General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friday night mechanical frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008 | 07:24 AM
NHHog
|
Tourer
Default Friday night mechanical frustration

So I am in the shed last night working on the bike and the wife calls me in for a phone call. Good thing she did as I was having a hell of a time getting a piece to line up the way it did prior to me removing it and was ready to get out the drill or the torch.
It is my son's buddy. Hehas had my sons car since mid January doing an inspection and trying to find a drain on the battery that would cause a new battery to go dead in a day or two if it wasn't started. He tells me the car is ready. I ask how much and what was wrong he says 30 bucks and it was wa ire from the $3000 sound system. Sounds logical to me. I tell him we will be up in a bit to get it. He says thats ok I'll drop it off as he is heading out this way. I ask if he remembers how to get here and he says 'I've been there enough Mr. C". Ask him if he heard from my son Jay. He says yeah a few days ago when he figured out what was wrong he called him. Tell him I just spoke to him Wednesday and he was heading to OKC for 6 weeks then coming home before heading to Japan for 2 years. We small talk and I tell him when Jay comes home in about 6 weeks him and his wife will have to come out for dinner and we hang up. I tell my wife about the car and tell her to get a check ready and throw in an other 20 bucks and I'll give him a case of beer as well. Then I say what great friends my son has. We go watch TV so I can see the lights pull in when he gets here. About 1/2 hr goes by and I see the car pull in. I hop up gravb a coat andthe check and head to the door. I open the interior door to the breezeway as the exterior door opens. In strolls my Airman First Class son!!!!!!!! To say I was shocked is an understatement. There he is all 6'4 with a big **** eating grin. I will get back to the bike later today or maybe next week. There are a few things more important than the bike in life. Not much but a few!

He is home until the 19th of March then he heads from here to Okinawa for 6 months than back to OKC for 6 weeks(hopefully home for a bit)then back to Japan for 18 more months. He had his friends father pick him up in Boston at the airport and his friend make the fake call. Today when the snow stops he is showing up at the hospital where his mother works in his uniform with some flowers to surprise her.

Old 03-01-2008 | 07:37 AM
Bottomend
Banned
Default RE: Friday night mechanical frustration

Sounds like you raised him right! A big thanks and a HELL YEA to those in uniform!!!

Old 03-01-2008 | 07:50 AM
buttman
Road Master

I think I'd have to whup his butt for the shock he gave me........after I got through hugging him to death, of course!

Old 03-01-2008 | 08:01 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Hard to get much better than that, "Dad" Have a "SOOOOOOOOPER" weekend. It's startin' out to be a "jim dandy".
What motorcycle? What part?

Old 03-01-2008 | 08:09 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

That's awonderful surprise & a great setup from the boys. Enjoy the time together!

Old 03-01-2008 | 08:26 AM
NHHog
|
Tourer

Told him payback is a bi..!! I might have to showup in Japan as a Gisha girl with a bald head and facial hair!!![:-] Actually he got here around 8:30 after a trip to Wally World before they closed for an x box 360 he wants to take to Japan and a few hours of games at 4AM he says.. Lets go see what we can do about that part. Out to the shed with a few beers and 1/2 hr later bike was back together. His only regret was that we couldn't fire it up!!! Hopefully over the next 3 weeks we will have a day he can take it for a spin..Good thing it was just a peg mount and belt guard!! He hit the hay at 5AM as did I. I can't sleep and get a knot in the throat everytime I realize he is home.

Getting a foot of snow and this is the first storm all season that the wife won't be hearing me complaining about it!!! Funny how things get put back in perspective once in a while!

Old 03-01-2008 | 08:56 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm glad he is home for awhile. Enjoy the time with him and thank him for his service.

Jim

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:41 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Very Very Very cool of them....
[sm=goodidea.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:54 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

Great story, enjoy your time with him.

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:59 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member

What a great surprise.
Thanks to him for serving our country and to you for suppporting him.
MikeM

Quick Reply: Friday night mechanical frustration