General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind gusts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:51 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Wind gusts

believe me, you're not the only one the wind bothers.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:55 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: landest

Spend time in the saddle and it won't bother you anymore....

just don't over react..

It'spart of the ride..
Not always true. Certainly the majority of times we encounter high winds they can be ridden without too much of a degree of difficulty but severe high winds have caused death to motorcycle riders (and passengers) and there can be a time and place when it is wise to simply stop in a reasonably sheltered area and wait it out.

Old 03-04-2008 | 09:22 AM
Lucky Scott
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode out to Anza Borrego Sunday and hit extreme winds on the 91 fwy as we were heading east. The winds were around 35-40 mph and pushed my RK around a bit, and for a few minutes I was a little worried. I almost turned back, but toughed it out. We were 8 riders and one guy did turn back, but I'm glad I stuck it out. had the best ride of the year for the rest of the day. Stopped in Julian for some apple pie and rode home through temecula on a perfect riding day.
Did wake up with some serious wind burn on the bottom half of my face.

Old 03-04-2008 | 10:27 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that the force exerted by the wind varies with the square of the velocity. In other words, a 40 mph wind exerts 16 times the force of a 10 mph wind.

Old 03-04-2008 | 11:03 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was out in 45MPH winds this past Sunday. I swear, sometimes I think if I lifted my butt up off that seat my feet would be flappin in the wind while I'm hangin on to my handlebars for dear life!!

I shift my *** on the seat against the wind! But we have a lot of mountains here, so you go in between these and you get hit time and again, bam, to the left, bam to the right! When we got off the country road and got onto the freeway for some of the ride, and those semi's were whizzing by me in that 45MPH winds...I thought the bike was just going to pick up and be sucked right into the back of one of em!! I had to stop at the next town and catch my breath. Then I wanted to slap the crap out of DH when he told the folks we were riding with(I was blazin the trail) that I was a little afraid of the freeway....FU - The wind was kickin my ***, I was keepin us safe forcryingoutloud ya bubblehead!!

I don't mind 10-35 MPH winds. I was told many years ago, make yourself part of the bike, lean down on the tank(this is in really high winds) and stay at as steady a speed as you can. Slow down if you feel more comfortable. Knowing that the wind will NOT blow you over is a good fear reducer.

Once you experience it a few times and get through it, your confidence will increase. Good Luck.

Old 03-04-2008 | 11:13 AM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was riding yesterday and there were 60 mph gusts and a steady 30 to 40 mph wind. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but like someone else said, you get used to it. Just take it easy. I find thatyou just sorta automatically adjust the wayyou ride to compensate. I really don't find it that dangerous. I can understand that it would bea little unsettling though, when you haven't ridden for a while.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:27 PM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

A40+mph crosswind hitting solid wheels has to make you sit up and take notice.

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:59 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think as you start to get more used to the way your bike handles you will be less intimidated by the wind. Just ride safe and give yourself plenty of room to meneuver on the road.

Gump, I know what ya mean about the wind in South Dakota, Was coming back from there lastJuly and the wind never dropped below 35MPH. and was gusting over 50 across the whole state as well as most of MN. Made for an intense ride, one I will never forget.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:17 PM
pr_capone
Tourer

I rode from Emporia to Wichita in 40 MPH on my Sporty. That was an adventure to say the least.

It slowed me down to about 50 MPH instead of the 70 MPH I had been cruising at. All I could do was hunker down on the bike and concentrate on not getting blown into the other lane.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:24 PM
Pipedream
Advanced

There is one road near my house that seems especially gusty. I have an 03 sporty and gusts over 20 definately push me a little(crosswinds). Gusts from the front or back dont seem to bother me. I have to think that a lighter bike like my sporty is more apt to drift a little. It usaully doesnt take me off course.

Quick Reply: Wind gusts