General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston TX Highways

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Houston TX Highways

I'd also suggest, if you have the time, ride Northwest of SA to Leakey and ride the twisted sisters... FM 335, 336 & 337. Leakey isn't much further out of SA than Luckenbach is - just Northwest instead of North.

whatever y'all decide - enjoy TEXAS!

and WELCOME!!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I live in San Antonio and happen to think Houston drivers are better than San Antonio drivers. They are faster but more knowledgeable and more courteous about letting other drivers enter or merge into traffic.

From SA, I would just take I-10 East past Katy to Highway 6 (Addicks-Howell Rd) and take Hwy 6 south to Mo City.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
HarleyGal1200C
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

I live in San Antonio and happen to think Houston drivers are better than San Antonio drivers. They are faster but more knowledgeable and more courteous about letting other drivers enter or merge into traffic.

From SA, I would just take I-10 East past Katy to Highway 6 (Addicks-Howell Rd) and take Hwy 6 south to Mo City.
Thanks, getting alot of different opinions. Looks like no matter where we go there is going to be something or someone we have to watch out for (but that goes without saying when riding a bike). But thats okay I just want to ride my bike, and California drivers I think are the worst. And I have had some really rude drivers here in Nevada, I hate the ones who want to ride my tail. But I guess they are everywhere.

But you all really have made me feel better about riding there, and I amforever grateful.

I hope to meet some of you at the ROT.

Thanks again

[IMG]local://upfiles/51223/7DA923D8982A4943B450B52365B82F9F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
spike95
Road Master

I live right off Beltway 8 and I-10W in Houston. For those of you familiar with it, you know the traffic is horrible here, especially with the construction. I am in it all the time. I have 24,000 miles on my bike and 90% or more of them are time riding in town. One of the biggest things to look out for (and my biggest 'peeve) is that about 70% of the drivers don't ever use their turn signals, especially at the most critical times when it'd be really great if you knew what kind of crazy **** they are about to pull. I just honk every time they cut me off that way now. I will go out of my way to let someone in that is actually using a signal. So, if you are one of these people, clean up your act! It's ridiculous. How lazy do you have to be to not do such a simple thing for everyone's safety? I know the cell phone is really driving the vehicle, but your hands still work.[:@] Drive like a bat outta hell, but just let me know what you're gonna do next!

Sorry... My rant is over. I hope you enjoy what you see of Houston, and I do suggest taking either the 90 to 36 route, or at least cutting down Grand Pkwy (99) rather than entering the main part of town.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
bbq guy
Stage IV

Hwy 90 is a nice ride but between Eagle Lake & Rosenberg the 18 Wheelers hauling gravel during the week show mercy to no one.They are VERY dangerous.Tailgating as close as 5 feet and rocks flying..Have seen cars run off the road by passing trucks.I would avoid this stretch if possible.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spent the last 5 years living in downtown Chicago. I can't believe anyone could compare Chicago traffic to Houston. Chicago is a whole other order of magnitude of 'Bad' on every level. Gimme Houston any day-it's a walk in the park.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the new 40 lane i-10 to katy open for traffic?
[sm=headbang.gif] i don't think that will ever happen. A buddy and I were talking today at work, anditis possible foran engineer to spend his whole working career at DOT working on the Katy freeway

Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
murph3204
Road Master

that's what they used to say about 45 south.
[quote]i don't think that will ever happen. A buddy and I were talking today at work, and it is possible for an engineer to spend his whole working career at DOT working on the Katy freeway/quote]

Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live south of Houston and ride there often. Rush hour traffic is rush hour traffic--don't do it. People in Houston drive just as bad as the people in San Antonio and Austin. They all suck. Just be careful and enjoy the trip. I don't know if you have been to the ROT rally before but Austin likes bikers but people still don't see us in Austin when they are driving their cars and trucks. The roads in Austin are not good. The roads in Houston and San Antonio are bad too. HELL---I think you should fly and take a cab its safer. But now the Airports suck---screeners. Enjoy ROT ---we will be there.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: HarleyGal1200C

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

Thanks, getting alot of different opinions. Looks like no matter where we go there is going to be something or someone we have to watch out for (but that goes without saying when riding a bike). But thats okay I just want to ride my bike, and California drivers I think are the worst. And I have had some really rude drivers here in Nevada, I hate the ones who want to ride my tail. But I guess they are everywhere.

But you all really have made me feel better about riding there, and I amforever grateful.

I hope to meet some of you at the ROT.

Thanks again

[IMG]local://upfiles/51223/7DA923D8982A4943B450B52365B82F9F.jpg[/IMG]
Lots of suggestions have been given and all will work. I live in Sugar Land and ride all these roads routinely. Just my view on some of the suggestions:

Hwy 36 to 90A: This will bring you right into Rosenburg and once you turn onto 90A you will have maybe 20 lights to go through before getting past Richmand and Rosenburg. They aren't timed well so if there is any traffic you will catch more than half of them.

Hwy 359 (at Brookshire) to 90A: This is a nice ride with a few curves and normally little traffic. You will need to know how to make the jog over on FM 1093 at Fulshear to stay on 359. This does bring you out to 90A just east of Richmond so all that traffic and lights is avoided.

Hwy 99 (Grand Parkway) to 90A: Exit is usually not well marked off of I-10 (better now I think), but it is the first exit after you pass Katy Mills Mall on your right. This is the fastest route and little to moderate traffic depending on the time of day. 99 is a semi-freeway for about 1/3 of the way and then 4 lane road. Maybe 3 lights and 2 stop signs total, never counted them. Don't pick up hitchhikers from the prison!

Hwy 6 to 90A: There are more lights and more traffic than you can shake a stick at on Hwy 6 between I-10 and 90A. Be prepared for some burning thighs if there is traffic, and there usually is. Hwy 6 is just a dangerous roadin areas along this route. Undivided road with 6 to 8 lanes and center turn lane, cages going in every direction. Construction at Hwy 6 and I-10 also.

Beltway 8 to 90A: This is a good way if you come when there is no traffic at all. There is heavy constuction at I-10 and 8 with daytime closures to one of the roads. I-10 becomes a raceway the closer into town you get, so if cars driving 80+mph bother you, stay away.

As you notice all these routes are ways to drop down to 90A, and all will get you there. You can ride 90A all the way from Sequin is you wanted to, or drop down at Schlumberg (Hwy 77)to Halletsville and come in through Eagle Lake. That is not a bad ride, but as mentioned before during the week you have allot of semis hauling gravel between Eagle Lake and Rosenburg. otherwise its 70mph with the cruise set.

Have a safe trip!

90A has had construction in Sugar Land, but that is almost complete now. You are riding on new road without the pavement changes now. Watch out for the red light cameras in Sugar Land! The construction on 90A in Missouri City is terrible, with the worst being at 90A and FM1092. Watch where you are going with ever-changing intersection detours and uneven lanes.

Quick Reply: Houston TX Highways