General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They're BAAAAACK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default They're BAAAAACK!!!

Now, a lot of you probably could care less, so this is NOT for youse guys and gals. But the Half Mile flat track races are coming back to Sturgis this year. YAHOOO!! The City has approved a chunk of change to refurbish and update the track, and the Jack Pine Gypsies, who started Sturgis in '36, are going to do what they have always done, bring us some decent racing. If I am not mistaken, it was the Jack Pine Gypsies who started Laconia Rally, also. If you have NEVER seen flat trackin' in REAL life, think about taking it in. Great to see. For those of you who don't make Sturgis, but are close to Springfield, Ill., try taking in the Springfield Mile on Labor Day weekend. Major league racing at it's finest. Just an FYI for those who N JOY watching sickles race, which is how HD, Indian, and the rest used to promote theirIRON, "Back in the Days".As always, they will still be having the Hill Climbs in Sturgis. That's ALL. GUMBY

Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: They're BAAAAACK!!!

Thanks for the info!

I thought Sturgis was in it's 66th year (took two off for WWII), which puts the rally starting in 1938. Do you have other info? If so, can you point me to it, so I can correct my knowledge?

Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Gump,

I believe the Springfield races are held Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend. the one mile track makes it even more exciting to watch. I use to go to the half mile in Louisville,Ky before we lost that race years ago. Thanks for the Info.

Terry

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the mile, half mile and TT,,, I like to watch speedway,,, ice racing,,, motocross, super cross, motosport, GNCC, trials (world championships near where I live) hill climbs,,,all of it!!!!

I believe your right about the Jack Pine Gypsies,, I have some buckles from some of the Gypsy Tour races two 1955's,, a 1938,, 1950 along with some pins in my belt buckle collection.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1045/B7C68959ECC943D086CC7D035A4F5357.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Thanks for the info!

I thought Sturgis was in it's 66th year (took two off for WWII), which puts the rally starting in 1938. Do you have other info? If so, can you point me to it, so I can correct my knowledge?
Don't have time right now, Mike, but will go back into the archives on the puter, because the "last" living original Sturgis Jack Pine, the wife of one of the originals, just passed away not long ago. So I will for sure check that date, but I believe it was '36, but I am Gumby, you know, clay mind and all that, so it can get "mushy" [X(]at times, buddy.

Oneof the Great Flat Track bike builders of the 40's, 50's 60's and 70's, lives just 30 miles from here. George Helms. Guys used to say when they saw George show up, a lot of guys loaded up. He built the engine in my '59 BSA A-10 sittin' out in the grudge. The man has forgotten more about Btitish Racing bikes than most will ever know. And one of the "nicest" guys I have ever met. He had a track on his farm by Pease, Mn, and last year, a bunch of guys got together, cleaned it up, turned the lights on, and had races out there in tribute to George. He cried at least 8 or 10 times. It was AWESOME.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It was 1938 for the first Sturgis,,, you are correct Mike,,, it was 1936 that the Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club was founded ( 1st MC I guess) I've often wondered if my 38 buckle came from the first Sturgis,,, if only it could talk.

http://www.sturgisbikeweek.com/history/

Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gumby, you entering that ol' pan in the S'fld mile? Bet it can do some serious slidin'.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Springfield is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My riders finished 2nd, 3rd adn 4th at the Mile. NEver won but came close. I love the racing there and have not missed one since I was 10 years old.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gumper,,,, sign me up,,, I'll dig out my steel shoe and dust off the leathers!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Mike, you and John are very correct. '38 first Sturgis. '36 was the beginning of the Jack Pine's. But they weren't the first MC. First was Yonkers MC and then I think Oakland MC, but again, not 100% sure on that.If you look in J&P, they have some neat panoramic pics of the old MC's and racers and dealers.
John - how did you come by the JPG buckles? That is awesome. Have only ever seen them in museums and such. I'm jealous.

ElectaRick - did you flat track at one time, or are you jerkin' chain as usual?

Dammed, I am glad I took the time to post this. Love hearing there are ppl on here who like, enjoy, or who are involved in flat trackin'. No offense folks, but waxes, glasses, etc etc is good, but so is this stuff. This is how the motor co's advertised and sold bikes. Racing and touring the races around the country.
Guess we'll have to put together an HDF barbie the day of the races in Sturgis.

Deja - won't enter it, butMomma and I have done the color presentation for the Nat'l Anthemat, at least 5 tracks in Mn and SoDak. Try riding a hardtail around a dirt track oval after theyhave torn it up with winged outlaw sprint cars and such with a 3x5 or a 4x6 flag whippin behind ya. REAL interesting ride to say the least. "Specially out in SoDak where the wind NEVER stops blowing.

Quick Reply: They're BAAAAACK!!!