General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a van yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 02:30 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Default RE: Hit a van yesterday!

WOW !!!!CLOSE !!!!!! I say..

Old 03-03-2008 | 02:45 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

WHEEEEW!! Glad you are ok. Sitting a little taller in the saddle, were ya? Knockon wood, I run with one drum brake, so EVERY vehicle is a "pull out", automatically. I cannot panic stop, period, even if I wanted or needed to. This is my 4th chop with one brake since 1975. Again, knock on wood, never had a close bad one. But I am a putzerANY where there is ANY traffic what so ever. #1 rule for me - ALWAYS an out, period, or I am going slow enough to stop with what I got. Glad it was just your foot peg. Easy fix. You, not so easy of a fix. And the bike doesn't feel pain.

Old 03-03-2008 | 03:34 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"

Great googlimooglies! Glad you got through it with minor damage! Bondo will work on the bike but it ain't been too successful on humans!

Here in La. I learned a long time ago that people coming in from a side road will look you right in the eye, wait 'til you get close & pull out. If I see one waiting to get out, I'm already kicking down gears in anticipation.

Good to hear you only lost a peg!

Old 03-03-2008 | 04:23 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

Takes forever to get that bad tasting round thing out of your throat, doesn't it? Glad you're OK.

Old 03-03-2008 | 04:25 PM
mark10
Road Master

man - glad you were not hurt -

i remember my dad telling to just consider that every puddle has a pot hole under it, every paper bag is full of nails, every car in front of you is going to cut you off, every car next to you is going to come into your lane, every car behind you is going to hit you,every oncoming car is going to jump into your lane at the last minute and behind every bush, tree or building is a car waiting to jump out in front of youand that whenever any of this is going to happen you will have a blow out and your breaks will malfunction. other than that - he said - you should be very careful. and plan ahead!

i drive with that in mind - not scared - just prepared.

thanks for reminding me of this and reinforcing it.

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:06 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

[sm=yikesomg.gif]holy crap ! I tell ya there getting worse all the time . glad your ok.

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:32 PM
x2lee
Banned

Lucky...
ORIGINAL: Ricochet2

I had rode the sporty about 88 mls got home and decided to ride the shady(shadow)since it had not been started since Oct. Went about 25 mls and was on my way home when going by the local Walmart the speed linit is 50 mph with a turn lane in the center. Well I see a van who is going to make a left turn out of the parking lot,it stops and then rolls a little forward and stops again.I was doing 45-50 mph and watching this van, and felt that the second stop was becauseI was spotted. This was not the case! They pull out to turn and it was to late for me to avoid the van with less than a couple of seconds, I swerved to the turn lane, but the van would have to cross it to make the turn, I also braked and locked the back wheel to slow the unavoidable impact as much as possible right before we hit, all at the same time the van saw me and stopped, I let off the rear brake and the bike straighten up and the rear passinger foot peg hit the front bumper of the van at the license plate taking that off the van, and kicking the bike back to my left. (originally I was braking and sliding right.) I was able to getcontrol of the bike and stop.It tore off my rear foot peg and thats all it did.I was so shaken. It turn out to be a young kid 18-20 years. He was very shook up also, he says he didn't see me. I know he did not set out to kill or maim someone, but I gave him a scolding telling him to watch out for others and especialy bikers in the future. We exchanged info. and I left for home grateful I was on my bike and not taking a helicptor ride or worse.

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:45 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

I'd pick another sign-on name ....

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:21 PM
jagator
Road Master

Crap!!! Glade you are okay.

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:34 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

Glad to hear that you are o.k. Hopefully that kid will stop and think everytime he gets to an intersection now that he has the visual of almost taking another human life stained in his brain.

Quick Reply: Hit a van yesterday!