General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006 | 12:59 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Suggestions for HD Electric Liners

Like already mentioned the Gerbing gear has a one year warranty on the material etc, but it has a Life Time on the heating elements. Not sure if HD does the life time thing or not.

Old 01-31-2006 | 11:01 AM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

FROM GERBINGS:

1. Jacket liners, pant liners, and vests work best when worn under windproof clothing. Wind takes the heat away.
2. Our outerwear is windproof due to the urethane coating on the fabric.
Wear only one layer under Gerbing's clothing. A long-sleeved turtleneck under a coat or liner is ideal.
3. Pant liners don't work well under denim pants. If you wear denim its best to wear Gerbing's outerwear.
4. If its real cold outside, wearing raingear enhances the warming effect by sealing out more wind.

Please look at #3 and let me know your opinion... I'll be riding an Ultra and am curious if I will need waterproof pants or outerwear over the jeans...

Old 01-31-2006 | 11:21 AM
Tubz
Intermediate

TBB2,

Statement # 3 is right on. I've worn the pant heated liners with jeans and with jeans/rain pants and the later is way warmer. I use the dual control and keep the pants up full power and the jacket half power. The pants seem less powerful to me. Either way, there a great investment. Anything to keep riding! Make sure the fit is on the tight side, this makes them more efficient.

Tubz

Old 01-31-2006 | 05:14 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

Stopped by the local BMW dealer.... They sell Gerbings products... They had a pair of heated gloves hooked up... I slid my hands in and OH WOW!!!! AWESOME!!!!! Gotta get a pair of them!!!!!

Checked their prices... Almost same as Gerbings Web Page... A couple things they let me know... Neither the pants nor the Jacket comes with an on/off switch (add $15 per set (Total $30))... and yes both had life time warranties...

That means that they were $100 more expensive than my HD set... I don't think the warranty is worth an extra $100 to me... Well I hope not anyway...

Old 01-31-2006 | 05:56 PM
Rage
2nd Gear

I ride with the electric gloves and jacket liner all winter. About 18 miles each way to work and back. For long hauls I purchased the heated socks last year. I dont use a thermostat, just the on off switch when needed. Don't really need the pants liner, I run with long underwear, blue jeans and then top it off with leather chaps. Personally, I think the thermostat is to bulky and a waste of money!

Old 02-01-2006 | 09:58 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior

Ive got the heated vest and gloves. They work great! I use the supplied on/off switch and found it to work just fine. It really adds comfort to riding but like all cold riding gear, it adds to the burden of getting dressed.

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:40 AM
jjsanta
Tourer

Yeah, that's a good point. It does take an extra few minutes to get all the gear on and wired up. But man, you forget about all that as soon as you get on the road! Like one poster wrote, "Anything to keep riding!"

I also picked my Gerbing stuff up at a local BMW dealer here in Jersey. They tend to have lots of wiring accessories and switches and stuff. Those BMW guys are a cool bunch - really gadget happy!

Old 02-01-2006 | 10:54 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

A good trick for the heated jacket liner is to wear a large sweatshirt OVER the liner. I find it increases the heat a LOT!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-01-2006 | 01:49 PM
thunderbirdblue2
|
Tourer

The local BMW dealer called me last night... I was very impressed with his knowledge of his products. He said that he would match the HD price for Gerbings products... I'm headed over there to talk with him now...

From what I've read so far... It is a much better investment to go with the heated gloves and heated jacket liner than with the heated liner jacket and heated liner pants... I'm going to talk to him about that combination and see what his price is...

Keep the comments coming... They have been REALLY helpful...

Old 02-01-2006 | 02:10 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: thunderbirdblue2

The local BMW dealer called me last night... I was very impressed with his knowledge of his products. He said that he would match the HD price for Gerbings products... I'm headed over there to talk with him now...

From what I've read so far... It is a much better investment to go with the heated gloves and heated jacket liner than with the heated liner jacket and heated liner pants... I'm going to talk to him about that combination and see what his price is...

Keep the comments coming... They have been REALLY helpful...

One thing you have to be careful of is making sure the total power draw of all the heated gear doesn't exceed the bike's electrical output (including all the bike's electrical items). Usually, you're good to go with any 2 items, but 3 is pushing it.

Personally, as I said, I went with the jacket liner and glove liners. I find that chaps and a pair of thermal underwear are enough for my legs,a nd a good pair of thermal socks for my feet.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Suggestions for HD Electric Liners