General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
CMC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?

ORIGINAL: Geoff

As suggested above, complete the MSF course. Then I'd suggest a 1200 Sportster.
I would agree with that, but add get a used one. Then, if you decide you want "more" bike you won't take as big of a hit when you trade up. My 1200 is my first bike. At first, I was scared it was going to be too much, but like Whaap says, it's all in the right wrist and it goes slowly just fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
njdiver
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: kato1964

Two things I'd suggest; A) Before you even THINK about buying a bike, get yourself on to a MSF course. If the idea of riding on the street scares you, they can teach you the skills to help you gain confidence, and survive. Street riding and dirt riding are two totally different animals. B) AFTER you have successfully completed a MSF course, buy a bike trader, and pick up an inexpensive, used bike. Most likely metric. No bigger than 750ccs...500 even better. Ride it for a year or two until you've perfected your skills. When you're ready to move up, THEN make your move to Harley. If you absolutely insist on buying a Harley as your first bike (and I'm not saying anything is wrong with it...just not necessarily the best starter bike...), go for a 883 Sportster. If you want more info on Harley models, hit the HD website; http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
You should be able to get all the info on all the different models available. May also give you a bit ofa wakeup call. Unless your folks are footing the bill, or you have a heckuva a lot more dough-rey-me than I did when I was 17, you won't be buying a Harley right off. No shame in starting off on a smaller, used, metric machine. I'd bet the majority of folks on here did.
Good luck with it.
Excellent advise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Old Bones

Go to Sucker Punch Sallys and go crazy.
Yep, +2, they make a "Dandy" 113" knuck, 2 carbs, cable foot clutch, jockey shift, with no front brake. A "handfull", but hey, go "BIG" or stay home.
Ok, back on "course".
With your riding experience, I say skip the medium sized(500 or less)metric to "practice" on. You'll outgrow it in less than a month. Likewise, with your "lack" of road experience, Not sure I'd dump a pocket full of $$$ for a decent FX series. I picked up a nice 750 Honda for my son last year for $500, and put $300 in it to get it "nice". Gives him a chance to learn on a decent sized bike, not a boatload of $$ if he biffs it, and teaches him to watch that "right" hand. He's doing "wonderful". He always wanted a "crotch". Well, he took one look at this 78 FLH I am redoing in the grudge, "Gee, I'd ride that" And I'll have 'round 6500-7500 in it when done, and it will run alongside an EVO or TC all day long. And there are some VERY niceFXST's and FXR's out there, for that amount, or less. (You don't come across to me as being a "bagger" kinda guy ) There are also some VERY nice Sporties available, but like whaap said, go to a 1200, you'll out grow the 883, especially with your stature/size. Plus they are really nimble, and fun to ride, but IMFUO, not quite as vesatile as the FX or softail series.
But, the best recommendation: Like most have said, take the MSF/MRF rider course. I took it with Momma 2 yrs ago, and this yr is #42 for me. GREAT course, no doubt about it. You will "feel" much better heading into traffic with the skills they'll teach you.
WELCOME to the FORUM. And looking forward to you joining the "HD Family"
Ride FREE Ride Safe Ride ON!!!!
I'm GUMBYDammit

Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: getpower

First off, I know nothing about Harleys. Only that if I was to get a motorcycle for the street to ride to work and stuff that this is what I'd want. But I dont know the models.

However, heres the rest of my background: I am currently 17, and will be graduating in May and right now, my mentality is that a motorcycle will save a lot of gas. I am not new to motorcycles. I ride a 2002 KTM 400EXC dirt bike and I can handle it. I am about 6'2" tall and am a pretty big guy, although not the biggest.

The last thing that I would like to say is that I in no way feel that I am invincible and I am not an idiot. If I get a Harley I'll have respect for it and while riding it while others are on the road. And, I am really scared to ride a bike on the road (so if any of you can give me reasons not to be then that'd be great).

So, for a first bike, what do you suggest? I know that I like the stripped down models rather than a bike with all those sattlebags and stuff like that. Please if possible include pictures on what you are suggesting.

Thanks in advance guys.
As a model, I'd say a Superglide Custom. It's been my first bike ever, I'm 6'6" by 210#, and is a great bike. i would suggest middle controls with highway pegs, which give you the best of both worlds.

Then a word of advice.
If you are scared to ride on the road, and I mean, REALLY scared, then DON'T RIDE. Being scared is the best way to get into an accident. Really. fear will leave you rigid, with tunnel vision, uncapable of getting a full bubble of perception essential to your safety, and with slowed down reflexes due to muscle tension.

