General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Phobia after an accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:51 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding Phobia after an accident

Xguy, you've got a lot of great friends here. All brudda and sister riders who've been there. I've never been down on pavement - lot's of dirt eating on motocross, but that doesn't count.

My experience with anxiety is a little different. As a drill sgt for 14 years, I taught rapelling to hundreds of recruits. Me and my buds (all drills and officers) were on the 70 foot tower. I hate heights but had no trouble forcing myself to go. I no sooner stepped off the top when I heard a "pop" as my carabiner snapped in half and disappeard.My only connection to the rope was now my hands and legs. 2nd degree burns on my hands and legs all the way down. All of us were shocked - never heard of such a thing before. Now you know I've gotta go back up right away or I'll never get back up there again. On the very next rapel, I heard the "pop" again - another broken carabiner, and another fall from 65+ feet. Now what are the odds. Minor injuries and more burns.

The folks here have given you the BEST advice. I studied every book on rapelling that I could get - probably mor than 50 books. I learned about every type of rope, every type of equipt. and every type of fall and what you could do about it. I studied it like every tower and rock face was my enemy and I was here to conquer it. It really helped.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that several folks here have said the same thing in a way. Study what happend in your accident. What couldYOU have done to increase the chances that the car behind you could see you better and avoid clipping you, lights on bright to helpcars in front see you, keeping your headlight faced into oncoming traffic, etc. Warning brake flashes before the intersection to back them off, etc. Treat every cager as not only someone whocould hurt you, but as someone who it TRYING to hurt you, then act accordingly.Study everytechnique of safe riding - advanced avoidance, better risk detection, advanced traction control, etc. The MSF couse is a great start, and there are hundreds of great books.

Also, you can get more confidence from the best safety apparel. You don't have to dress like a grand prix racer to get good leather armor and a great helmet. There's a lot of really great looking "old school" stuff as well. I ride fullface when I know I'm gonna be in heavy traffic. Once in a while some idiot will make a smart *** comment. I just tell them I've got a chest full of ribbons, and wall full of plaques, and a body covered in scars that proves how big my ***** are, and that I didn't see their name of any of it. Usually shuts them up, LOL!

Hope to see you riding happy soon!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I understand. I have been clipped twice which scared me. Then hit head on which scared me so bad I quit riding for 25 years. You gotta do what makes you feel right and don't let anyone tell you that your feelings are not valid.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, thanks again for all the the posts and for sharing your experiences, beleive I read every single one of them in depth.
Anyway as promised I said I was gonna update you after taking the class, I just got home , and I am very exhausted to say the least, physically that is, the class wasa littlestranoues, but nothing that a grown man can't handle, emotionally I can say I feel pretty good, the instructor Mark Paz, is as nice and as patient as they come, apparantly he had read this post here, but didn't tell me till the end , when he asked me "how you feel now gus ready to hit the street again" he was very pleased with my progress, I started out very clumsy but he stuck there with me , and by the third excercise he was screaming "excellent Gus" which really really boosted my confidence up, I used one of his motorcyles Kawasaky 1000 police, granted it's not as heavy as my bike , but by the end of the class it felt like a bicycle , I enjoyed the class so much and I feel very good about doing it. Last night my self confidence was down the gutter I even thought about calling Mark and see about cancelling, I'm so glad I didn't, and so glad I went, Thank you Mark, and thank everyone here for the great support. I'm gonna take baby steps on my bike as many suggested here, and practice a lots of parking lot and try to stay away from trafic and we'll see how it goes.
peace.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
garydogwood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hang in there bud. some things take time to work through. mental demons can be tough but make em work for you. i've been down a few times (all my fault) with no lasting effects however, i might feel differently if got hit by a car. a little reminder pops in my head when i am in a similar situation that caused prev accidents. it is hard to give advice without being in your shoes; just want to wish you the best of luck in conquering the *******. just remember you know how to ride.

