General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diamondback cable discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Diamondback cable discovery

I made a little discovery yesterday that may help a few people out, well save a few bucks anyway.
Anyway I am in the process of changing out my handlebars, control cables and brake lines. I wanted to get the HD Diamonback lines to replace the ugly black ones the factory puts on so I ordered as set. But when I recieved them I realized that I had made a mistake ordering the stock length lines. I needed shorter ones, about 4 inches shorter.
I was also not very happy with the clutch line as it is half braided and half black plastic/rubber. The black part would be hidden on a normal installation, but it still bugged me that it wasnn't all braided. They cost a bunch for something that's only a half braided.
Anyway I started looking around and on a recomendation form someone here I checked out Magnum Shielding http://www.magnumshielding.comand found that their prices are much better than Harley's for their best Chromlite II cable/line setup. a little morereading of their web site revield that the company was actually located less than 20 miles from my house (no shipping!!).
So I called them up and the nice young lady said they would be happy to make thelines I wanted in the length I needed and I could pick them up at their place. So I ordered a new set.

Nowcomes the fun part.
When I entered the reception area I noticed that they had theEXACT SAME FAKE WOOD GRAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON LINE AND CABLE DISPLAY on their wall that is in EVERY Harley Davidson dealership I have ever been in. So I asked the young lady why they had it on the wall and found out that THEY are the people who supplyHD with all of their accessory catalog lines and cables. There's an interesting tid-bit of info.
So after getting my new cablesI looked them over on the way out to the truck and thought they looked veryfamiliar. I had to wait till I got home to be sure of what I suspected.
When I did get home I compared the Magnum Chromlite II cables to the Diamondbacks and found this.

This is a pic of the upper end of the two clutch cables.

Can you tell which one is which?
Here's acloseup pic, see if that helps any.

BTW they both have the same (EXACTLY THE SAME) piece of clear shrink tubing with the same instruction label (printing and all) on them.
Give up?

Here's another pic of more of them so you can see that there is adifference.

Now you can see that there is a difference. The Magnum line is all braided while the HD line is half braided and half hard plastic with a mesh covering.

OK enough of that. Now we know that the Magnum Chromlite II lines are justDiamondbacks under a different name. Is there any other differences? Yes, the Chromlite lines are a lot less money. Here's a list of the different parts for my bike (07 Softail Custom) and the prices listed on the web sites.

Magnum HD
Clutch cable 32228N $61.95 38808-07$89.95
Throttle/Idle cables 3319 (Throttle) $53.95 56805-05A$129.95
&nbsp

Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Diamondback cable discovery

interesting --thanks.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 AM
indigoblue2001
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great find. I am in the process of changing out my handlebars and need wiring upgrades, using this supplier will save me $$$$$

Thanks!!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice revelation, and I apologize.
I have known that for years, and DUH,"***-you-me-d"[:'(] others knew it also. Sorry guys, but I am REALLY GLAD citoriplus threw this thread up and on here. GREAT job, buddy.
Check out the pics, I even have the Chromite spark plug wires on the chop.They also make the gas and oil line hose on the chop. If you decide to use it, make sure you get the clamps to use with Chromite.In the beginning, being the cheap a$$ I are, thought I'd save a few bucks and go with brand X, what they did was cut thru the "rubber" underneath the sheathing, and I had gas runniing down the engine and my leg almost 100 miles from home. NOT good and not pretty. If you get some, a trick I learned the hard way, use a good, sharp pair of linemens side/diagonal cutters to cut the hose, and ENSURE when you slide the clamp on, that there are no little "hairs" of the braid sticking out. It will push the sheathing back as you slide the clamp on, and it is next to impossible to get it back to its original state. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE CLAMPS.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/PICT0950.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/PICT0951.jpg
RUSSEL also makes stainless braid, but when you hold them side by side, the Chromite IIis much brighter in appearance. Just FYI.

I'm GUMBY Dammit

Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for taking the time to help others. Interesting find. I happened to get my cables from Barnett's I was very pleased and saved a ton of cash. I made up "universal" brake lines from Goodridge, FYI.

Jim

Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

I have known that for years, and DUH,"***-you-me-d"[:'(] others knew it also. Sorry guys,

I'm GUMBY Dammit
Been holding out on us huh!!!! When I cut braided fuel/oil lines I use a 1/16" cut off wheel, you can also hack saw or saws all it as well, put masking/similiar tape around the line, mark the cut line and have at it,,, this is the best way I have found. One thing I have also learned,,, those little wires can stick the hell out of ya too!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
turner8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks again citori
now i know where to go if i just can't handle that half/half diamondback clutch cable (get the bike back tomorrow, i think)
appreciate the info
good luck onyour install

Old 02-29-2008, 03:28 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: John TN
ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister
I have known that for years, and DUH,"***-you-me-d"[:'(] others knew it also. Sorry guys,

I'm GUMBY Dammit
Been holding out on us huh!!!! When I cut braided fuel/oil lines I use a 1/16" cut off wheel, you can also hack saw or saws all it as well, put masking/similiar tape around the line, mark the cut line and have at it,,, this is the best way I have found. One thing I have also learned,,, those little wires can stick the hell out of ya too!!!
It would seem so, that means I went throuigh all that trouble getting two sets of cables, comparing them, taking pics, uploading and linking the pics while typing all that up (trying not to misspell too much). All the while thinking I may have found the holy grail FOR NOTHING!!!!

&$*&^T(^$$#(&^(%%^(60, and that's all I'm gonna say about that. [sm=joke.gif]

J/K, if nothing else its a good piece of info for the newer guys who seem to be popping up every other day.

As far as cutting braided lines goes. The best, quickest, and cleanest way I have found is to use tape, mark the tape and use my Dremel tool with asuper fine saw blade or abrasive cutting wheel to cut the braiding. Then use a pair of diagonals or sharp knife to cut the liner. The Dremel makes short work of the braiding and not cutting all the way through keeps any fine bits and pieces of metal or abrasive out of the insides.
Only tried using a hacksaw a couple of times and found that I never seem to havea blade handy that hasfine enough teeth to do the job rightwhen Ineed one. And using the wrong blade can and usually does make an ugly mess out of the braiding.

BTW Gumby, how do you like those plug wires? I have heard different things about different brands. Some seem to look and work fine, while others seem to have horror stories surrounding them. Personally I like the look, be nice to get wires that match my cables. But if they are going to screwthings up, I can easily learn to live without them.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

BTW Gumby, how do you like those plug wires? I have heard different things about different brands. Some seem to look and work fine, while others seem to have horror stories surrounding them. Personally I like the look, be nice to get wires that match my cables. But if they are going to screwthings up, I can easily learn to live without them.
I just put them on one year ago. I am running electronic ign (Mallory) with a matched coil. So far, so good. What have you heard, so I can be on the look out for it? I just stopped at DennisJerk on the way home today, and picked up more hose and another set of the wires, only for the FLH. I am still running points in that one. Just would like to know if someone else has had problems with them. THANX and again, sorry guys. Now you gots me guessin' on what other "secrets" I should quick divulge. UHHHH, let's see, you already know I'm an azclown and a bonehead, so that can't be it.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:05 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Info, Thanks

Quick Reply: Diamondback cable discovery