Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 3,435 Posts
Default Riding in Hawaii

The wife and I are going to Hawaii in about 10 days for our 25th. We plan to stay pretty much on Oahu for a week, and I thought it would be nice to see some of the more scenic parts of the island on bikes. My wife does not ride, so at best I'm considering renting a moped or some sort of scooter for her. I checked Big Kahuna rentals online and they rent all kinds of Harleys, so I'm thinking about trying out a street glide for a few days.

Has anyone here ever rented bikes/scooters/mopeds in Hawaii?? Are there enough places for the two of us to ride and see to make it worth the money? Also, what is the helmet law requirement in Hawaii? If I read it correctly, it seems like as long as you're over 18, the only thing required is eye protection.

Any thoughts or suggestions, shared experiences, etc. would be appreciated.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM
KingNiko
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding in Hawaii

Laz263,

I rented a 03 Fatboy on the island of Kauai about 4 years ago and had a blast, beautifull scenerary and great roads. You are correct on the helmet law, however when renting the Harley they may requier you to wear one especially if you rent through HOG Fly and Ride Program.

I know this doesn't help you for riding on Oahu but I'm sure there will many great places to ride and veiw a great sunset somewhere.

Ride safe,

Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

I have rented a couple times in Hawaii, The last time I rented from the dealer in Honolulu and it was the best value. I have rented from an independant bike and scooter rental and the bike was pretty beat up. The dealer rents newer bikes and sells them after awhile. The ride from Honolulu to North Shore is nice and then continuing around to Diamond Head is beautiful.
No helmets if over 18.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I lived on Oahu until last year. Spent 15 years there, Iwill return in 2 yearsGod willing.
The ride from Honolulu to the South shore into Waimanalo is absolutely beautiful.
Get on H1,Oahu has 3 highways, H1, H2, and you guessed H3), head towards Hawaii Kai, and then you make a curve around the Islands south shore, nearSandy Beach and the Blow hole,(near eternity beach from the movie Here to eternity), Makapuu Beach, and Sea life park, (place where Adam Sandler worked there in the movie 50 first dates). Take the road all the way into Waimanalo and then Kailua, thenyoucan take the Pali Highway which will take you back to Honolulu or Waikiki.

You can stop in kailua for lunch if you prefer a sit-down more upscale restaraunt atmosphere, or you can eat at a road side "plate lunch place"( Hawaiian greasy spoon style eatery) while riding.

This is truly one of the most scenic views of the entire island. The ride will take you about 1 to 2.5 hours depending on traffic and whether you stop at any of the many scenic stops for tourists.
Ireccommend taking the ride ataround 10 am and being finished by 1:30 in order to avoid any traffic, traffic can get bad on the island during rush hours.

I must have taken that ride 100 times in the 15 years I lived there.

Also as others have mentioned the ride to the North shore through the old Pineapple field roads is very nice as well.

Cheers and have a great time and enjoy the Island its awesome.

Tom
Have a great time.

edit: No helmet required for adults and I do NOT reccommend renting a scooter. Sounds like a good Idea, but trust me IT IS NOT a good Idea. You will put yourself in danger riding on the roads with a scooter. You will not be allowed on the free ways with a scooter.

Also, The Harley Dealership is very near the airport under the free way, might call them and see if they offer rentals. I believe for HOG members Hawaii is a fly and ride destination.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ZeroFiveFour

I lived on Oahu until last year. Spent 15 years there, Iwill return in 2 yearsGod willing.
The ride from Honolulu to the South shore into Waimanalo is absolutely beautiful.
Get on H1,Oahu has 3 highways, H1, H2, and you guessed H3), head towards Hawaii Kai, and then you make a curve around the Islands south shore, nearSandy Beach and the Blow hole,(near eternity beach from the movie Here to eternity), Makapuu Beach, and Sea life park, (place where Adam Sandler worked there in the movie 50 first dates). Take the road all the way into Waimanalo and then Kailua, thenyoucan take the Pali Highway which will take you back to Honolulu or Waikiki.

You can stop in kailua for lunch if you prefer a sit-down more upscale restaraunt atmosphere, or you can eat at a road side "plate lunch place"( Hawaiian greasy spoon style eatery) while riding.

This is truly one of the most scenic views of the entire island. The ride will take you about 1 to 2.5 hours depending on traffic and whether you stop at any of the many scenic stops for tourists.
Ireccommend taking the ride ataround 10 am and being finished by 1:30 in order to avoid any traffic, traffic can get bad on the island during rush hours.

I must have taken that ride 100 times in the 15 years I lived there.

Also as others have mentioned the ride to the North shore through the old Pineapple field roads is very nice as well.

Cheers and have a great time and enjoy the Island its awesome.

Tom
Have a great time.

edit: No helmet required for adults and I do NOT reccommend renting a scooter. Sounds like a good Idea, but trust me IT IS NOT a good Idea. You will put yourself in danger riding on the roads with a scooter. You will not be allowed on the free ways with a scooter.

Also, The Harley Dealership is very near the airport under the free way, might call them and see if they offer rentals. I believe for HOG members Hawaii is a fly and ride destination.

Wow, I almost feel like I have riden that myself... gonna have to put that on my to do list Tom

Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 PM
retep2281
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Mauii in 2002 and rented a Deuce for a day......It was the best day out of the 8 i had on the island. I strongly recomend taking a charter to Mauii and renting one and doing "the road to Hana" its hawaiis version of the dragon tail, with everything from waterfalls to beautiful oceanic overlooks. By all means do it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

I rented a Road King in Maui in 2005. Had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Lived in Hawaii from 84-87 and travel back often, next trip will be end of May to the Big Island. No matter where you go in the islands you shouldn't have a problem with finding a rental. You'll definately enjoy the ride.plenty to see ...

Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
msog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 02ULTRA

I have rented a couple times in Hawaii, The last time I rented from the dealer in Honolulu and it was the best value. I have rented from an independant bike and scooter rental and the bike was pretty beat up. The dealer rents newer bikes and sells them after awhile. The ride from Honolulu to North Shore is nice and then continuing around to Diamond Head is beautiful.
No helmets if over 18.
Ditto on renting from dealers. Did the independent thing on Maui once. That was the last time. It was a Dyna in poor shape. I would only consider dealers from now on. If you can make it over to the Big Island, they have some really nice roads on the Kona side and the Kona dealer has a decent selection of rentals, including a custom or two (that was in 2006).

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
dogleg
Novice

Laz263, I live here in Kailua Oahu and it looks like your gonna have some good weather! The ride as described by ZeroFiveFour is the way to go. The North Shore ride is awesome. Good Mexican restaurant up there is Cholos. Caution near the beaches and surf spots where the cages get careless....visual distractions .....surf & bikinis!!..... Cycle City (808-831-2603) is the Harley Dealership by the airport that rents. ...thats where I bought mine. ....eye protection is required when riding in Hawaii.......Ride safe! Aloha, Dave

Quick Reply: Riding in Hawaii