's electrical items). Usually you're good to go with any 2 items, but 3 is pushing it.

Personally, as I said, I went with the jacket liner and glove liners. I find that chaps and a pair of thermal underwear are enoguh for my legs,a nd a good pair of thermal socks for my feet.

Cheers!
Checked with my 2006 HD Owner's Manual for my 2006 Ultra Classic... The manual states, "It is possible to overload your motorcycle's charging system by adding too many electircal accessories...See a Harley-Davidson dealer for advice about the amount of current consumed by additional electrical accessories, or for necessary wiring changes...For model specific information regarding the voltage regulator, refer to the appropriate Service Manual or see a Harley-Davidson dealer."

Anyone have a service manual for a 2006 Ultra Classic and can tell me how many watts I can add?

Old 02-01-2006 | 11:46 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior

I use the Gerbing "Permanent Dual Controller", HD heated gloves and Gerbing heated socks. The controllers lets you adjust the temp to "just right" for what ever the conditions are. I had used the switch when I had only the gloves and sometimes they were just too warm or to cold. I ride 150 miles round trip almost everyday so I use them plenty. Well worth the money. My .02 cents.[&:]

Old 02-02-2006 | 12:01 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

Glad to help out. If you go to Gerbing's website, they list the draw in watts of each item, so you can add them up, and check the total against the output of your ride's alternator - the draw of the electrical items.

I've ridden with the jacket liner and glove liners in the 20s and even though my Night Train doesn't have a fairing or windshield, and I'm always directly in the wind, I was nice and toasty. You may want to consider the dual temp controller too, as I found that I usually had the gloves on full, but I would adjust the jacket. And since you have an Electra-Glide, your hands will be shielded from direct wind, so you may want to turn the heat down on the glove liners too.

Cheers!
Just checked with my HD Service dept. They said that their service manual does not give how many additional watts that you can use... they said that you can use an additional 45 amps...

Is there a way to determine how many watts that 45 amps would be?????

Jackekt 77 watts
Gloves 22 watts
Total: 99 watts...

Later on... could I add pants liner with 44 additional watts for a total of 143 watts for an 06 Ultra????

Old 02-02-2006 | 10:16 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

Your answer for 144 watts of equipment is about 11 amps. so you are good to go.

To figure it out, divide your watts by the voltage and that gives you amps. I used 13 volts cause thats about what the voltage is with the bike running.

watts divided by voltage = amps

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:08 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

Took my Ultra in for my 7500 mile check up this morning and was it cold... I wore the heated glove liners and were they awesome... I can't wait until I get my jacket liner... I'm supposed to get it Wednesday...

Quick Reply: Suggestions for HD Electric Liners