General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to california any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: going to california any ideas

Warning!!!!! When you're riding around So Cal you will not see any of that white flaky stuff that is found next to the roads thruout most of the country. That stuff probably helps you to see where the road is compared to the sides of the road, black and white contrast thing going on. Out here in So Cal if you look up into the mountains you'll probably see that white stuff spotting the higher elevations, sometimes not. But, you will notice that the sides of many of our roads and hiways will be covered in bright green stuff this time of year, so much so that you may get confused and think you're in Ireland or something. You may want to seriously consider bringing your jacket with you because when the sun goes down it can get kinda chilly. During the day you'll want to be sure and put plenty of sun screen on your arms when riding in short sleeve shirts. Don't want to go home with arms that are too burnt. Enjoy your ride. Expect 70's during the day and cooling to 50's at night. I think you'll find that the cagers are pretty much the same wherever you ride, they can't see us so ride defensively.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to go the Starbucks on Main Street (North of the pier), have a cup of coffee and enjoy the eye candy. There is a an HD gift shop and plenty of food places to kill some time.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: tbone52

Are ya goin' to California with an achin' in your heart?
Someone told me theres a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair..........

Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are new to SoCal, I'd strongly suggest taking up offers of someone localto ride with. This is a very different place to ride for lots of reasons. It's not enough to be careful. You have to be hyper alert 100% of the time until you get out in the hills, away from most ofthe insanity. Drivers are reallybad and are usually doing several things besides driving. The old saying "assume you're invisible" was coined in SoCal. You'll find some great rides in the Julian area of San Diego east county, and the Hideout is near Lake Henshaw, but they are only open weekends.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The first and onlytime I was in California was in 1983. I got hassled by Moonies atLAX and guys were making out with other guys in S.F. That place wasn't this country boy's cup of tea. I guess I'll never understand them any more than they'll ever understand me.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Xguy

ORIGINAL: AandMAutobody

me and a couple friends are going to los angeles next week and planing on renting motorcycles one day i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or ideas for us why we were out there and if anybody knows how the cops are out there towards motorcyclists
Well I dunno why the other guys are scaring you from LA, but that's all I know, so I'll try to help you since your coming anyway, you can rent your bikes from glandale harley, it's subsidesed under the name of eagle riders, http://www.eaglerider.com/
from there you are 20 min from Hollywood (where I live BTW) , so you can cruise up Los feliz blvd which will lead you to hollywood, ask the guys for direction it's fairely easy, once you've checked out hollywood depends what time it is, I would keep on going on sunset BLvd heading west, it's a nice cruise will take you all the to PCH (pacific coast highway)I would say 45min depending on the speed , make a right turn there, and cruise along the beach all the way to Mailbutill you hit "Kanan" another maybe half an hour, then this will take you up Santa monica mountains in a very nice mountain road, and it will lead you to the world famous "rock store" stop there have a good time with many riders, and if you're lucky you might run into many clebreties such as Jay leno, when done take Kanan down to the 101 freeway heading east to the 134 (glendale) freeway wich will lead you to glendale again to return your bikes. get some direction or GPS it's a nice around the twon ride and you pretty much will cover the most site seing in Los angeles a biker can see.
Have fun
WOW, pretty NICE directions, Xguy. H*ll, even an ol' farm boy from Dakota would stand a chance of pulling those together. NICE job. And you EVEN made it sound doable.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure to ride up to Sacramento so kolni can show you his entire doll collection!