General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind gusts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 04:56 AM
sugaree23663
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind gusts

Hey all,

Just started riding again after 30 years out of the seat. Where I live, I have to go across one of three bridge tunnels to get to work. 3-4 miles long, over the water near the Chesapeake bay. Some times the wind gusts coming across the water are just unreal. How do you all deal with 15 mph and above wind coming at you un-expectedly?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 03-04-2008 | 06:50 AM
BillyO
Road Captain
Default RE: Wind gusts

What type/ style of bike are you riding ?
I have a Road Glide that, because of the fixed fairing, handles the wind very well.

Old 03-04-2008 | 06:52 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Tom,
I, too, went years out of the saddle but wind gusts are something that you neverreally get accustomed to anyway. While I am not too bothered by 15 mph winds, some of the gusts in the high 20's and 30's actually push my '06 Deluxearound. I just maintain my speed. The problem gusts are the cross-winds. Those are going to move yousideways a bit. Nothing to panic over. I find that I deal with the steering practically automatically, almost like avoiding a sudden pot-hole. What I do concern myself with is not being in a situation where, if a cross wind pushes me sideways some few inches, that I be off the road or into sand, etc. That is the only real danger, I think. The mere sideways pushing of the wind is not going to knock you over. You have Newton's laws to back that up. Of course, don't ride through a tornado relying on Newton, lol. Anyway, for me, I will ride up to weather forecasts calling for 25 mph gusts. Take care.

PS- If you find yourself hitting the brakes as an automatic reaction to a wind gust, then you have a problem. That is a habit you must avoid, since hitting your brakes together with a gusty cross wind, could give up control of the bike. Increasing throttle is certainly preferable to any braking in a gust. In fact, I would suppose that it is precisely your throttle and inertia that permits for riding through winds. Perhaps others have better advice. Ok, enjoy.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:10 AM
sugaree23663
|
Cruiser

Doc and Billy:

Thanks for you input. I have a 94 dyna lowrider and a 03 sportster. The dyna does handle the gusts better, but sometimes the 20+ crosswind makes me pucker so bad.. I was curious as to how folks with more seat time handle it. I stole a car to get home last night, left the Dyna at work. They were calling for 25 plus gusts last night. On the way home, I saw everyone out on baggers and wide whatevers cruising the streets. I felt like quite the pu**y.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:18 AM
pepesworld
Cruiser

I tour on a Heritage, lowered with cut down windshield. have been in severe crosswinds such that a travel advisory was issued. Iwas supprized to find that the bike did fine. Wind affects it very little. The weight in relation to the profile is good. The blast of wind when trucks pass, as well as cross gusts on bridges have been no problem.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:29 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sugaree23663

Hey all,

Just started riding again after 30 years out of the seat. Where I live, I have to go across one of three bridge tunnels to get to work. 3-4 miles long, over the water near the Chesapeake bay. Some times the wind gusts coming across the water are just unreal. How do you all deal with 15 mph and above wind coming at you un-expectedly?

Thanks,

Tom
15 mph winds? You gotta be kidding me. It's not uncommon here to have steady 30 mph winds with gusts above 50 mph.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:54 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I do is lean the bike back into the wind. I don't ever remember having problems.If the cross wind is blowing from right to left, then ride more to the right side of the lane in case the wind blows you off a bit. I know Fat Boys with the solid wheels are more susceptibleto cross winds.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:56 AM
2wheeltom77
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to ride in those conditions and I guess I got used to it. I've had some head on gusts drop me 10mph on my old honda. Of course the softail doesn't have that problem. I rode back home this past sunday about 230 miles in 20 - 30 mph crosswinds. Eventually I guess you just naturally react and lean into them. As long as you stay between the white and yellow no biggy. I have to admit though once I got into KC, they were gusting up to 40 mph and I got pushed over a lane on a bridge......at that point I was ready for the garage. It definitely can take the enjoyment out of a ride no doubt, and also make your neck muscles pretty sore. I certainly enjoyed the weekend of riding in AR though, gotta love the hills and mountains for less wind and better roads. Take care.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:28 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The pic below was taken atop the Oahe Dam, Pierre, SD, 2005, on our way to Sturgis. If you look at the flag, and the right tassle (those tassles weigh POUNDS), gives you some idea of what 50 mph winds with 65 mphgusts do. After the pic was taken (we were on the east end of the dam) we rode the almost 2 miles across the top of it to the west side. Born and raised in Dakota, and the joke is, "Does the wind always blow like this out here?" Answer: "No, some times it comes out of the east" So have been around it basically my whole life.
I have found the most difficult is the coming out from behind a sheltered area and getting blind sided. IE: If I'm riding east, and the wind is from the North, I'll ride almost of the center line. That way if a gust hits me, I have the whole lane to recover. IF you are out in the open, in heavy winds, and are "leaning" into it, and you see a sheltered area coming up, or a high profile vehicle, let the wind carry you to the opposite side(down wind)of the lane. That way when you get to the sheltered area(you lose the wind), again, you have the rest of your lane to recupe. And there are times when you just have to "man up" and say, it is too dangerous to continue. That's what happened in Pierre. We layed up forover a day, waiting for the winds to subside. When they got down to 30, we headed back out.
The closest I have come tobiffing it, was the bridge in S. Illinois, on I 24 over the Ohio River.We were pack riding to Tenn, and when we got onto the bridge, the wind blew us across 2 lanes, and I came within a foot or less of the left divider. NOT FUN!!! And Thank the Man, no cars in the left lane when it happened.
The important thing - slow down, and always keep distance between you and other vehicles to allow you maneuvering room.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49714/47E8773964274AB6A145B5234D49F6EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:38 AM
landest
Road Warrior

Spend time in the saddle and it won't bother you anymore....

just don't over react..

It'spart of the ride..

Quick Reply: Wind gusts