General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 AM
getpower
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?

First off, I know nothing about Harleys. Only that if I was to get a motorcycle for the street to ride to work and stuff that this is what I'd want. But I dont know the models.

However, heres the rest of my background: I am currently 17, and will be graduating in May and right now, my mentality is that a motorcycle will save a lot of gas. I am not new to motorcycles. I ride a 2002 KTM 400EXC dirt bike and I can handle it. I am about 6'2" tall and am a pretty big guy, although not the biggest.

The last thing that I would like to say is that I in no way feel that I am invincible and I am not an idiot. If I get a Harley I'll have respect for it and while riding it while others are on the road. And, I am really scared to ride a bike on the road (so if any of you can give me reasons not to be then that'd be great).

So, for a first bike, what do you suggest? I know that I like the stripped down models rather than a bike with all those sattlebags and stuff like that. Please if possible include pictures on what you are suggesting.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 AM
joel85
Road Captain
Default RE: Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?

I bought a Sportster to learn on with basically no riding experience. I haven't had any problems. Can't go wrong there.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer

I started riding dirt bikes when I was three, I'll be 18 soon and I've been riding my 1985 FXWG for about 4 years. I'm about 5' 6" - 5' 7" and I have no problem riding. How long have you been riding motorcycles?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 AM
getpower
Intermediate

Ive been riding dirt bikes since I was 12. Not that long, but I can definitely hang.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Two things I'd suggest; A) Before you even THINK about buying a bike, get yourself on to a MSF course. If the idea of riding on the street scares you, they can teach you the skills to help you gain confidence, and survive. Street riding and dirt riding are two totally different animals. B) AFTER you have successfully completed a MSF course, buy a bike trader, and pick up an inexpensive, used bike. Most likely metric. No bigger than 750ccs...500 even better. Ride it for a year or two until you've perfected your skills. When you're ready to move up, THEN make your move to Harley. If you absolutely insist on buying a Harley as your first bike (and I'm not saying anything is wrong with it...just not necessarily the best starter bike...), go for a 883 Sportster. If you want more info on Harley models, hit the HD website; http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
You should be able to get all the info on all the different models available. May also give you a bit ofa wakeup call. Unless your folks are footing the bill, or you have a heckuva a lot more dough-rey-me than I did when I was 17, you won't be buying a Harley right off. No shame in starting off on a smaller, used, metric machine. I'd bet the majority of folks on here did.
Good luck with it.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info from kato1964. You may find that even with the savings on gas, street riding isn't your cup of tea. If you decide to hit the streets, take it easy. Start with some short rides to build your confidence and skillsand build on that. Riding in traffic can be a little nerve racking but if you've completed the MSF course and have gained a little seat time you will begin to see the hazards and take the CORRECT actions before it's too late.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I smell a troll......

Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you really want a motorcycle take a begginers course, see how you feel after that and then buy your motorcycle. If you're comfortable riding a dirtbike then consider getting a dualpurpose bike. You can go on road and off and it will have the same feel as a dirtbike. Most can handle freeway speeds but will keep you from getting too fast too soon. They are inexpensive and if you decide riding isn't for you, you're not gonna lose a lot when you resell.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Dareius
Cruiser

I want to share with you my experience.
Last year I bought a wonderful 883R, but after only 6 months I decided to seel it.
The bike was great, but it looked too "quiet" for me.

You are not new to bikes, so I suggest you to buy at least a 1200. Personally I would buy a Nightster, if you can spend money go straight for a Fat Bob.

I would discard an 883 just because after a few weeks you will learn all the "tips and tricks" on how to riding your bike.

So go straight, in my opinion, for one of these bikes. You will have no regrets.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Dareius. I've read alot of posts here in this forum from people who had 883s and wished they had bought 1200s. I have not seen one post from anybody who owned a 1200 and wished they had bought an 883 instead.

I can go just as slow and easy on my 1200 as anyone here can go on the 883. It's all in the right wrist. I have seen many people buy "starter bikes" and after just a month or so wish they had bought the real thing. (I used to sell metrics) !!!

Quick Reply: Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?