General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Bikes & Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Bikes & Harleys

Well, been on a series of Rallies in the last few days since the weekend; and learnt one thing for sure.

When half the bikes are Sport Bikes, (as in the rider being in the missionary position,) don’t even think of trying to keep up with that chit.
Man, there’s only a few roads here you can go over 70 mph safely, but trying to keep up with these guys who’re doing like 80/90 is f’ing insane. Sometimes you don’t even realise you’re doing it, until you look at the speedo.

Anyhow, I crossed way over into the other lane 3 damn times almost uncontrollably, directly due to this. I ain’t the most experienced rider, …..'bout a year in the saddle.

Anyhow, after the 3rd time; during a stop, I sort of shouted out to the 70 or so bikes ….. Hey Yo, …..You guys wanna chill the F out and give us Harleys a Freakin’ break. Funny, but they seemed to chill out after that.

Anyone else find themselves in this position when on rallies, like going way to damn fast for one’s good. Seems like if the leaders are going 70 mph, hell, the rear is having to go 80 just to keep up.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sport Bikes & Harley

Go to the Harley videos or just type in motorcycle crash in YouTube search and you'll see lots of fools final videos. That's why over half of all fatalaties are single vehicle accidents.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't ride in groups.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't ride above your level . . it could mean your last ride ever. [&:]

Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ride slower and eventually you wil catch up.

So what if the party is done by the time you get to the end of the ride.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ride at your pace and level then you will still be here!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pull out your gun and shoot the lead rider, that usually sets an example for the rest of them.

Just kiddin' of course....

But like the others said, just ride at your speed and comfort level and don't worry about what others are doing...

After all, they can't pull up the road and take it with them, so it will still be there.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, that's why I do my pleasure riding solo !!!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
baxter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love given the sport bikers a run for their money.. i had a couple on my tail coming down Ortega highway until i hit 90mph threw the twistys and i think i spooked em. they caught me at the first light on the bottom of the mountain and jus nodded. iono if that woulda been possible on a fat boy with solid rims though, Dynas seem to handle that well and i have my bike set up for abuse.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the realm of "pack" riding. I always ride "tailgunner" because of my brake status. When pack riding, as in MC, the guy in the back pounds the chit out of his bike to keep up. NOT me, if you want to take off like a jackrabbit or a jack butt, have at it. I will catch up eventually. Not going to beat the snot out of my bike, and not going to endanger Momma and Me, just to keep up with your butt,just causeyou want toride and act like that.Funny thing is, last 2 times I was with this particular MC in Tenn, once and Ill., once, when we got ready to ride back to campgrounds, several of them came up and said, Gumby, can we follow you back (I am not a patch nor aprobate, nor a prospect) because we don't want to ride that fast. But some ppl just never get the hint, I guess. They are still at it, and will be forever, I suppose. But not my cup of tea.

Quick Reply: Sport Bikes & Harleys