Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 AM
turczytj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward controls

The bikes I had in the past always had me seated pretty much upright or forward leaning. The Harley I am getting has forward controls. Sitting on the bike at the dealer felt a little strange. A few questions:

1. how long does it take to get used to the feeling?
2. does forward controls make the bike easier or harder to handle?
3. am I going to experience lower back pain on longer trips?
4. anything else I need to be aware of?

Finally, I am learning a lot about HD bikes for reading these forums. Everybody is real cool and civil toward one another. I can't wait until I get my fist Harley in a couple of months...

thx,
todd

Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Forward controls

Todd - Welcome to the forums...I just had forward controls installed on my bike yesterday. It did feel odd for about the first 2 minutes, but I quickly got used to it. And I wish I had done it a long time ago, just didn't have the money. But now, I noticed after about 30 minutes riding, my back was killing me. It completely changed my seating position. Now all the pressure is on my tailbone, butt and legs. So, I ordered a Corbin Hollywood seat (i am still riding the stock seat now), which I was gonna get anyways. I hope it helps the pain. I didn't find the forward controls made it any harder or easier to handle. It was about the same for me. When do you pick up your bike?? Enjoy man!
Angela

Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love forward controls and have them on my 1200 C. They don't invite agressive riding but to me they do invite laid back cruising which is what I'm into anyhow.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 PM
landest
Road Warrior

1. how long does it take to get used to the feeling?

A: Spend a good day with it on the road and you will be fine. Will feel a little strange at first.

2. does forward controls make the bike easier or harder to handle?

A: No difference in handling mechanically.. The change will be all YOU.. aka how you sit on the bike is different therefore will feel funny.. It's just getting use to it.

3. am I going to experience lower back pain on longer trips?

A: Will put more weight on you tail bone.. A good seat will make all the diff..

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

A: You may or may not like your handlebars once you get use to the new seating position.

My .02

Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I rarely have a choice. 6'6". An Ultra, stock, can't do. Needed new handlebars as the stock ones hit my knees. Then it is like sitting in a "cubicle", cramped. SUX!!!! The chop has 3" over fwds, plus 3/4" out, and frame is stretched a bit. If you are under 6'2", you'd be hard pressed to do both pedals and handlebars at the same time.
78 FLH, 2 1/2" fwd and 1" out and I look like I'm sitting on a stock bike. That said, it does make it difficult to take the "heat" off my tailbone on the chop, but that is how I like to ride, laid back. (like whaap) I have not found that it interferes with manueverability, control, or rideability. And can't remember riding any other way. In fact, I like to "hang" my feet over the fwds by my ankles, to get even more stretched out. (If you look at the pic, I replaced the round pegs with kicker pedals, to support my ankles and not cut off the blood supply) Again, this puts more "heat" on the rear end. So, guess it all boils down to what you like, what you are willing to "put up" with, and like some of us "dummmies", what you can endure. But I wouldn't ride long B4 I put them on. But, that's JMFUO Gumby
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/PICT0951.jpg

Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM
marcss
Road Captain

Got my 06 wideglide two years ago and I love the forward controls. I'm 6'1" and love not having my knees in a bent position for very long. The stock seat was shaved by the previous short owner so I got a touring seat from C&C and that made a big difference. I am more comfortable on a long ride than in my car... seriously. Agressive riding not a problem, I do tend to lean forward a little more in the twistys. With my mini-apes I can lean back into my sissy bar bag or into my passenge and it is great on a long ride, no butt soreness with that seat and being able to lean back is great for the lower back.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I've ridden my 1200C 350 miles in a day without having any particular problems with my back or tail bone (though I'll admit I switched to a Mustang seat early on). As for handling I feel like my control is pretty good with the forward controls. I'm not riding over consistently bumpy terrain or on trails, so it's not like I need to stand on the pegs.