General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a van yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:18 PM
Ricochet2
|
Novice
Default Hit a van yesterday!

I had rode the sporty about 88 mls got home and decided to ride the shady(shadow)since it had not been started since Oct. Went about 25 mls and was on my way home when going by the local Walmart the speed linit is 50 mph with a turn lane in the center. Well I see a van who is going to make a left turn out of the parking lot,it stops and then rolls a little forward and stops again.I was doing 45-50 mph and watching this van, and felt that the second stop was becauseI was spotted. This was not the case! They pull out to turn and it was to late for me to avoid the van with less than a couple of seconds, I swerved to the turn lane, but the van would have to cross it to make the turn, I also braked and locked the back wheel to slow the unavoidable impact as much as possible right before we hit, all at the same time the van saw me and stopped, I let off the rear brake and the bike straighten up and the rear passinger foot peg hit the front bumper of the van at the license plate taking that off the van, and kicking the bike back to my left. (originally I was braking and sliding right.) I was able to getcontrol of the bike and stop.It tore off my rear foot peg and thats all it did.I was so shaken. It turn out to be a young kid 18-20 years. He was very shook up also, he says he didn't see me. I know he did not set out to kill or maim someone, but I gave him a scolding telling him to watch out for others and especialy bikers in the future. We exchanged info. and I left for home grateful I was on my bike and not taking a helicptor ride or worse.

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:27 PM
the metal
Banned
Default RE: Hit a van yesterday!

dang close call eh

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:32 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Glad you're ok. You controlled your bike great also.

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:39 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm glad to hear that you're ok. Hopefully the kid driving the van has learned a valuable lesson to be more aware when he is driving. There is a lesson for you in this as well (and the rest of us) because you made an error which was assuming that you were seen by the other guy which ended up not being the case.

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:39 PM
njdiver
Road Captain

Glad you're OK,you did a great job controling the bike & minimizing your damage!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:42 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Nicely done avoiding a more serious impact. Lessons learned by both parties I'm sure. Now, rinse out your shorts and get back out there! LOL!

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:44 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

You're lucky you didn't clip the aerial with your helmet.

A friend of mine got van-aerial disease that way.

Glad you're ok dude.

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:45 PM
GreeneyedT
Advanced

Just reading about the close call made my butt pucker. I'm glad that everything worked out safely for you. Good job.

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:51 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you're okay. I've had to learn in Houston to never assume that someone sees you even when their driving seems like they do. Looks like things could have gotten quite messy in a hurry.

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:59 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

I was not as lucky, am finally walking after 5 months. It was sort of lucky the girl I hit didn't stop, I almost missed the rear of her car, but would have Tboned her if she had seen me at the last minute and hit her brakes. Of course "I didn't see you".

Quick Reply: Hit a van yesterday!