General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind gusts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:33 PM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wind gusts

ORIGINAL: TwiggyAZ

I was out in 45MPH winds this past Sunday. I swear, sometimes I think if I lifted my butt up off that seat my feet would be flappin in the wind while I'm hangin on to my handlebars for dear life!!

I shift my *** on the seat against the wind! But we have a lot of mountains here, so you go in between these and you get hit time and again, bam, to the left, bam to the right! When we got off the country road and got onto the freeway for some of the ride, and those semi's were whizzing by me in that 45MPH winds...I thought the bike was just going to pick up and be sucked right into the back of one of em!! I had to stop at the next town and catch my breath. Then I wanted to slap the crap out of DH when he told the folks we were riding with(I was blazin the trail) that I was a little afraid of the freeway....FU - The wind was kickin my ***, I was keepin us safe forcryingoutloud ya bubblehead!!

I don't mind 10-35 MPH winds. I was told many years ago, make yourself part of the bike, lean down on the tank(this is in really high winds) and stay at as steady a speed as you can. Slow down if you feel more comfortable. Knowing that the wind will NOT blow you over is a good fear reducer.

Once you experience it a few times and get through it, your confidence will increase. Good Luck.
Ha Ha,

Twiggy I thought I was the only one that did'nt enjoy that!
Were you down through Texas Canyoneast of Tucson?
We rodethrough there on the way back from Mt. Graham,
man it was chilly, but the wind I've been riding since I was a
teenager, I can honestly say that was the most aggressive ride I've been on.
I've been on roller coasters not that gratifying [:'(]
I ride an Ultra Classic, that batwing was slapping side to side.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:44 PM
ggreenetx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had 20 to 35 mph winds nearly everyday here in West Texas and it's just something you have to get used to. We rode through a sandstorm a couple of weeks ago running about 300 miles with gusts up to 45 to 55 mph. The winds can move you 2 or 3 feet sideways so make sure you don't have anyone riding next to you and as said relax your hold on the scoot. The more you ride the better you'll handle it and where I live it's just a part of life. A calm day here is winds of 15 to 20 mph.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:46 PM
wildside41
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Roadglide. Wind ? what wind?

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:57 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DaveMK

A40+mph crosswind hitting solid wheels has to make you sit up and take notice.
I have a Fat Boy and I am one of the ones who says the wind does effect the ride.

Some thing that may help with the confidence when it get windy keep your knees close to the tank and scoot up in the seat just a bit. I helps to keep you towards the bikes center, a little easier to control and it also helps with reaction times. Do not hold on too tight. Ride with relaxed shoulders and trust the bike.

Old 03-04-2008 | 10:33 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DaveMK

A40+mph crosswind hitting solid wheels has to make you sit up and take notice.

40+will make anyone situp and notice

Old 03-04-2008 | 10:51 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

99% of the time I ride 2up and that is the only time the cross winds bother me. I worry for her saftey.

Old 03-05-2008 | 12:56 AM
xor13
Tourer

I try to ride more towards the center, and lean in the wind, while chanting, it's going to be alright. The winds get pretty brisk out here by sturgis. I have had to countersteer and lean to keep the thing going straight. The only feeling I do not like is when the gusts come up and it feels like the wheels are coming out from under me. When that happens, I tend to go a bit slower, and get off the superslab if I am on it.

Old 03-05-2008 | 03:36 AM
marthared
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: sugaree23663

Hey all,

Just started riding again after 30 years out of the seat. Where I live, I have to go across one of three bridge tunnels to get to work. 3-4 miles long, over the water near the Chesapeake bay. Some times the wind gusts coming across the water are just unreal. How do you all deal with 15 mph and above wind coming at you un-expectedly?

Thanks,

Tom
15 mph winds? You gotta be kidding me. It's not uncommon here to have steady 30 mph winds with gusts above 50 mph.
Yep, same here BadBob... Pac Northwest can whollup some winds. They don't really bother me, in fact, I think they're kinda fun. The only thing about them that makes me a little on edge is when stuff is flying across the road.

Old 03-05-2008 | 09:21 AM
scarnay
Road Master

Fighting the wind and tractor trailers passing by, I though I was lifted off the road yesterday. Rode for 5 hours yesterday and was Ok till I got home.Igot off my scoot and walked in the house and was instantly exhausted.What a POWER NAP!What a ride too! Had a blast.