If you are too scared, don't ride.

On the other hand: if you are not scared at all to ride, if getting on the bike doesn't give you any worry whatsoever, and riding doesn't scare you in the least, then DON'T RIDE.
Bikes are scary things. Riding in the traffic, with nothing but a thin leather layer between you and tons of high-velocity metal around you like a meat grinder waiting to happen, is a scary thing, and deserves respect.

If you are not scared at all, better for you to get down that bike as soon as possible, and reconsider.

You have to find equilibrium between senseless terror and senseless recklessness that is serene riding while dealing with the risk with due care.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bikes are like boats--they are a real minus if you don't use them. If you want a "cool" bike with a cute seat that is too uncomfortable to ride for more than 30 minutes, you probably won't ride very much. If you want a "big Harley" just to impress your friends, you probably won't ride very much. My 883 passes more Harleys on the road than the other way around. A few hundred miles a day riding 2-up is a relaxing ride. So, get the bike that you want to ride.

I was at a meeting the other day with a large group that probably included a hundred riders. The weather was as close to perfect as God could arrange. My 883 was the only bike in the lot.

Enjoy and hang on to your paranoia--it is the only thing keeping you safe. Or, as a biker buddy said the other day, " I can just look in their eyes and tell if they will be asafe rider."

Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Oh, and if you decide to go for it, test ride the bike if at all possible.
if not, seat on it with a leg on the controls for at least 10 minutes before deeming it fit for you, and compare it with other bikes in the dealership.
I started out for a Sportster, but it just wasn't my bike. If a bike feels like your bike, go for it. Don't let "fashion" stop you.
Getting on your bike's seat must be like getting home, or anyway in a place you REALLY like to be.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
drdave
Cruiser

take a riders edge course - the harley dealership version of the motorcycle safety courses - if you have a dealership that has them near you. not only do you ride for two days but they prepare you for the written test if you need to get a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license - plus you don't have to take the driving test if you have the card saying you completed the course - plus the insurance usually gets a discount. at our dealership, they let you sit on all their bikes so you can get a feel of the different models, and they helped a lot during the course helping you find a bike style that suited you (plus they hoped they would get to sell you one). after the course, rent a couple of the different models for a couple of hours if you feel comfortable enough to ride one at that time.

as far as buying a bike, get a good used one - there are a lot of them, they are not nearly as expensive, and if you find you want to go up to a larger model, etc - you won't take much of a loss when you sell (not nearly as much as you would on a new bike). personally i would not buy from a dealer - too many good bikes out there from individuals - bike trader, newspaper, etc.

model suggestions: my wife started with a sportster due to their light weight and maneuverability. they are excellent bikes to run around town on, very easy to maneuver, agile, quick. she eventually (18 mo. later)traded up to a lowrider (fxdl) for a little more comfort. when you go up to the dyna or softail models, you are increasing the weight by about 200 pounds so they will seem much heavier (until you get over 10mph) at slow speeds, turning, backing, etc.- but that is just another adjustment to make. the sportsters are pretty well max'd out if you are going to do a lot of highway riding (longer rides at 65-70 mph plus) and are not as comfortable with long rides for most people. but the price goes up considerably when you jump from the sportster series up to the dynas or softails. if you really like motorcycles and street riding, you will eventually move on from the sportsters, so you may want to look at the dyna or softail models to start with if you can afford a good used one. if you are not sure if you'll ride that much, perhaps start with the sportsters - lot cheaper investment.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Lots of good info here.I bought my first Harley at 18,1975,I would get a used big twin from a good dealer or private party if you have someone experianced to go with you.The off shore bikes are alright but are alot harder to work on.You will be alot happier with a Harley.Do take a riders course,I didn't but things are different now days.Staying alive is job ONE.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Life's to short to be scared. This is the best time ever to be buying a bike. 10K will get you a super nice bike right now.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

Hmm...If you are going to buy a Harley for your first bike and power is VERY important to you....Then get a 1200 Sporty...Preferably the tall one so your legs arent as cramped.

The 1200 shouldnt get you in much trouble as you have the BASICS of motorcycle operation down(assuming you dont get tossed of the KTM all th time, without a cool jump to cause it)

People start on 600cc sportbikes allt he time and live...and those are way faster than a little Sporty 1200

Finally...I second the motion to get a dirt cheap beater bike to make sure road riding isd for you BEFORE you invest in an expensive bike.

Quick Reply: Here's my scenario, what do you guys suggest?