maybe try riding out on the country roads forawhile where there is not much traffic. i believe a lot of folks get a little nervous when ridingwith lots of big *** cars / trucks around youina hurry and talking on cell phones,eating a hamburger, etc. especially when in a fairly large city where everyone is in ahurry. not to sound freaky or anything but when riding in these conditions i am super alert to everything but realize that the grim reaper may be driving one of thosecars. ride assafe as possiblebut not so cautious that you becomes a hazard (you know, like those blue haired old ladies driving around their lincolns).

gw/

Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot of good stories, advice, and support. I think everyone of us have had a feeling with our love for the ride. You have conquered the worst of it, you will ride again like you did, but with more confidence and fear which is a good thing. We can never be too sure of what the lies in the roads. Hang in there and take some slow time, just you and bike, become one again.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

Try riding around your neighborhood for a while until you get comfortable again. Then gradually expand your limits. A brush like yours can really shake the foundations but, if you take it easy in a familiar place, you'll soon gain your riding legs again. I've always been told that it is a good thing that we fear like we do. It keeps us alert and in check with those cagers out there. The main thing is take it slow and easy until you are ready to rip the countryside again. Get a ride bell...or tell your wife to get you one, that will double the power. A little superstition is a good thing from time to time.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Just keep on keeping on.....your doing exactly the right thing. Dont try to push the accident out of your mind....keep it there....go over it a thousand times, until your 100% sure of exactly what happened and what you must do to avoid that sort of thing in the future. Just keep in mind that you are totally in control.....you can and will enjoy yourself, because you have the knowledge and ability to "ride your ride"....you know your bike, and you know yourself......and you also know there is nothing that will keep you from enjoying riding your bike....when and where you want. Just remember to wear the appropriate safety gear....keep your head on a swivel....and ride your mirrors.

You will be just fine.....but I think you know that already.

besides.....the chicks dig scars!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

XGuy,

You did great in class. You started out a little apprehensive, and I thought you were in for a long day, but by the time we got to the off set exercise, you GOT IT. Your confidence went up, and you were handling the bike very well. Comparing how you were with the initial cone weave, and how you did in the Figure 8 and Iron Cross was like night and day. Well done, and remember, you are welcome to take the course again at no charge. I look forward to seeing you back, and out on the road.

Ride Safe.

Mark

Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

i was sideswiped last july by two cars, the one that caused it , an arab women on a cell phone (big suprise there) fled the scene and the second car that hit me took my shoulder out putting my arm on the side of my rib cage. pretty nasty dislocation. i jus had arthroscopic surgery last tuesday to repair the damage that was done. i can understand your fear and paranoia. i had fixed my bike an was back up and riding three weeks later after the accident. i was alil nervous at first but i told myself i had to get over it and jus keep on my toes. if i had continued to feel paranoid something was going to happen i felt it eventually would havebecause i wouldnt be riding with confidence and that can lead to an accident.

my only advice havingbeen in your shoes before is to be confindent and aware and dont let that experiencerun acrossyour mind while your riding and if it shakes you up that bad then i wouldnt ride because your confidence isnt 100% and thats no bueno. good luck

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paniolo

XGuy,

You did great in class. You started out a little apprehensive, and I thought you were in for a long day, but by the time we got to the off set exercise, you GOT IT. Your confidence went up, and you were handling the bike very well. Comparing how you were with the initial cone weave, and how you did in the Figure 8 and Iron Cross was like night and day. Well done, and remember, you are welcome to take the course again at no charge. I look forward to seeing you back, and out on the road.

Ride Safe.

Mark
Mark

Thank you very much man, beleive it or not I almost called you the night before to cancel that how low my self confidence was on up until I saw that look on your face when I did the cone weave, and Ithought oh boy I'm wondering at one point of the day I was gonna tell mike thanks man I tried and call it a day, but I thought nah I can do this I have to focusand this is when I snapped, thanks for hanging in there with me, and for your incouraging remarks when I did well , they were very healing to my confidence you have no idea. You are an awsome instrucvtor and I have recommended your class to many of my friends already and I recommanded to anyone who lives in the Los Angeles area, great class greta instructor, thanks again Mark and I look forward to see you again.

Peace
Gus