General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOES ANYONE ELSE HIDE THE TRUE COST OF HD STUFF FROM THEIR SPOUSE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DOES ANYONE ELSE HIDE THE TRUE COST OF HD STUFF FROM THEIR SPOUSE?

I'm not judging anyone, but I agree that morals and ethics are not situational.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Scrapin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my trick; I usually wait for the sales if I can. I don't lie about what I paid but I do cheat a little and inflate the regular price a bit. Like - gee honey, it wa regularily 200 bucks butI got it for 80. Be sure to remove the price tag though or she maight catch on one day!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
spike95
Road Master

I'm not married, but in a serious relationship. We live together, but have somewhat seperate finances. I tell her about most of the stuff I get and the stuff I don't tell is not purposefully omitted, just forgotten. I am trying to get as much done with my toysbefore ever getting married though! Everyone always tells me things change after you get married. I wouldn't hide it then, but may not have theability to spend so freely if a mortgage and children are involved.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 AM
pete913
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion is that if you run your marriage on the basis of 'her' vs 'my' money, you have much bigger problems than the cost of HD parts.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM
HDRider#1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No

Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 PM
HD4DP
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: x2lee

I dont do that, I think its a chickenshit way to be... Is it really so hard to be a man nowadays??

whats gonna happen? get a spanking?. [sm=GrowUp.gif]

Shes my wife, not my mother.
I tell my mom what I get for the bike.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

I just order it..she pays the bills so she always finds out. I live under the "its easier to get forgiveness than permission" theory.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine came out to the man cave and got me for dinner the other night. I was just slipping the forks out of the trees. Wahtcha doin' she says. Replacing fork seals I responded. What's that? I showed her. She asked how much Harley gets for them, I said less than $20. She laughs and walks away saying I made out good, most things are hundreds of bucks. I didn't show her the chrome lowers they were going into, she didn't seem interested. I didn't lie though, I am replacing the fork seals. Come spring after not really seeing the bike since last fall, she won't even notice the chrome front end.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:40 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JefFLH

Mine came out to the man cave and got me for dinner the other night. I was just slipping the forks out of the trees. Wahtcha doin' she says. Replacing fork seals I responded. What's that? I showed her. She asked how much Harley gets for them, I said less than $20. She laughs and walks away saying I made out good, most things are hundreds of bucks. I didn't show her the chrome lowers they were going into, she didn't seem interested. I didn't lie though, I am replacing the fork seals. Come spring after not really seeing the bike since last fall, she won't even notice the chrome front end.
Well Said, [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM
garydogwood
Cruiser

Do i hide purchases or lie about purchase price of items?
Sometimes, not as much as i used to. her best friends hubby has a harley and we all visit the harley shops somewhat regularly so she has a pretty good idea of what things cost.with the currentbike (heritage) the only thing i didn't tell her about was the power commander and high flow air filter. idon'tadd "just for looks" stuff to the bike. i like performance and comfortrelated upgrades though So far the list of upgrades include after market pipes, power commander, air filter, better / wider passenger seat and backrest, passenger floor boards, and a rider backrest for me. oh yea, and a little windshield bag to put sunglasses and stuff in. neither of us have any clothing with HD on it (except for the free t-shirts when we bought the bike) not that there's anything wrong with that. saw some nice jackets yesterday but dammnnnnn $450 was way out of range.

gw

Quick Reply: DOES ANYONE ELSE HIDE THE TRUE COST OF HD STUFF FROM THEIR SPOUSE?