Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Phobia after an accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Riding Phobia after an accident

Ok so I'm not an experienced rider I owned a fat boy in 2002 which was stolen a couple of years later, then last christmas I bought mean RK custom, I'm 50 years old and to make the story short about a month ago I was clipped by a car on my way with two other riders to the rock store,making aleft turn from Ventura Blvd intoTopanga canyon, I rolled on the ground , was banged up a little helmet took a beating protecting my azz, bike was about 5K in damage, which all fixed now.
Now here's the real problem, I got my bike back a couple of weeks ago, and when I was heading down to the dealer to pick it up I was getting those butterfly feeling in my stomach, I got there , set on the bike , those butterflies were flapping harder, I thought ok that's normal,I started the bike as soon as I move off the side walk my heart droped , I felt in panic, I am a strong person by nature , so I toughed it out followed my friend who droped me off to pick up bike to his place , we picked up his bike and we both went for a ride up the Hollywood lake , thru some really wild tunrs , I was scared shiatless, went to restaurant grabbed a bit and took the bike back home, I was emotionly exauhsted, but I though ok I needed to do this good thing I went up the lake thru those roads and stuff good it's over I'm done, I got over that hurdle.
Well I was mistaken, a couple of days ago, My friend called me to go for a ride and as soon as he said that I was in distress, so of course I thought comon , I can do it I got on my bike and as soon as I saw that garage door opening, I was in panic again, and when I dropped off the side walk to the street I was freaking out, I got to his house and my mouth was so dry all the way to my throat I couldn't swallow, I ran to his kitchen and grabbed some water, so we went for a little ride after that and I came back home.
This weekend I am going to take the ride like pro class in playa del rey, hoping this will help me gettting over this phobia I am experiencing.
Any thoughts on this from the experienced riders,I am sure many of you have been true this before,any input will be greatly appreciated, if this keep on I am giving up riding , it's not fun for me like this at all.
thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Duck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding Phobia after an accident

i took the msf course today as a refresher. this is the second time i have taken this course and it is very helpful in building confidence. they gave you little 250s in the class i took today but they also offer a course where you can ride your own bike. maby that would be helpful. it would definately be a confidence booster.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep at it. When you fall off a horse, you gotta get right back on. That's what my Grandpa used to say. Or you can do like everyone else in CA and numb your feelings with psycho-drugs. Not what I, or Grandpa, would recommend. Just think about this when you ride............

take your mind off the fear.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Hey Xguy, sounds like your beating yourself up pretty bad. Don't. Accidents happen all the time. You took a little spill,
now move forward and learn from it. Do you live in the Valley? I live in Encino/Tarzana and know exactly that intersection
where you got clipped. In fact, my cousin is the vetrinarian doctor right there on the corner. He's been there 10 years and
says on the weekends there are about 10 incidents a day on that same turn. I've been riding for 5 years (I'm 45) and average
7500 miles a year, and I still avoid turning on that corner. I go past it, and turn left at the pharmacy and double back.
I would recommend re-evaluating your relationship with you bike, and start doing little runs till you get confortable again with
your machine. Riding here in Los Angeles, you have to be absolutely 110% percent alert and in unison with your machine or
else. Don't throw in the towel just yet, set small goals, and re-evaluate as you go. Hope to see you around, and on two wheels.
You ever want to go on a slow, weekend, no traffic run, drop me a PM.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
mstecn
6th Gear

take a day long ride with friends and enjoy think food

Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Oh hell, Xguy. I feel ya!

In 2000 I got clipped by a guy in a dually while on my old Trump...Nearly tore my leg off(thank all the gods for good boots)! Gettin' back on after that was a bit squirrely. My first ride I was sweatin' bullets! It DID get better though.

In '02 I bought my Sporty. A year later I let a friend (a very experienced rider) take her out. He was killed & my bike was torn up. Gettin' back on when she was fixed was even harder than when it was ME who got hit. Again, I just kept on & got my confidence back.

Last April I got hit head on by a local cop. I broke my thigh(compound), my shoulder, my hips in four places, my left arm was nearly torn off (had to amputate above the elbow six months later)& I had a brain bleed.

After all that, I fully intend to ride again. I went for my first prosthetic fitting today & ,as soon as my settlement comes through, I'll be getting another ride.

That said, take your time & ease back into it. Try not to let the panic get to you. The riders Safety course may be just the thing to restore your confidence! I sincerely hope you can get past this & learn to enjoy riding again. It would be such a shame to lose something you genuinely love. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear your story. Just to let you know you’re not alone. When I was a little younger I went through a barbed wire fence at about 45 miles an hour. Tore me up real good. I was younger as I mentioned and had a little less respect for life than I do now. I road the next day granted not very fast. I spent over 6 hours on the operating table for massive stitches. It was a little intimidating to ride however I just had to do it or I might not be riding today. I think you’ve made the first steps by getting back on. It will take some time before those feelings in your gut leave. Be assured they will, for the most part. Try to keep your riding to unpopulated areas and run at a slower pace even if you need to pull over to let people go past. Enjoy the ride not trying to push your skills or doing things that might be a little difficult just have fun and feel the breeze and notice the changes in temperature and smells along the way. I’m also 50 now and I still look for fences on unknown roads. Hope things go good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/262EB2154A3F41C88D0E189FA9DED223.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I rode home after my last accident at 35mph.

I had too....just had too.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you really are a strong person, you knew you didnt want to ride but did it twice, and didnt wimp out and call it quits. AND your taking even more steps to get over it.

I believe you can and WILL get over this.

and to the other people who said think about something else, a Phobia is a irrational fear. He is not purposely thinking about getting hit or dying, but he can't help when he feels when he is on the bike now.

good news is if you didnt have it before, and suddenly developed it, it can be reversed, though sometimes not so easily. just keep at it.

try a few things to narrow down this irrational fear. ride a 250cc bike or smaller, or try riding a TRIKE and see if you feel calmer. the stability doesnt seem like much but it can totally change your unconcious mind.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM
notorious
Road Captain

X-man,
You'll be fine however, it may take some time to readjust to the reality of riding; which is almost a oxymoron due to riding to excape reality. I crashed many a year ago, but jumped right back on whenI was able. I was on nerves end and eventually gave up riding for some time for various reasons. I missed the feel of the road and all of the things that make riding so pleasurable,I hopped back on. I realize, and you should too, when it's your time to go, well there is nothing going to stop it from happening so you might as well enjoy you life for what it is worth.
What you describe is anxiety based on fear of crashing. Fear is defined as the unknown element that some justify as the precurser to anxiety. Well they both feed on each other. That's why we here the phrase "[we]...have nothing to fear than fear itself". You just have to reconize yes, you may die riding just as easy as crashing your car or natural disaster or heart attack. Regardless, you reconize the consequences therefore fear can not be implied (you know what may happen), onlybutterflys which you shall overcome. Many people quit right where you are and that's OK if you do. No sweat, take your time lay off for a while if you feel, but don't sell your bike just yet.

Quick Reply: Riding Phobia after an accident