General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker grandma

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biker grandma

Last week my wife got to visit her grandmother, who's 94, and still in exceptional good conditions, for her age.
i didn't go, as I got flu, and didn't want to risk transmission (it can even be fatal, at that age).
It's some time I don't see her (actually, since last summer holydays, when we were all at my mother in law's country home).
Chit chatting my wife told her I got a bike, and told me she was left stupefied when his grandma eyes lit as she recollected how great was having a bike.
As it turns out, his now long dead husband had a Guzzi. they even bought a sidecar when my mother in law was born and she became too big to ride between her parents (other times...).
She recollected how great it was riding in the mountains "It's like flying, with al the mountains around you. When you go high, it may get cold, and it may rain, but it won't matter, as it's so great that you don't notice it. When we had to sell the bike to get the money to buy a car, we both cried" she told her.
My wife was truly amazed of this, as she didn't even suspect her grandparents had a bike and her grandma could be so passionate about it.
Just wanted to share. We often see some people as old geezers because we have never met them as anything else, but we all had a youth, and listening to old people recollect what they did can be amazing, especially since, in my experience, they seem to be much better storytellers than we are. Less TV, perhaps. [8D]

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
njdiver
Road Captain
Default RE: Biker grandma

It's amazing what we can learn from those who have gone before!!![sm=deal.gif]

Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

your ol should of asked if she had any pics from back in the days

just yesterday I was having lunch with a friend of mine and he said that this year when he goes to Sturgis he will be wearing his Grandfathers 1936 outlaws Sturgis belt buckel as a tribute to his still living Grandfather ............

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

your ol should of asked if she had any pics from back in the days

just yesterday I was having lunch with a friend of mine and he said that this year when he goes to Sturgis he will be wearing his Grandfathers 1936 outlaws Sturgis belt buckel as a tribute to his still living Grandfather ............
I'll ask her myself next time I see her.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I always enjoy listening to my elders. Loved listening to my Grandpa talk about the depression days and how he had to make ends meet. It's just fascinating listening to them recount thier stories and knowing how much easier we have it from when they grew up!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

The wife and I were riding one day. We were stopped at a light when a lady about 80 years old stopped next to us. She was looking at us. Next thing I notice is that she's rolling her window down. The wife and I thought she was going to start reading us the riot act because we were wearing our leathers and my Softail is not exactly the quietest. She shocked us both when she said she wished she was out riding with us. Said she had a bike herself back in the day. Both my wife and I still laugh about it to this day.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: njdiver

It's amazing what we can learn from those who have gone before!!![sm=deal.gif]
LOL It's about time some of you learned to listen to your elders !!!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Scrapin
Intermediate

Had an old friend once.Lived up the street. He lived across from my wife's family when she was real young. They eventually moved away but stayed friends.Funny how life turns out... my wife and I ended up building a house just a few blocks from him. So every Saturday morning he'd be down for coffee. He loved life and loved to tell his tales. He loved photography, taking things apart to see how they worked, even though they didn't always work after he put them back together. He loved trains. He used to ride them from coast-to-coast, hobo style. He worked in the logging camps and cut trees with an axe. He told us ofhow he usedto passa warehouse on hiswalk to work in Chicago. One day,it was Valentines day, a bunch of guys were massacred in that warehouse.At 90 years young he would throw the canoe on top of his car a go for a paddle. He liked to go early, before the wind picked up. He'd ride his 10-speed bike four miles one way several times a week to have breakfast at the truck stop. He'd pedal that bike so slow you'd think he could defy gravity. He always went early. He was usually back home before most folks left for work. My favorite stories though, were of him and his motorcycles. He rode the early bikes... Harleys and Indians. Before many of the roadswere paved, hell most roads around northern MN were little more than two ruts. Back when "bikers" didn't get much respect. They were hoodlums, outlaws. But he rode anyway because oh how he loved to ride. I didn't own a Harley while he was alive. I think he would be proud of me now. He passed away several years ago at age 98. I miss him. I have a photo of him when he was a young man sitting on his motorcyle.Its one of my favorite photos. I know he still rides...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Scrapin..mind posting a pic of your friend? Would love to see it!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so,, your OL comes from good blood!

Quick Reply: Biker grandma