General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tipping Over

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts
Default RE: Tipping Over

Some bikes fall over when parked on soft surfaces like grass, dirt or hot ashphalt. If this is a problem, get in the habit of carryinga plate you can place under your side stand. A flattened beer can works great, too.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't drop the bike. Proper technique for picking it up has already been discussed--read it--watch it. But don't drop the bike. You need to learn balance points and where the bike can't be held once it leans past a certain angles. You also need to learn where wheel flop and front brakes will cause you to drop the bike at slow speeds. This is a new rider question---makes me wonder if you know about high side--counter steering---braking and other techniques of riding. It sounds like you have lots of holes in your knowledge. There are lots of ways to learn to be a better rider and it has been covered on this web site. Lots of links to knowledge and instructions to riding. Good luck. Love to ride but learn to survive to ride another day.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Fletch19
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Thanks and I admire you and hope that I can be as nimble as you one day. I will investigate the information provided at this website and see how it can be of help to me. If you should know a place directly I would appreciate your direction. Happy Riding.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Fletch19
Advanced

Thanks so much, you are probably right in regards to the balance points, certain angles, and wheel flop. I will be looking for these points at the site. If you should have any other suggestions to make my riding experience better I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks again and Happy Riding

Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Fletch19
Advanced

A special thanks to everyone for their replies........Happy Riding

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I am a senior rider also (Sportster) and have to practice riding without the conversion kit. Have been going to an open parking lot (Idaho Center) for past week. Best purchase for your motorcycle is an engine guard....if bike falls over, won't go all the way down. Of course, no one wants to tip over in the first place, but Sportsters are known for being top heavy.
Too all of us over 60 lady riders...........too young for the rocking chair. [sm=biker.gif]

Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Fletch. Nice attitude about your riding. Yer bound to tip it over while you are learning to ride. If I were new with a sporty I would invest in some engine guards, then proceed to wring that puppy out at 5 MPH. thats where the rubber meets the road. You get that sucker tight at that speed and you will be able to handle your bike "Like a Pro". Also you should invest in this video. If you dont, at least check the site for the excercises, they will teach you a lot.
Ride safe...

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes. WTG ladies on your riding. Thats impressive.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200babe
.... I can easily lift a fully dressed Gold Wing.
I don't doubt it, but why would you want to? [sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
coastrider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you Spudster. I dropped mine in a parking lot when I first started riding. The engine guard makes a great halfway point in getting it right side up. Once you get it up on the engine guard you can take another grip and get it upright.

Ride Safe.

Quick Reply: Tipping Over