General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to california any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: going to california any ideas

If you go, do not take the Blue Pill.

Unless, of course, you already like the taste of Granola.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Keep in mind that the Rock Store is only open on weekends and holidays. If I were you, I'd skip Hollywood altogether -- waste of time unless seeing druggies, homeless folks and busloads of Japanese tourists is what you came for -- and I'd also skip Glendale Harley, which is a good dealership but a little out of the way. Bartel's Harley (they have a rental arm called Route 66 Riders) is located practically next to LAX in Marina del Rey, and 15 minutes from Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). I'd pick up the bikes there and head for PCH. The ride will take you through Santa Monica and Malibu. Keep going up PCH until you cross the Ventura County Line, when you'll see on your right a great place for lunch or a rest stop, Neptune's Net. You can watch the surfers across the road while you eat.

Continue up PCH (lots of sweepers, beautiful view) until you get to Las Posas Rd. Head east through the onion fields until you get to the 101 Freeway, then head north a few miles to the 33 to Ojai, a pretty town in the mountains. The Deer Lodge restaurant, another well-known biker joint, is located there, on the 33 just north of town. Then you can backtrack a little on the 33 to the 150, which you can take towards Santa Barbara. Takes you around Lake Casitas, another beautiful ride with little traffic. You hit the 101 right at Santa Barbara H-D (which is actually in Carpinteria)--good place to get a T-shirt, if you're so inclined.

Depending on time constraints, you can either head back to return the bikes on the 101 freeway; or explore the area around Santa Barbara; or backtrack the way you came for another perspective on PCH (looks different when going on a different direction).

In any case, you're in for a treat. Have fun, and never expect other drivers to do what's right!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2001 a couple of us blew off a conference in LA and went to eagleriders to rent bikes... We did pretty much what OldBoldPilot outlined and had an awesome day and change... It was a weekday so other than freeway traffic it was pretty light until 'rush hour'... +1 on the drivers... We had a dude out front on a springer and at least half a dozen times he came close to T-bone on cages cutting across the road...

Enjoy!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 PM
michaelvs710
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Paniolo

How long are you guys going to be in town?
We are going from the 3rd to the 9th

Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
michaelvs710
Cruiser

a&mautobody dont forget to pack the chaps, harley shirts and the fingerless gloves. the baron said its ok

Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OldBold's suggestion is a good one. And a day in the San Diego area would be good too. Visit Julian and the Hideout.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Weather is perking up. Wear a helmet and assume all the cagers are dumber than deer. They don't see you or hear you. Drive defensively as if you are invisible. In beach towns don't feather the throttle that pissed cops off.

Have fun and check the Griffith Park Observatory on the AM great view from the hills to the ocean.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

L.A. is NOT California.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I haven't done it on a bike, but we did rent a car and ran PCH from LA to Frisco -awesome. Also, check out Bartel's H-D on Lincoln.

... and yes, the cagers are a scary bunch.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM
rebo77
Cruiser

hey guys thanks for the seguestions we are staying in newport beachca. and will probaley check out the routte 66 rental or orange county harley.
i had an idea of where i wanted to take us and it was very similar to OldBoldPilot seguestionso i think were going to take his advice it sounds like a great ride.
anyone feels like comeing with us pm me a phone # were going on march 8th saturday morning.
thanks for the offer on the bikeclass thing too but we leave to go home to philly on sunday morning.

Quick Reply: going to california any ideas