General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRB Gold vs. Z Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LRB Gold vs. Z Plus?

I posted this in the brakes section but nobody is over there and of course the search is down.

Are the Gold plus pads dustless like the Z plus pads? I ride my bike pretty hard sometimes and I definitely feel like I'm lacking in the brake department. I've already got a set of Z plus to install because everyone else said they got those. I didn't even consider the golds before now. The rear is too easy to lock up and the fronts just don't seem to give me everything they could. That being said, I think I'll probably leave theZ plus in the rear even if I go gold up front.I think abetter set of tires will help a lot, too. And floaters... just for good measure. I mean as long as thewheels are off, I might as well. I would think all of those things togethershould make a rather noticeable difference, won't they?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,240 Likes on 1,851 Posts
Default RE: LRB Gold vs. Z Plus?

The Gold Plus compound is our latest advancement in high performance friction materials. This racing formula offers extreme stopping power in both wet and dry conditions. Dust and rotor wear are eliminated. This proprietary blend of organics and trace iron requires no break-in and can see over 18,000 miles.

Our Z Plus compound is a softened version of the Gold Plus compound. It is excellent for general purpose riding and offers a high coefficient of friction. This is the most rotor friendly pad in the industry. It produces no dust, and no noise. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

Give the guys over at Lyndall Racing a phone call, they are friendly and know their products very well. The Lyndall Z-Plus brake pads have been the common break pads that everyonehas used in the pastbecause they require no break in and the life of the brake pad is pretty good. The Lyndall Z-Plus pads is what I run on all of my bikes. Until recently, the Gold-Plus pads required a break-in and scratched up the rotors pretty good too and only gave about 8000 miles for the life of the pad. The NEW Version Gold-Plus pads gived the same life as the Z Plus pads and requires no break in. I don't know if they still mess up your rotors. I have used the Z-Plus pads in all types of weather and have had nothing but good experiences, but there must be some benefit to using the Gold Plus pads. Again, give Lyndall Racing a call and get the information that you are looking for from the source.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:01 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: spike95

I posted this in the brakes section but nobody is over there and of course the search is down.

Are the Gold plus pads dustless like the Z plus pads? I ride my bike pretty hard sometimes and I definitely feel like I'm lacking in the brake department. I've already got a set of Z plus to install because everyone else said they got those. I didn't even consider the golds before now. The rear is too easy to lock up and the fronts just don't seem to give me everything they could. That being said, I think I'll probably leave theZ plus in the rear even if I go gold up front.I think abetter set of tires will help a lot, too. And floaters... just for good measure. I mean as long as thewheels are off, I might as well. I would think all of those things togethershould make a rather noticeable difference, won't they?
I think switching to a twin set-up in front would be noticeable. The most costly part would be the new fork slider with the caliper mounts on it. I have twin disk fronts on both of my bikes, and while they both stop very well for what type of bikes they are, the new Brembo set up on the 08's does give MUCH better overall performance and feel in comparison to the older <07 design.