General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips on pulling a wheelie on a touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008 | 09:44 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Any tips on pulling a wheelie on a touring bike?

WOW,

60 responses to one of the most dumbassed questions I have ever heard.....and I'm responding and adding to the post count. Wonder if the guy even owns a bike

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:04 PM
rde
Road Captain

"Stupid is as stupid does"

Forrest Gump

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:21 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

Anyone who would attempt a wheely on a touring bike is a complete dumb fu**.

I think that just the way you are positioned on a cruiser would cause it to end in disaster. On a sport bike seems like your center of gravity is more towards the front of the bike so you can lean forwards to keep from falling over.

But what do I know, only wheely I ever popped was on a dirt bike, and that wasn't planned and I still to this day have no idea how I rode it out.

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:23 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Yeah...buy an 1800Gold Wing!

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:27 PM
benman
Road Captain

Alot o horsepower, then just grip it and rip it

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:32 PM
akenaten
Banned

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:49 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

After spending a bit too much time on you tube I have decided Harley wheelies look way more bad *** than crotch rocket ones and if you really feel you can do it you should go for it. There are enough videos out there to prove you aren't the only person insane enough to wheelie an 800lb motorcylce.

Old 03-06-2008 | 11:46 PM
rebelmark
Intermediate

Its easy....get a rolling start, rev it up, and dump the clutch... Have a passenger on back or alot of weight in the tour pack...my buddy stands his Electra Glide straight up and scrapes the pipes...he's done it so many times the pipe tips are worn...its bad *** ****, and only yuppies would tell you not to do it.

btw..he used to do this on his 80inch Stock EVO, so you don't need a pumped up motor..he now does it on his 96inch

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:12 AM
CarbideDude
Tourer

One other important tip especially if you don't have a lot of motor upgrades: make sure you are going up a slight incline, or better yet find a little riser with a steep dip, roll at it around 3K rpm, weight back, goose the motor just before you get to the rise, the weight will then bounce back and compress your front forks. You should time it sothe forks rebound at the same time you hit the rise, still at 3K rpm, give immediate full throttle as you crest. She'll pop right up, even without a real powerful motor, passenger or trunk weight. Keep the throttle wide open and pull back hard to ride as long as possible ... which won't be very long.

If you don't have a crest, go up a slight incline. Get to 3K rpm, go full throttle, release and let the weight come back down and compress the forks, full throttle again and the springs will help bounce the front end up. Each successive bounce will get your front end a little higher, usually.

I pop them all the time on my Road King and think it's really fun. I've never had a drop or spill, probably because I can't get it up nearly as high as like the dude in that video. But my bike is not nearly as powerful as his, and I don't have a trunk either. I don't think it's that dangerous.

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:44 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

I don't know what the big deal is, my buddy Mike does it once in a while on his Ultra.

He's a crazy f**k though.

About lost all of our beer in his bags last year going to a rally.

Quick Reply: Any tips on pulling a wheelie on a touring bike?